Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Why doesn't Unity buy Fuse?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by helgarddebarros, Jun 4, 2020.

1. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Adobe are dropping Fuse from September. The program will no longer be available for use. If Unity bought it, integrated it into Unity (as a package), wrote their own shaders for the skin textures, and then allowed merchants on the asset store to make clothing add-ons, they would provide an industry standard character creator, and make a lot of money on the asset store from the sale of outfits.

Just an idea...

mgear likes this.
  2. sxa

sxa

Your basic assumption is that Adobe would be selling it. Which is unlikely, to be honest.

Tanner555 and Joe-Censored like this.
  3. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

4. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Adobe gave its reasons for discontinuing Fuse by stating:

Focusing on these initiatives [Adobe's other offerings of 3D services] requires the full commitment of resources. And as a result, we’ve stopped future development of Adobe Fuse (Beta), a 3D character creation software acquired in 2015.

5. Baste

Baste

Adobe probably bought Fuse to remove competitors to it's other products. The plan was probably all along to kill it. So they're probably not really interested in something else buying it and reviving it - that'd go counter to Adobe's business goals.

6. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Which other product is Fuse competing with? What other character creator product does Adobe have?

7. Acissathar

Acissathar

There's already UMA, which is open sourced and has a few people making clothing for it on the asset store.

8. sxa

sxa

Because it contains IP they want to keep? Because their takeover of Mixamo doesnt allow them to? Because they cant be bothered?

Tons of reasons. Far more than to justify that they automatically would.

Martin_H and Ryiah like this.
  9. sxa

sxa

Autodesk Character Designer
    Reallusion Character Creator
    Daz
    Poser
    Makehuman
    etc

Martin_H likes this.
  10. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

None of those belong to Adobe.

11. sxa

sxa

Yes, that's why it was the answer to your first question, not your second one.

12. neginfinity

neginfinity

Ryiah and Deleted User like this.
  13. neoshaman

neoshaman

Also UMA
    stating it again

14. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is it compatible with Unity?

16. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yes, none of them belong to Adobe, which is the point. Adobe dropping support for Fuse does not mean that Fuse is for sale, but that they want to hold on to the right to a lot of its tech and functionality, probably with the end goal of integrating some of that functionality into their most relevant products (Photoshop, for instance, would benefit greatly from having a pose/character tool built into it), or to just sit on it for special licensing reasons.

Joe-Censored and Ryiah like this.
  17. neginfinity

neginfinity

It's free. You can download and check. It should be able to produce compatible textures, but last time I used it was ages ago. Steam reviews talk about having to use mixamo autorigger to animate/rig the model, though.

18. sxa

sxa

Its more than likely some of the Fuse IP will go into Dimension, which is the product the Mixamo team were developing. And now that Allegorithmic are more or less in charge of Adobe's 3D division, the ex-Mixamo people are obviously going to be part of wherever they go.

(FWIW, the deprecation of Fuse has resulted in Adobe propping up support for the Mixamo animation/rigging site as per the announcement at
    https://theblog.adobe.com/an-update-on-adobe-fuse-as-adobe-moves-to-the-future-of-3d-ar-development/)

As neginfinity says, the older version of Fuse is still on Steam, for free. Slightly different topology and older/cruder Substances, AFAIR, especially the skin textures, but free...

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

There is no Linux version; I would need to switch to Windows, install Unity and then test. I'd like to know if Fuse is worth all this trouble. :)

20. sxa

sxa

well, you could try in in wine. or a vm.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Why should I do that? Just tell me if it works with Unity or not.

22. sxa

sxa

Would you like to rephrase that as a polite request, instead of a rather rude demand?

JoNax97 likes this.
  23. neoshaman

neoshaman

It creates meshes, meshe work with unity, the question don't make sense, it's a separated program, it has nothing to do with unity

Ryiah likes this.
  24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. Could be useful then. :)

25. neginfinity

neginfinity

Because it is a possible way to run Fuse in your environment and you wanted to try it out.
    (-_-)

26. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

if u are serious sir, windows is your friend. if u are not try as you like, though wine and vm is often unstable, also i would not recommend old version of software on steam. no updates = problems.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  27. Her signature clearly states that "I'm a woman".
    And please stop using "sir", it is passive aggressive on a forum.

Deleted User and Ryiah like this.
  28. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

i dont have signature enable and english not strength. thanks

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

This comment is offensive towards non Windows users; I refrained myself from reporting it. Many professional do not use Windows either.

Anyway the discussion is closed as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2020
  30. Ryiah

Ryiah

Says the individual who used the phrase "i feel" every time they were claiming my experiences were wrong.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-is-not-worth-using-right-now.906323/#post-5946398
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-is-not-worth-using-right-now.906323/#post-5946413
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-is-not-worth-using-right-now.906323/#post-5946425

neoshaman likes this.
  31. Doodel

Doodel

Excuse me for coming back to topic, but I love the idea of Unity buying Mixamo and developing it further. I never forgave Adobe for just abandoning such a promissing service and I used a ton of it's animations, characters and features for my projects. Regardless of how unrealistic it may be for Adobe to actually selling it, the service would be a huge benefit for Unity if integrated properly.

32. neoshaman

neoshaman

unity already have mecanim with free retargeting
    +
    asset store have a healthy amount of free animation assets

with motion matching and their rigging solution, you would just need a custom front end to get ahead

33. sxa

sxa

If VMs are 'often unstable', why are they used for so much computing infrastructure?

34. sxa

sxa

Ah, I see. You were confusing it with that other thing called WINE, the one which is actually called 'WINE is not an emulator'. I can understand your mistake.

35. sxa

sxa

Isnt that you getting bogged down in semantics?

36. neoshaman

neoshaman

fortunately I didn't say or imply it was as the "custom front end" allude to, I'm saying the low hanging fruits are there for anybody to build on

37. sxa

sxa

has unit_dev123 deleted all the posts they made in this thread too?

38. But as far as we know Mixamo isn't for sale (okay, neither is Fuse).