Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Why are graphics moving away from supporting Linear Blend Skinning node?

Discussion in 'DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A' started by DreamingImLatios, Dec 8, 2022.

1. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

The Linear Blend Skinning mode has been far superior in performance for me. And while limited to only four bones and no blend shapes, I feel such limitations are sufficient for less-detailed LODs. In addition, the technique consumes less resources, especially memory and memory bandwidth.

So what is the status of this node? Is it going to be phased out completely? Will it be extended to support motion vectors? Will I need to modify Shader Graph to bring it back?

2. Jebtor

Jebtor

Unity Technologies

The whole deformation stack for entities is still in experimental. All its components and features are carefully evaluated and tested to check if they bring value. As a result, we do not have a concrete answer to this question at the moment. We will make sure to take user feedback into account in our decision.

As for motion vectors, right now, it is unlikely this will come to the LBS node in the near term.