Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Which networking solution

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Tools' started by AkilaStudio, Mar 18, 2023.

?

Which networking solution should I use for fast biased game?

1. Networking for game objects

71.4%
  2. Mirror

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. FishNet

14.3%
  4. Photon

14.3%
  1. AkilaStudio

AkilaStudio

I want to implement multiplayer in my game (fast paced) and I don't know which networking solution to use.

If your answer is Photon which product besides Fusion?

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  2. KikiSaintonge

KikiSaintonge

Unity Technologies

Unsure of what you mean by "fast biased" - do you mean "fast based" or "fast paced"? Additionally, understanding a bit more about the kind of gameplay you'll be building will also be a key factor in deciding the types of netcode feature support you need to enable it

3. AkilaStudio

AkilaStudio

I meant fast paced

4. KikiSaintonge

KikiSaintonge

Unity Technologies

If you are planning on building a competitive game, where reaction time against another human player is key, I would suggest either Netcode for Entities or either of Photon's solutions. However, if you are doing fast-paced cooperative or PvE game, then any of the solutions you listed above should work just fine - although I'm biased towards netcode for gameobjects :)

AkilaStudio likes this.
  5. Kreshi

Kreshi

If this is your first multiplayer game I suggest to go with Netcode for GameObjects and client-authoritative input for the sake of simplicity (it is going to get complicated anyway). You can worry about cheating, server-authoriative hit-detection with lag compensation and overall optimization later.

I think it is more important to make your game playable first so you can iterate some playtests early in development.

Fish-Net looks super solid as well judging by their description and the reviews - however I haven't used it.

If the scale of your game is super big or/and you have good experience with ECS specificly and DOTS generally than Netcode for Entities will be a good option.

AkilaStudio likes this.