Search Unity

Feedback Which networking solution

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Tools' started by AkilaStudio, Mar 18, 2023.

?

Which networking solution should I use for fast biased game?

1. Networking for game objects

71.4%
  2. Mirror

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. FishNet

14.3%
  4. Photon

14.3%
  1. AkilaStudio

AkilaStudio

I want to implement multiplayer in my game (fast paced) and I don't know which networking solution to use.

If your answer is Photon which product besides Fusion?

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  2. KikiSaintonge

KikiSaintonge

Unity Technologies

Unsure of what you mean by "fast biased" - do you mean "fast based" or "fast paced"? Additionally, understanding a bit more about the kind of gameplay you'll be building will also be a key factor in deciding the types of netcode feature support you need to enable it

3. AkilaStudio

AkilaStudio

I meant fast paced

4. KikiSaintonge

KikiSaintonge

Unity Technologies

If you are planning on building a competitive game, where reaction time against another human player is key, I would suggest either Netcode for Entities or either of Photon's solutions. However, if you are doing fast-paced cooperative or PvE game, then any of the solutions you listed above should work just fine - although I'm biased towards netcode for gameobjects :)

AkilaStudio likes this.
  5. Kreshi

Kreshi

If this is your first multiplayer game I suggest to go with Netcode for GameObjects and client-authoritative input for the sake of simplicity (it is going to get complicated anyway). You can worry about cheating, server-authoriative hit-detection with lag compensation and overall optimization later.

I think it is more important to make your game playable first so you can iterate some playtests early in development.

Fish-Net looks super solid as well judging by their description and the reviews - however I haven't used it.

If the scale of your game is super big or/and you have good experience with ECS specificly and DOTS generally than Netcode for Entities will be a good option.

AkilaStudio likes this.