Search Unity

which CPU is better for unity dev? 13900k or 7950x

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lorizju, Apr 18, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorizju

lorizju

Would like to upgrade my 2019 MacbookPro(8 core i9-9880h/64G memory/SSD speed up to 2000M/s r/w) to Windows PC because WRITE CODE->SWITCH TO UNITY is really slow, sometimes take more than 15s for unity editor response after writing some code.

Considering 13900k/13700k or 7950x/7900x, which cpu has better benchmark agains unity editor?

thank you very much.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

3. spiney199

spiney199

It did in my experience. Though it was a large jump from an old i7-5960X, to an i9-12900kf. Not sure of the change from going to one semi-recent i9 to another though.

Though single-core performance benefits you a lot more than more cores when it comes to the domain reload process.

And I'll note that the 'script compilation' is just one small part of the domain reload process, which in itself is pretty quick. Often assembly definitions don't make of a difference here. It's all the other parts of the domain reload that take up lots of time, and also gets affected by other hardware aspects such as drive speed.

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

If it's taking 15 seconds to do domain reloads, you're absolutely pushing up against "Every script in the project is compiling again." It's also why you'll see major improvements by moving whatever assets you can into the Plugins folder, because that itself is basically an assembly definition in folder form.

5. spiney199

spiney199

Well you can see where the actual time per domain reload is going as they a logged in the editor.log file. In my experience it's always been the AssetDatabase portion of the reload that takes the most time; which is improved by faster drives.

Nonetheless I agree assembly definitions are good in any case, especially from a code organisation perspective.

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.