Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

HARDWARE / LAPTOP / COMPUTER for use in Unity development? Ask here! (and only here)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scorp2007, May 15, 2021.

1. scorp2007

scorp2007

MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    Moving all hardware related questions here. Do not create a new thread if you want suggestions on hardware related to using Unity. Please look through this thead and if you don't see answer, reply to this thread. New threads of this nature will be deleted.

----------------------------------------

hi, tell me a laptop with such characteristics is suitable for working with a unity? for creating SMALL 2D and 3D games.

Lenovo Ideapad 3 (81W2001HRK)
    CPU: AMD Athlon Silver 3050U (2.3)
    RAM: 8gb (2400 MHz)
    GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 2 ( - 1100 MHz) (in GPU)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2021
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Have any examples of the games you would normally create that you can share? Because saying they're "small" doesn't have any real meaning behind it. You can have small games that would be very difficult to make on that laptop and vice versa.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    troynall likes this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

People are always asking about advice on hardware for use in Unity/Game development. Often many are the same. So ask them here...AFTER you have looked through the prior responses. That way we can have it all in one place. Please stick to number and general information, opinions and useless chattering/advice will be cleaned out.

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Gaming PCs are usually a good fit for game development. Every month, PC Gamer magazine updates three PC build specs: budget, mid-range, and top-of-the-line. Their specs are a good starting point -- for prices and for type of components -- whether you're planning to build your own or compare components to pre-assembled PCs. You may not need the full power of a mid-range PC, or even their budget build, if you're just starting out with simple 2D games. But you never know when you might graduate to games that require a little more power. Ultimately, though, Unity can get by on fairly low-end machines, so don't let that stop you from starting on your game idea with whatever computer you have available to you.

5. xjjon

xjjon

I would recommend a desktop PC for good value / performance - but the Macbook Pro is surprisingly really good for general dev work. At least better than my experiences with windows laptop (in similar price range) when you factor in things like longevity and reliability.

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Just to clarify, this thread is primarily for people to ask questions, so we don't have a ton of threads all asking pretty much the same questions. ( Honestly I was tempted to title it "Ask Ryiah"... ;) )
    Let's try to keep is specific and just not sharing our opinions on platforms/manufacturers/stores, etc. Thanks!

MadeFromPolygons, Meltdown and xjjon like this.
  7. Meltdown

Meltdown

Please critique my next PC build. I want a PC that is first and foremost good for working in Unity, making builds (I have TeamCity setup locally), and doing a bit of gaming.

Currently my Ryzen 2700X takes 12-13 minutes to push out a WebGL build, which is just too slow! Also faster script compilation in Unity Editor would be nicer. Takes 15 seconds each time I change a script for Unity to refresh! I'm on 2019.4.

I have a 3080 RTX already which I will be moving into this build.

HDDSAM980700 Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD Read up to 7000MB/s, Write Up to 5100MB/s ,5 Years Warranty $698.99 1 $698.99 inc.
    PSUASU01200 ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum Power Supply, with Aura Sync and OLED Display. Full modular. 10 Years Limited Warranty $698.99 1 $698.99 inc.
    MEMGSK32143 G.SKILL Trident Z Royal RGB F4-4000C16D-32GTRS 32GB RAM (2 x 16GB) DDR4 4000MHz, CL16, 1.4v Desktop Memory ,16-19-19-39, Silver $709.00 1 $709.00 inc.
    CHAASU0101 ASUS ROG Strix Helios White Edition Mid Tower gaming case with tempered glass,Support EATX, ATX, MATX, MINI ITX, aluminum frame, GPU braces, 420mm radiator support and Aura Sync,Support CPU Cooler up to 190mm, VGA up to 450mm, White,RGB $569.00 1 $569.00 inc.
    CPUAMD05950X AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core,32 Threads, up to 4.9 GHz Max Boost, Socket AM4, 64MB total Cache ,105W TDP ,Extended Frequency Range (XFR) in the presence of better cooling. Heatsink Required $1,388.99 1 $1,388.99 inc.
    WTRNZX0064 NZXT Kraken Z63 All in one Liquid Cooler 280MM RGB, 2.36" Display, Customize Display, 2X Aer P140 Fans, Intel Socket 1200,1151, 1150, 1155, 1156,1366, 2011, 2011-3, 2066, AMD SocketTR4 (Bracket Provide By AMD CPU Package), AM4, FM2+, FM2, F $459.00 1 $459.00 inc.
    MBDGBM35718 Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME eATX For AMD Ryzen 2nd/3rd Gen 5000 Series CPU,AM4, X570, 4XDDR4 DIMM,3XM.2, 3XPCIE 4.0 X16 , 11 X USB, 1XType C, 10G LAN,WiFi 6 +BT, Internal I/O:. 2XUSB3.1, 1XUSB2.0, 2X 12V RGB Header, 2X 5V RGB Header, 1xType $1,298.99 1 $1,298.99 inc.

Thanks!

8. MDADigital

MDADigital

First of all upgrade to 2020, alot of improvement in build times.

Otherwise pretty solid computer. I would not recommend AIO cooler, better to go with a custom loop. Let me know if you want me to put together one.

Memory I would go with 3800 cl14 instead of those 4000 cl16.

Asus haven't made a big name for them self in the chassi market so can't say much, I would maybe go with a more common full tower like Corsair Obsidian 1000D, Phanteks Enthoo or similar

Meltdown likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

What clock rates are you typically seeing with your 5950X both single-threaded and all cores maxed?

10. MDADigital

MDADigital

Cinebench r23 single core and I get around 4.8 to 4.9

Multicore I get around 4.4 to 4.5 all core

Edit: Ryzen master reported.
    Edit: 40c at single core. Around 55 to 60c all core
    Edit: EK Velocity water block 3x120 radiator shared with rtx 3090

Edit: btw to compare you need to run the same load it's very much task dependant

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    MadeFromPolygons and Ryiah like this.
  11. Meltdown

Meltdown

What is wrong with an AIO coolder? What is a custom loop?

And why is the slower RAM better?

I would have upgraded to 2020 if it wasn't for all the changes they made to the WebGL template stuff.

12. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

They are usually mediocre. You usually better off with a cheaper but better air cooler.
    With that said, I have one, cooling my 3950x, but I have a micro case which is fairly open. (The air cooler would struggle in it since the airflow comes from everywhere). Not to mention I wouldn't find a fairly good air cooler which still fits in the limited space I have.
    CO-PSC-K.jpg
    Generally you shouldn't use that. It requires a lot of care and knowledge. You can put together water cooling manually. I mean buy the pipes, fittings, elbows, pumps, reservoir separately and put together manually inside your case.
    I don't recommend it to anyone who wants to use their computer instead of fiddling with one.
    Great hobby, but not productive if you use your computer for work.

Because the access timing is better. Think of it this way: you have a car, it can go fast, but there is another car which has a better acceleration. On short, burst etaps, the second one will perform better. On the long, elongated races, the first one is. You usually use memory on short quick bursts instead of long reads. >>>usually<<<
    So in general you are better off with the fast access timing even if it is a bit slower in general.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  13. Meltdown

Meltdown

Can you recommend an air cooler for the 5950x?

14. Komikom

Komikom

Any recommendations on cheap but capable used-market ARCore Android device?
    Samsung A5?

15. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Since I do not own 5950x, I wouldn't guess with good conscience. Look for a well-known and generally trustworthy review site and see what they recommend. Like GamerNexus or similar (please don't take this as an endorsement, I trust them, but ultimately you should decide for yourself if you do too).
    Also, as usual, AIOs are coming in all sort of price-ranges and sizes, so you may find some which better for specific purpose and situation (like me) than the other.
    Put in an hour for research, make some google searches or watch some YT videos from reviewers.

Meltdown likes this.
  16. MDADigital

MDADigital

AIO coolers are usally worse than a good aircooler actually. A custom loop is a loop put together with different high quality parts from EK, XSPC, Laing etc.

4000 mhz is not guaranteed on zen 3 neither is 3800 but its pretty much guaranteed. I would go with the better latency on the 3800 mhz.

17. MDADigital

MDADigital

He has already taken the step to build from custom parts so not a big step to use custom water cooling. Back in the day it was more job, but today full tower chassis are built for it etc.

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

Mine is the Noctua NH-D15S.

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s

My case is a Fractal Design Define 7 which is optimized for silence at the expense of cooling. Running Cinebench R23 I'm seeing 4.55GHz single-core and 3.70GHz multi-core. I have no doubt it's my case holding my system back. With a proper case (and a second heatsink fan) I expect the multi-core would be 4.0 to 4.2GHz.

19. MDADigital

MDADigital

That and aircooling

edit: ah, sorry missed 4.0 to 4.2 yeah that seems resonable on air.. But why not reach the skies :p

Also custom water loop is silent in normal operations.

edit: The silicon lottery is also important aspect

edit2: Have you made sure you have proper contact? 3.7 all core seems low.

20. MDADigital

MDADigital

If anyone wants to go with water cooling a AM4 I would go with

block https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-velocity-amd-copper-acetal
    rad https://www.xs-pc.com/radiators-rx-series/rx360-triple-fan-radiator-v2
    pump I would go with a DDC Laing, https://laing-thermotech.com/industrial-commercial-pumps/ddc-pump/
    make sure to get a version with PWM feature so you can control flow and noise.
    Also do not cheap out on the pump top cover, They are important for best possible flow, like
    https://www.aquatuning.co.uk/water-cooling/pumps/laing-ddc/ddc-tops/

D5 is another great pump

When it comes to tubing I like thick tubes that make big loops instead of folds themself and creates flow problems.
    Like 3/8" (10mm) ID with a OD of 13mm.

21. Murgilod

Murgilod

And a billion times worse if you need performance, user serviceability, and a computer that costs less than $1300 for a base model with the performance of a mid-range PC laptop from 2014.

My advice for any buyers is this: if you do not plan on deploying to iOS or Mac, don't bother with an Apple device at all.

22. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

I had to use Macbook Pro for my day-job until last year. I used up 4 machines in the 4 years this was the case. The first, the screen literarily peeled off. The other three? Various keys stopped working or started to work too much. The abysmal performance is only secondary problem after the even more abysmal quality Apple dare to put out.

23. xjjon

xjjon

Yeah that is a good point - if your budget is $1300 or less it's not worth to consider any MBP (unless you are doing mobile and need xcode)

But the latest gen of macbook pro is pretty fast. ($1500 for 16gb spec) see benchmark below.

In terms of of cost comparison to a windows laptop you will pay a premium though, usually 20%~ for a comparable Dell and maybe 30% to a Lenovo.

I owned an XPS 13 and XPS 15 though and both started to have lots of problems after 3 years. Similar to my android phones (mostly samsung). Pretty much all my iPhones still work as new (save for battery life) and still get latest updates and can install my Unity games... can't say the same for my Galaxy S5 and S3..

I do 75% of my dev work on a windows PC though. The MacBook is for on-the-go or apple ecosystem work. Most of the corporate/enterprise machines we use now are Apple Laptops, linux desktop though (although if management would choose I think it would be Linux Laptop / Linux Desktop to save money)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...5G7-vs-Intel-i7-10700K/4104vs2905vs3793vs3733

upload_2021-5-17_12-56-0.png

24. Murgilod

Murgilod

This benchmark is kinda bunk, if I'm being honest, especially considering how the M1 chip has hardly been field tested in any capacity and suffers from even more compatibility woes than the Intel Macs already do. Not only that, but the Mac desktop options, if you can't use a laptop, are even more dire.

But here's the other thing. You bring up the XPS laptops, okay.

Have you ever tried using Dell's warranty? Now, have you ever tried using Applecare? Because Applecare is one of the worst warranties I've ever encountered. Not only is it dramatically more money, but it also covers next to nothing that Dell or Lenovo will. I've sent a laptop that was crushed under the wheel of a car to Dell within its warranty periods and had a new one on my doorstop less than a week later. Any physical damage under Applecare immediately voids the warranty if it can be considered the source of the problem.

It's not just performance, but quality of service as well as right to repair. Apple axes all of these things for a premium that never justifies itself unless you're already locked into their ecosystem.

25. Meltdown

Meltdown

I had a full time job for the whole of 2015 where I was 'forced' to use a Macbook and MacOS as that was the 'team policy', I thought I would get used to MacOS, but oh man, I just ended up facepalming about five time a day and ended up hating it more.

I had just immigrated to New Zealand and was on a work visa, so I couldn't just leave and get a job elsewhere. I had to ride it out until I got my residence visa.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  26. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. I applied thermal paste, screwed down the heatsink, unscrewed it, lifted it, and checked that it was fully covered with Noctua's NT-H1 compound.

27. MDADigital

MDADigital

Interesting, I just think it would do more than that. If you let it cool down to room temp power it up and quickly run cinebench do you get better clocks?

I have undervolted mine too btw

28. xjjon

xjjon

I haven't had to use either warranties before thankfully.. but now that you mention it I did buy a MBP 1 year ago~ (pre m1 version) that was bricked after 2 weeks of just running automated Unity -> XCode builds a couple times per day. I had forgotten about that incident. They did replace/refund it for me though as it was just 3 weeks old and it was not responsive to any resets or inputs. If they hadn't remedied it I would be ranting about it until the end times :D

29. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, the Dell I exchanged was 15 months old. This was in 2019, so maybe something changed, but if something goes wrong, Dell and Lenovo actually handle it. Anyone who has had to deal with Applecare can tell you that, quite often, Apple will just hold on to a computer for three weeks or more before it gets sent back to them, and that's after getting priority access for being an Applecare user instead of being out of warranty and paying.

30. Ryiah

Ryiah

A while back I installed Ryzen Master but never bothered to do much with it. This time I opened it up while the multi-core was running and noticed the CPU sitting at 65C. Apparently PBO was disabled by default. Enabling it brought the all core clocks up to 4GHz and the temperature is now 80C.

31. MDADigital

MDADigital

Yeah, I use both PBO and undervolt in tandem to reach my clocks.

32. Meltdown

Meltdown

33. Ryiah

Ryiah

Sounds good. I poked around the site you're linking components from and found the equivalent from Noctua (NH-D15 which is a NH-D15S with a second fan) just in case you wanted to see it too. It's all black including the heatsink itself.

Deepcool is a solid company though so it's entirely up to you which one you like.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/FANNOC4100/NOCTUA-NH-D15-Chromax-Black-PWM-CPU-Cooler-Multi-S

Noctua.jpg

Meltdown likes this.
  34. Meltdown

Meltdown

Thanks, yeah I saw that one too! It was a tough choice but I think the little bit of extra chrome sold me haha. Even though I'm a big fan of all things grey/carbon coloured.

35. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, I love Noctua stuff but most of the stuff I use only comes in the default colour scheme they use, which isn't a looker really.

I'd care a lot less if my case wasn't 75% glass by surface area.

Meltdown likes this.
  36. MDADigital

MDADigital

I'm using Noctua NF-A12x25's for my radiator really excellent fans. Pushes alot of air on low speeds

37. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm planning on grabbing a Noctua NH-D9L at some point in the future because while my case has absolutely fantastic cable and storage management, it has an absolute criminal 110mm hard limit on CPU coolers. I don't do any overclocking, so it's mostly fine, but headed into summer I'd like a different fan alignment and heatpipe based design for better cooling performance. AMDs can handle running a bit hot but my apartment tends to hover around 30°C in mid-Spring right up until late Autumn and that's a bit of a nightmare, thermally.

38. MDADigital

MDADigital

I can really remommend this case http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Elite.html
    Alot of space when working in it. Good cable management, good air flow. Good water cooling support, Just a great case.

Meltdown likes this.
  39. Meltdown

Meltdown

40. MDADigital

MDADigital

41. Murgilod

Murgilod

Mids are fine if you've got something that'll separate your drives from the rest of the enclosure like Rosewill does with a bunch of their cases. Easily alleviates problems like not being able to mount a GPU because your drive bay is jamming things up.

42. MDADigital

MDADigital

The drives? They are located on the mobo?
    I thought more about space to work in. Plus larger case means more space for radiators etc

43. gbeaver_unity

gbeaver_unity

Hey everyone would a Thinkpad p15s gen 1 with an I5, 16 gigs of ram, and a Quadro p520 2gigs ram will be sufficient to develop within Unity?

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  44. Murgilod

Murgilod

Most radiators (and even watercooling in general) offers little meaningful benefit with modern CPUs even when overclocked. Also there's still plenty of reason to use spinning platter storage, especially in games. This is something you run into quickly if you have an actual art asset pipeline being used in production.

upload_2021-5-18_15-5-58.png

Rather than a full tower where everything is slammed into one side, drives with air gaps mounted like this allow for clean cable management (there's more cable feeds on the other side but it's mspaint and I'm not putting the work into mspaint), plentiful airflow, dramatically better storage capabilities without drive bay constraints, and offers the profile of a mid tower instead.

The use cases you have, some of which you've kinda made for yourself, are not even remotely universal. We've been over this.

Not if you plan on anything that requires a GPU. The Quadro p520 only outperforms the Intel Iris line through fill rate and shader count support, but loses out on pretty much any of those benefits because it's running at a lower clock speed than even the consumer equivalent offering from NVidia.

45. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I don't believe Ryzen Master support the mobile APU's, unfortunately.

46. MDADigital

MDADigital

Nope its doesn't, I can run my fans at 30 procent and still cool my hardware efficiently. Also GPUs benefit greatly from water cooling. My 3090 never goes above 40 degrees even on max load.

What, NVMe makes alot of sense in gaming to reduce loading times etc. In fact tech like nanite actually requires NVMe gen4

I also have a 16 tb filserver but it's kept in my server room.

47. MDADigital

MDADigital

He is on a 5950x

Joe-Censored likes this.
  48. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Yeah I know. I was pointing it out for others the OP specifically asked about laptops.

MDADigital likes this.
  49. MDADigital

MDADigital

It became a sticky for all hardware related questions :) I will try on my boys 5900hs and see if it works

Joe-Censored likes this.
  50. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Didn't work on my 4800h a few weeks ago :p

hippocoder likes this.