Search Unity

Where do I put my dedicated server to publish my game?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Turtled, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Turtled

Turtled

Now that I've made my dedicated server using unet, would I upload it to some web host? If so how would I have it start automatically when the web server starts or interact with it when it is running? I can't just run the server on my machine, that'd be unreliable and my internet/hardware wouldn't be able to handle it.

2. MrDude

MrDude

You will need to rent a VPS, build and upload the game for Linux (VPS's start at $2 while Windows VPS's cost much, much more) and then launch the game in headless mode (since VPS's don't come with GPU's for you to run a full blown copy of your game on) using a CRON job.

That is how I understand it, at least.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You'd figure out what resource requirements your server needs and rent an appropriate server for it. That can be extremely inexpensive on the low requirements end for a virtual machine (VPS), all the way up to hundreds of dollars a month on the higher end for dedicated hardware, or anything in between.

Typically you'd rent a Linux server, produce a headless Linux build, scp it over to your server, and add it to one of the start up scripts if you think you need it to start automatically if the server is rebooted.

As far as interacting with it, that's up to you. You could build your own client to control the server. You could build yourself a web interface to control it. You could control it with a command console you build into your game client. You could have it periodically check some configuration files that you could modify while the game is running to change its operation. Lots of possibilities.

Turtled likes this.
  4. MostHated

MostHated

I recommend http://digitalocean.com I have been using them for years and you can get started for $10 or so a month with a decent vps and just upgrade as needed.

Joe-Censored and Turtled like this.