Search Unity

where can I find MMO tutorials... please help...

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by spiderclan123, Oct 22, 2012.

1. spiderclan123

spiderclan123

Hi I know you might find me a little dumb asking these newbie questions but I really hope you guys understand. I really want to learn the structure of MMO.. Maybe your goin to say that its hard or its not easy. but its fine. I dont actually mind whether how hard or how long will it take. for now I just want to know where Am I goin to start for me to learn this things./

2. appels

appels

3. Tiles

Tiles

A MMO is nothing else than a normal game with this and that features. So that`s the place to look for tutorials. Games. When you want to create a MMO then you should first drop the idea of an MMO and learn the basics of how to make a game. Create a bunch of normal games. And very important: finish them. A pong gives you the general idea, a pac man teaches you how to handle AI, a little jump n run gives you an idea how time consuming a game can become. All small games gives you playground to tinker around with menus. And so on. When you`ve learned the basics, when you know how to make a game in general, then come back.

Means when you still want to. Usually you`ve learned at the latest with the jump n run why a MMO is nothing for a hobbyist. But that`s another chapter. And i will not tell you to stop your idea here. You have to find that out by yourself.

Not that your chances are any bigger even with the needed knowledge, but when you try to create a MMO first, then you will fail. It´s one of the biggest possible projects one can try. That`s no project where you can learn how to make a game. That`s a project where you already need to know how to make a game. And you don`t have the needed knowledge as long as you still ask yourself how to make a MMO. It`s too big to start it every two weeks from scratch to get rid of your beginner mistakes. You need the knowledge from former projects, that`s your fundament to build your MMO at.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  4. Chippington

Chippington

I'm getting real tired seeing this sort of response. If someone wants to learn about the structure of MMO games, why not point them to tutorials and whatnot? Even if it turns out to be a little too much work for him, he'd still probably learn something from it. You have to start from somewhere, I know I was like that at one point.

Anyway, Gaffer on Games is definitely a good resource, though it may not be for MMO's specifically, it teaches important concepts.
    http://gafferongames.com/

5. carmine

carmine

Exit games who makes a great cloud version also makes an MMO server. I believe it's free for a very small amount of users. They have sample code with interest management and other stuff. Check out the details here:

http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-server/Concept/#cat-Application - MMO

Look at their grid demo:
    http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-server/DemoClientWinGrid/#cat-Application - MMO

6. spiderclan123

spiderclan123

yah right I know I should start at the very basics.. Ive been thru with this simple games... thats why all I want to know is how can I make the game played by a lot of players... more likely a multiplayer game... but as I see MMO its not just a simple Multiplayer concept... there a World or Space where people log on to meet other people... its like a social network where theres a website and people goes into it to see and chat with other people... I know the Idea what I dont know is the process. Process and Structure.. specific Structure... thats all I need to know :)

7. Tiles

Tiles

Not when he lacks the basics. Then he lacks the knowledge to understand this stuff. I pointed him towards some useful bits to go on. What i didn`t do was to point him towards tutorials for network and solutions to problems like dead reckoning. Because the initial post looked like he didn`t have any experience with game development at all. And then the first step is to make a simple game to learn the basics, not a MMO.

Now this sounds completely different. 3D Buzz has a tutorial series that is about creating a MMO with Unity. http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/content.php?170

The Unity docs are also a good source: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/NetworkedMultiplayer.html

And my next advice is to create a simple online game to learn and test all this online stuff.

8. spiderclan123

spiderclan123

3D Buzz has a tutorial series that is about creating a MMO with Unity. http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/content.php?170

The Unity docs are also a good source: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/NetworkedMultiplayer.html

And my next advice is to create a simple online game to learn and test all this online stuff.[/QUOTE]

yah Ive been to 3dBuzz ... the MMO series cost 32-35$ a month I cant afford it.. though I think the series is really good. I cant afford paying 32-35$ a month. thats why I actually got in here to find if theres any tutorial or sources which I can learn these things that will not cost money.

the other link looks good.. I'll goin to check it out... ;D

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  9. LordZephyr

LordZephyr

Thank you spiderclas123 for posting that questions. I am in a similar situation. I have created several games already and believe I am ready to take on the MMO idea to a game. I'm looking into GREE for their SDK addition to Unity but I think what I want to do is begin my game design with a simple "Chat" rather than the full blown MMO. I just need to connect with a service provider that is able to handle that at the most nominal fee for now. When it grows, I don't mind paying a subscription fee... as long as the app is making money.

Anyway, my question to those out there that have WAY more experience with me is this. For the game that I am currently working on, I mentioned that I want to start off small with a chat option and then grow from there. But, what I am thinking about is this: Should I have the full 3D environment on the iOS device and have the avatars and chatting go through the networking OR should the 3D world be in "cyberspace" on a network and the only thing that would be the "app" would be the software to connect your device and avatar to the world? I'm not sure of this part and how it works with the limitations of an iOS device such as the iPhone. Just to give you a little info, my world is in no way going to be as large as World of Warcraft. It will be more like, say, an apartment building. You won't be able to go outside, just all the rooms and floors.

Thanks for staring this thread. I have gotten a lot of leads already.

Tom

10. BlankFoxGirl

BlankFoxGirl

I would strongly recommend if you are considering using Unity3D to create your MMO, for the love of god, do NOT use Unity3D to create the server component. I have seen this far too much, and every single time it creates a lot of unnecessary junky chunk files (bloatware basically...). A server I have wrote in Visual C# uses only 14mb of Ram, a server to do the same thing written within Unity3D uses over 50mb of ram.

If you feel you are ready to dive into making your MMO, you should start to Map how each screen reflects the information sent from the server. Remember, the client is NOTHING but an Interpreter, the server is your Number Cruncher! The concern here is, security, efficiency, and low RAM footprint for the server... You can do whatever you want with your client.

Basically, if you are not prepared to write your server independently of Unity3D, be prepared to face a lot of performance issues. Dare I say, my server and client is working perfectly (as to be expected) to the point that I have been ahead of each milestone by at least a few weeks. I already have a working login, create and select character, run around and chat with multiple people using MySQL for the database. My current milestone is the GUI work, which is almost done, and the next milestone will incorporate the first monster, and spell. There is a TON of work that you need to do, and even more planning!

11. Tiles

Tiles

Just curious. A useful server to host a MMO costs 50+ $ a month. When you can`t afford the training videos, how will you afford to host your MMO then? o_O

12. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

http://muchdifferent.com/

13. fholm

fholm

If you think you can build an MMO by yourself you're delusional.

14. Tecknowolf01

Tecknowolf01

I see that Photon is a good server solution for Unity, while making a MMO style game. Is there any good solutions for front end such as log in, billing, security, and metrics tracking? That is the one thing I like about Hero Engine is that is has everything included, like a Latch Key business.

I didn't find any good solutions in my search, some help would be great,
    Thanks

15. Uncasid

Uncasid

lol.. Pretty much every post I see from you is "Mr Negativity". If you have nothing positive to say, don't say anything at all?

For the original poster.. Yes, you can make an MMO all by yourself, but let me tell you this. I have never met a programmer that could do art. I have met plenty of programmers that "think" they can do art. You can add your own assets / purchase some from other people, but will never never have anything that matches. You need artists for this.

As far as the MMO goes, I agree with Sarmth. Program the server outside of unity. Go download the photon MMO server kit. Get yourself a box that you can run at home. Doing this you will skip the "$50 a month for a server". Just an FYI, anything will work as a server, just don't expect it to work well.

And also as Sarmth said, the server is the workhorse. This means that the game simulation happens on the server and you just send updates to clients in the region that needs updates. your client then smooths the movement so it looks "natural". You could honestly make an MMO that is just a button click (ie, users only click buttons in the game..)..

Do yourself a favor, ignore all the nay sayers. Work on your project one step at a time, and make sure you document and plan everything.

Good luck bro, hit me up with a message if you have any questions. I can also say that Sarmth would be a good person to talk to.

16. fholm

fholm

Uncasid: Can you show me an MMO that is reasonably successful (at least had a proper "launch") and was built by one guy?

17. Uncasid

Uncasid

Of course you preface it with "reasonably successful" that isn't a proper metric for determining the finish of an MMO.. My point was that, yes, you can build an MMO by yourself. It is another thing if it is successful.

Also for your note.. successful 1 man MMO development:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/05/26/sherwood-dungeon-the-mmo-made-by-one-man

Surprising that I found this using google.. There have been several games made by one man. have you ever played the battlecruiser series? made by one man.

This is what you need to take home from this. What a person does with their time and money is their business. They come here asking for help, don't just jump down their throat calling them foolish or delusional. If they want to take on an MMO, let them.. they might just be the next bill gates. Just because you haven't done it doesn't mean it isn't possible...

Btw, pardon the snark in this comment. You wouldn't believe how many times I hear what you and a few others have said in this thread.. It annoys me the amount of projection involved in a statement like that. A positive attitude goes a long way in chasing after your dreams.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  18. Uncasid

Uncasid

19. sandolkakos

sandolkakos

20. b360

b360

The best place for you to start is here

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_videonav.php?fid=808bf515c69066eb13df7952c0d54711

The link provided is in my opinion the best place you can learn about MMO. The MMO class if you become a sponsored member will show you exactly step by step what goes in to a MMO.

Even if you have zero previous experience this site has a ton of content and videos that will deffinatly get your feet on the ground.

It also uses Photon in the course.

It does cost money to learn from here and unfortuinatly making a MMO also requires a considerable: Massive Money Output. Servers, Education, Assets, Tools, Books, Software, ect...

Not to discourage you at all. I have been learning how to make one over the past year and i have came a considerable way however had to invest a lot to get to where i am at and just to note as much as i would love to take my MMO idea and make it a launchable game title there just is not enough funds, time, and knowlage with in "just me" to make this all happen.

Since i do construction i will say its like me going in to build a football stadium... alone. Yes i can build a house alone but it would take some time. But even though my love for football and dedication is huge, The fact is it would take me a lifetime to make a football stadium alone. And if i did not have the recources for forklifts or the right tools, education, building concepts, materials, and experience...im screwed when it comes to getting certian tasks done. And a good point to make here is what i do get done wont meet the "Building Code" to open to the public.

So with that in mind. Here i am. I have learned quite a bit and have a history in development. But i realize that i cant be the greatest guy at everything i learn. There is just so much to cover here.. networking, modeling, animation, c#, Unity 3d, linux server, windows server 2008, php, html, photo shop, 3ds max, ect.. there an endless list.. just like building the stadium i would need to learn, steel, concrete, metal fabrication, electrical work, point loads, roofing, grading, ect... that list goes on..

What i am trying to say is this. Like you i aspire to make my own MMO game, Yet it will take a team. In the meantime im learning everything i can to put myself in a position to assist my team when the time comes. I cant sit at my own table and wear every hat if you would. Theres simply only one of me.

The best advice i can give you is this... learn as much as you can, and apply it to a simple game. The 1st game you make will give you the concepts and knowlage and experience to start you in the direction required to maby put together a massive game. Try something simple like bowling. make it a multiplayer game and learn how to model the assets, and script the functionality, make a gui, and run the network. That is of course if you want to do it all alone i highly recommend you try something like this out first. To break you in for the journey your about to embark on. You simply cant skip steps here. You cant start out properly making a MMO game title alone if you dont have the massive experience wearing each and all the hats you need.

It will give you a great feeling of accomplishment and experience showing you how much work and how many hats you have to wear to get your final product. It will also speed up your learning by 5X beacuse your focus is in line with your abilitys and scope of work.

I wish you best of luck in your persuit. And i hope this dosent discourage you but helps you on your way!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  21. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

You might try making a "small" mmo...a multiplayer rpg game that is somewhat simple, and can support several players. Get some critters with basic AI. Add inventory systems. equipping items, that sort of thing.

I think if you do that, you'll have a much clearer understanding of what is involved.

22. maevin

maevin

Why talk about 50$ a month to host the mmo? if he's only developing it, he can easily run it on any computer that is roughly 2.0 ghz 2gb ram and whatever hard drive. He can then run it from his house, and if he's gonna use dns, use open dns service or something so that he can keep his free dns name. He could easily run up to 1k users as long as he has a decent internet connection, but if he is just developing it then he won't be anywhere near that and it is suitable.

So cost? a cheap computer, like under 200$ from any hock shop or a spare laying around.

23. spiderclan123

spiderclan123

I'm done with you... if you cant say any better, like you were always pissed off then just shut up. you dont actually help your just insulting. Get a life!

24. spiderclan123

spiderclan123

thanks!

25. ptdnet

ptdnet

Just goes to show that game programming isn't for everyone.

26. Kylan

Kylan

27. Tiles

Tiles

I have a life. But i am still curious :)

28. BlankFoxGirl

BlankFoxGirl

Creating an MMO RPG without assistance is not likely, however, with certain software it can be done. I suppose, it can be considered a ludicrous idea to think of creating a Massively Multiplayer Online World entirely by yourself. If you were making all the 3D art work, sure, it can be very very difficult. However, if you use Unity3D's assets it can be relatively less complex. Creating a map is easy, making the objects interactive is quite easy.. The only hard part is the code, unless you are an Expert in either C# or JS.

However, creating one is not exactly impossible, it would just take a long time. But that's why you aim small and start small. So creating the game only allowing people to get from level 1 to 9, then releasing subsequent patches thereafter to increase this limit and the world size Is quite manageable.

29. incenseman

incenseman

I agree that the response was far less than polite or helpful. It almost seems like it say that the person that wants to build the MMO is just not smart enough to learn. Pointers to information would have been far better. I myself am looking to create a MMO to be hosted on another server and found nothing for information on that.

30. appels

appels