Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What's more performance-friendly? 2D Physics or Animated FBX?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Neikke, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Neikke

Neikke

Hi,

I want to have falling rocks (simple lowpoly meshes with 2D Colliders attached) in my mobile game. Can anyone please suggest me what's more performance-friendly having them animated in 3d package and then importing them as animated FBXs in game scene, or using real 2D physics inside of Unity and having them falling down and reacting to the Ground? Thanks!

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

My guess would be the animation, but it will depend on a variety of factors specific to your implementation of either. I'd try them both and go with the one you're most happy with.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Create the following benchmark tests:

Moving in code with jobs (and ECS if you can figure ECS out, optional)
    Legacy Animation component
    Animator
    Physics

Since all of them can win for different reasons, depending on the project. It's part of the programmer's job to make these tests, it's a days work I'd guess but really well spent because nobody can tell you, and you'll go with what sounds like good advice and end up really missing out.

Joe-Censored likes this.