Search Unity

What was the largest amount of players unity can support?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by IndieDude360, Nov 12, 2010.

1. IndieDude360

IndieDude360

Hi i am very intrested in game development and i want to know how much players unity can support.
    Can someone tell me how much players unity can support or even a game that can support alot of players.

Thanks for reading.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

"alot" <= 200 and if we talk about an action game (shooter and alike) its likely <= 32 / <= 16 per "server client" instance you are running.
    Generally it heavily depends on what you do, how much packets you send around etc

You can't create an MMO with its networking at all, just in case you ask in that direction

3. zumwalt

zumwalt

Purely mathematically speaking using Unity Pro and headless mode with Unity and servers, you 'could' run an MMO, if you are willing to cap each server instance to 128 to 256 players max, and in theory you could run multiple dedicated servers on one box if it is powerful enough, and you need to know / understand load balancing, so yea it can hold a lot of players..

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

but also only pure mathematical as unity networking offers no server - server connection nor can you pass users from a server to a server due to this lack and it offers no pure peer - peer network layer to overcome it ...
    That makes it rather suboptimal

also, 128 players only if the world is as empty as the originally released EQ, because unity can not use multiple cores (actually unless you change the core affinity unity will always only use cpu 0 of your OS at all, it never goes up to cpu 1 - X even if you have an 8 core. This bug has been known for years), as such you can't manage that many NPCs along the players, the networking will really become a second class problem here rather fast (although the scoping related work you will have to do naturally makes the problem worse)

Reasonably: If you wanted to do an MMO and its not webplayer targeted, safe yourself several ten thousand USD to just get the core of your technology and go with HeroCloud instead

5. dr-mad

dr-mad

or just use smartfoxserver as your server then you can make over 1000+ connections for a mmo its good i think

i had that server and works great so maybe use that for mmo's

6. Dreeka

Dreeka

You can make a HUGE mmo with Unity if you use a server like SmartFox. For example, Battlestar Galactica Online is developed by Unity, and it is really BIG.

7. zumwalt

zumwalt

Dreeka that is cheating because BGO afaik they own a source code license so they can use all of the functionality of RakNet by adding it into Unity. What U3 has in it and with it is a ***very small*** subset of what Raknet is. Even those of us who own commercial license of Raknet can't fix this since it is in the source of Unity it self. Long story, not worth getting into, but use either Photon / SmartFox / or some other engine if you want to have multi core / many user functionality straight up.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

Just wanted to backup what zumwalt said, don't try to fight your way through cause you will lose due to the lack of control.

Also, if you were on MMO and Unity, why not mention The Mummy MMO with unity which is photon for example :)

9. VeganApps

VeganApps

So which server would you recommend.. ? :)
    (I would like to use C# for all the programming.)

-Photon
    -SmartFoxServer
    -Raknet
    -.. ?

What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages ?

10. jobemakar

jobemakar

I think that Photon is the only 3rd party server that offers C# on the server-side.

11. VeganApps

VeganApps

Yeah.. but sadly it needs a Windows Server I don´t have.. :(

12. jobemakar

jobemakar

DynamicHead,

Yeah, C# == Windows box.

ElectroServer will run on any server. But you'd have to program the server logic using Java or ActionScript.

13. VeganApps

VeganApps

Isn´t this slow ? To use Java..

14. jobemakar

jobemakar

Absolutely not! I wouldn't use Java to write a 3D client, but it is awesome for server-side logic.

We've written many multiplayer games over the years that have supported tens of thousands of concurrent players (with Java on the server).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  15. VeganApps

VeganApps

Well.. I guess for now I´ll use a headless Unity application as server. And wait with the release of the game until multi-core processors are supported. :p

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

that would be 2013 then likely as such a major change is unlikely to happen within the same major as the whole behaviour changes

17. VeganApps

VeganApps

That´s not possible! The world ends 2012.. :D

18. Dreamora

Dreamora

the maya calendary was not gregorian so going by that world would have ended quite some time ago :p

19. VeganApps

VeganApps

Hehe.. well.. --maya calendar is not my calendar anyways.. :p

I hope it won´t take until 2013 to see this nice update. I guess UT will offer a pretty smart solution for this that the normal developer doesn`t notice any changes because Unity does the threading automatically as long as you don´t want to do it (partly) manuelly.