Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with large assets when backing up?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ferroo101, Mar 12, 2019.

1. ferroo101

ferroo101

I'm rather new to Unity and have been developing a game for a month or so, but recently decided to purchase an asset pack to use in my game. After downloading/importing this into my project, the asset is around 11.5GB, which is much larger than any of the other assets I have been using. The asset pack has been extremely useful however backing up has now become an issue as my assets folder alone is 12gb and my whole project folder is nearly 25GB.

I've tried searching online but haven't found much about backing up large projects. Is there a way to reduce the filesize so that I am able to back it up online?

Sorry if this is the incorrect board, first time posting.

2. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

Once you've bought an item from the asset store, you can re-download it whenever you want. You can also choose which pieces to download, so you only need to download the assets you plan to use, and you can delete assets you're not using.

Also, the only things you need to back up are what's in your Assets folder. You do not need your Library folder or any .csproj or .sln files. It is very important you keep your .meta files, which are in your Assets folder!

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Delete anything you're not using from the asset pack. If you end up needing it later, you can always reimport those deleted pieces.