Search Unity

What should i use for multiplayer for my game?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by somedevelopergg, Jan 19, 2021.

1. somedevelopergg

somedevelopergg

Hello everyone.
    I have a game that I want to make multiplayer, but when I tried the method that was published 3 years ago, I found out that it no longer works because Unet is no longer supported, and I did not find anything official as a replacement. Some people write that you can download the "multiplayer HLAPI" package and I tried it, but did not understand what to do next. I know that I can use a mirror or a photon as a multiplayer engine, but I'm not sure what would be easier and more accurate, and also if I can use the "multiplayer HLAPI" package(and how).

2. luke-unity

luke-unity

MLAPI will be the official replacement for Unet. You can find more information about MLAPI here. We are still working on getting MLAPI ready. I'd recommend to stay away from Unet. It's old and deprecated and there are other solutions which provide much more then Unet does. Here are some resources which can help you to choose a solution:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/wha...of-available-network-solutions-assets.609088/
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/09/08/choosing-the-right-netcode-for-your-game/

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I wouldn't use the HLAPI package.

somedevelopergg likes this.
  4. BetaMark

BetaMark

One thing I want to point out is that there are no easy multiplayer solutions. Building a good multiplayer game is at least twice as hard as building a good single player game.

With that said, don't let that slow you down from building your dream game, just be aware of how much extra work you are adding if you go multiplayer.

5. somedevelopergg

somedevelopergg

is MLAPI already available? if not, i think i will use a mirror, it is simple and very similar to a UNit. Unity recommends mirror as a multiplayer engine?

6. somedevelopergg

somedevelopergg

thanks, i'll think about it

BetaMark likes this.
  7. luke-unity

luke-unity

MLAPI version 12 is already available for anyone to use. But that version is not a Unity version of MLAPI because it was created before we acquired MLAPI. We're still working on releasing our first Unity version including tutorials and documentation around it. Mirror and MLAPI are both similar to UNet but Mirror currently has much more tutorials and guides on getting started.

BetaMark likes this.