Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

What is the state of the linux editor nowadays?

Discussion in 'Linux Editor' started by MarkrosoftGames, Jun 22, 2020.

1. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

Hello fellow unity devs,

I've been out of the game for awhile now but I want to jump back in. I used Unity a lot on windows years back, but prefer to run linux normally. I did try using the linux editor a few times but always seemed to run into weird issues when converting my projects over from windows or when changing versions (which i try not to do unless i have to). I also remember having a hard time using two different computers for a project, like using git and doing some work on a windows machine, and then going back over to linux again.

I've looked into other stuff like godot and unreal, but they are even more of a pain to setup on linux and I still seem to prefer unity to those, and I've been using unity on and off for a long time now so it would seem like a waste to switch over now.

So what do you guy have to say about the current state of the linux editor? Is it pretty much a full version now, or would you consider it to still be buggy and weird to use? Are there people using the linux version and releasing full and well made stuff?

2. jooleanlogic

jooleanlogic

I think it's generally a case of YMMV depending on distro and featureset you're using.
    It's undoubtedly in a better place now than a year ago but there's ever constant issues.

I've got 19.3 running ok on Mint 19.3 but the new 2020 version consumes high cpu on idle which was a problem I had on previous versions as well. It's two steps forward, one back but the overall progress is positive.

Gui on mine still feels fragile. I've got about a 1 pixel wide bar in which I can click to scroll in some windows and I get gui events from one part of the screen affecting other parts. Constant crashes on close. Stuff like that. They're not show stoppers though.

Just have to try it. There's answers to a lot of the common install issues on this forum if you run into any.

3. willemsenzo

willemsenzo

I'm on Mint 18.3 and so far Unity 2019.3 has been the most stable for me. My biggest frustrations are the jerky movement of UI windows and long times to either create a new project or load an existing project. Building seems to be taking forever. What used to take a minute before isn't even close to finishing after 10 minutes and I just stop it because I'm running out of patience. I do consider the editor as usable because it doesn't crash that often anymore, but still the overall experience is cumbersome.

unityunity