Search Unity

What is "Animated Custom Properties" in FBX Animation Import?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by petey, Apr 17, 2018.

1. petey

petey

Hi all,
    Just wondering what this does? In the animation section of FBX import...

I'm really hoping it might mean an end in sight for having to hack extra animation properties into FBX's :p
    Thanks,
    Pete

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This video series should answer your question and others, unfortunately I couldn't find a playlist anywhere. Just keep track of the numbering in the titles. I think there are 10 videos.

3. petey

petey

Thanks @theANMATOR2b, here’s the full thing. https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/unity-artists/questions-and-answers
    I couldn’t really see it in there, but I didn’t watch the whole thing. I think it might have been to do with importing opacity keys.

By the way, when I have to bring in custom animations, for anything other than basic bone animation, I’ll bring in nulls that store the key frames in their scale, rotate or transform, then in Unity I’ll have a script somewhere that updates every frame any translates those keys back to whatever property they need to be on, do you do anything like that?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

You need to add corresponding properties to the AnimatorController in the Animator window. For example if you have a bunch of custom animated float attributes, you need to add float attributes with the same name to the AnimatorController. Then you can use animator.GetFloat in a script. I did this to animate blendshape weights and not have to have the actual blendshape data in the fbx which takes up a lot of space.

teutonicus likes this.
  5. petey

petey

Hey that sounds interesting! Do the parameters have to be at the top level of the fbx or something? I’m just wondering how you would have to format them in your 3d app so they can make it through the export.

6. Finer_Games

Finer_Games

I've tried adding RootGO : Animator.PropertyName, Animator.PropertyName, PropertyName, etc. to the list of parameters in the animator controller, and get "The GameObject or Component is missing ()" regardless. I'm not sure if it's the way we're setting them up/exporting them in Maya, or? Anyone figure this out?

7. Finer_Games

Finer_Games