Search Unity

Official New FBX Exporter in 2017.2

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by ans_unity, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vkovec

vkovec

Unity Developer - FBX Exporter

Hi supron,

Thank you for sending the project, I was able to reproduce the issue.

It seems the problem is related to the two submesh materials having the same name.
    If I change one of the materials to a material with a different name, then after exporting I see both materials show up in the fbx as expected.

I have logged an issue for this, however requiring unique material names is currently a limitation of the FBX exporter.

Best,
    Viktoria

supron likes this.
  2. supron

supron

Thank you so much, you really saved my day.

I found another issue, but I'm actually not sure if this is an issue or not. Can FBX material hold information about material transparency? Unfortunately it's lost when I export object. It doesn't matter if I set material to Transparent, Fade or Cutout.

3. mmilne

mmilne

I have an FBX which has a lot of animation clips (walk forward, turn left, idle, etc..) When I use the Maya plugin and import into Maya, only the last clip is there. How do I import all the clips?

4. vkovec

vkovec

Hi supron,

The FBX material can hold information on transparency, however the FBX Exporter does not currently support transparency export from Unity. I've logged an issue to add support for this.

Best,
    Viktoria

Quatum1000, SirNW and supron like this.
  5. vkovec

vkovec

Hi mmilne,

Currently the Maya plugin as well as the File > Import menu allow import of one animation clip per fbx file.

In order to import multiple clips, first use the Unity plugin to import the model, then import the rest through the Time Editor.

Here are the steps to take:

1. File > Unity > Import to import the fbx
    2. Open Windows > Animation Editors > Time Editor

upload_2018-6-19_11-9-36.png

3. In the Time Editor select File > Import Animation Clip...

upload_2018-6-19_11-9-58.png

4. Select the fbx file with the animation clips
    5. Import either as a Group, Multiple Compositions, or Sequence of Clips
    Note: for more information on the options and multi clip import see http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-A5F13987-036D-42E3-BF66-EA312C045EBA

You should now be able to see and edit the clips in the time editor.

Best,
    Viktoria

6. supron

supron

Another issue. Vertex color is set to (1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0) for all vertices even if Mesh has its own colors.

edit: It doesn't work when colors have larger value than 1. So it works only for ranges 0-1 despite color buffer is floating point.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  7. vkovec

vkovec

Hi supron,

How are the vertex colors being set? Are they using Color or Color32?

Although it will accept any floating point value, Unity's Color expects values to be between 0-1. (see https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Color.html)
    Color32 however uses values between 0-255. (see https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Color32.html)

On export we retrieve the vertex colors as Color32. Therefore if Color is set to have values greater than 1, the larger values may be lost (i.e. treated as 1) when converting to Color32.

If this is not the case, then if possible could you please send me the mesh that is giving you trouble?

Best,
    Viktoria

8. supron

supron

Probably that's the problem. Anyway I fixed my problem. I'm using vertex color to store bone ID, so I just saved it as 0-255 byte in R channel. I don't need larger value, because in most cases I have 5-20 bones, so 255 is enough.

vkovec likes this.
  9. vkovec

vkovec

Hi everyone, with the release of Unity 2018.2, we are entering the final stretches of releasing the FBX Exporter Package on the Package Manager, with a number of new features including source code access.

We would like to hear feedback from the community before the official release. To get a first preview of the new FBX Exporter, modify your project's Packages/manifest.json file as follows:

Code (csharp):
    2. {
    3. "dependencies": {
    4.   "com.unity.formats.fbx": "2.0.0-preview"
    5. },
    6. "registry": "https://staging-packages.unity.com"
    7. }
    If you installed the Asset Store version of the FBX Exporters (version 1.3.0f1 or earlier), follow these steps for updating:

1. Back up your Project.
    2. Restart Unity.
    3. Delete the FbxExporters folder.
    4. Install the FBX Exporter from the Package Manager (by adding the code above to your project's Packages/manifest.json)
    5. Select Edit > Project Settings > Editor to view the Editor Settings. Change the Asset Serialization mode to Force Text. The Force Text option converts all Project Assets to text.
    6. Select Edit > Project Settings > FBX Export to view the FBX Export Settings.
    7. Click the Run Component Updater button to repair all text serialized Prefab and Scene Assets in the Project containing the FbxPrefab component.

Several other improvements and bug fixes have been made to the package:

NEW FEATURES
    • FBX Exporter now distributed via the Package Manager
    • C# scripts shipped as source code
    • Now using FBX SDK version 2018.1
    • Added support for Physical Camera export
    • Added support for exporting constraints (Rotation, Aim, Position, Scale and Parent)
    • Roundtrip of assets can now be started from Maya with assets that have not been exported from Unity
    • ConvertToPrefab: Added ability to convert an FBX or prefab asset from the Project view
      • Right click on an FBX file in the project view then select "Convert to Linked Prefab" to create a Linked Prefab asset for the FBX file. It will not create an instance in the scene.
      • Right click on a Prefab in the project view and select "Convert to Linked Prefab" to export the Prefab to an FBX file and link the existing Prefab to the newly created FBX file.
    FIXES
    • Fixed skinned mesh bone update when the number of bones change between updates
    • Keyframes were sometimes missing when exporting animation curves
    • The file name fields in the FBX export dialog were hard to read in Unity Pro's dark theme

KNOWN ISSUES
    • ConvertToPrefab: UI doesn't provide feedback about whether it will be converting an existing file or creating new files.
      • When converting an existing FBX file, the FBX filename and FBX export options are ignored (but not greyed out).
      • When converting an existing Prefab, the Prefab filename is ignored (but not greyed out)

Feedback is always appreciated, so let us know what you think!

10. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @vkovec,
    thank you very much for the update. It's amazing to see that we get direct access to the FBX SDK now.

Is there any chance that you expose some additional classes (I would have written the C# wrapper classes on my own but it looks like even the native dll's don't expose more than what's already wrapped)? I would like to get access to the FbxAnimFilter, FbxAnimCurveFilterConstantKeyReducer and FbxAnimCurveFilterKeyReducer classes.

Any chance that those are at least exposed in the native dll's in the final release so that it's possible to access them? That would be really amazing :)

Are there any plans that the Linux Editor is supported in the future?

11. vkovec

vkovec

Hi @SoxwareInteractive,

Thank you for the feedback :). I will log a task for exposing these classes in a future release. For 2.0.0 we're in a state of fixing showstoppers only and logging everything else. Once we've got the first full release on package manager we expect releases will become more frequent.

yes we have plans to support Linux in the future.

Best,
    Viktoria

12. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @vkovec,
    thanks for your quick response. That makes sense. Looking forward to that future release :)

vkovec likes this.
  13. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @vkovec,
    I did some further tests with the SDK and found another limitation. There seems to be currently no way to iterate over the animation stacks in the *.FBX file as the generic method FBXObject::GetSrcObjectCount<FbxAnimStack>(); and pScene->GetSrcObject<FbxAnimStack>(index); etc. are missing.

I tried to workaround this limitation by checking if the type of the FbxObject returned by the non generic version of GetSrcObject() is FbxAnimStack but that doesn't work as well. Is there any way to get all animation stacks of an FBX file with the current wrapper?

14. vkovec

vkovec

Hi @SoxwareInteractive,

There presently isn't a way to get all the the FbxAnimStack's, however you can get the current animation stack by calling FbxScene::GetCurrentAnimationStack().

The SDK currently is only really exposed enough to export data without modifying it. Eventually it would be nice to expose more and allow importing or postprocessing, but there's no schedule for that yet.

Best,
    Viktoria

15. Visual73

Visual73

Hi guys,

I have a problem.

I use the new FBX EXPORTER with Maya and Unity without problems.

The problem comes when with the interaction between Maya and Unity, I add an animated camera, through the app Unity remote 5, installed on an Android phone. In this case, using the app and the phone sensors, I get a 3dof sensor (3 degrees of freedom), which animates the virtual camera in Unity, in real time.

The sensor, used alone, works perfectly. The problems start when I go to add to the sensor, fbx exporter.

My problem is as follows:
    When I activate the sensor on Unity, with the play button, I can not see the change in Unity of the change made in Maya.
    When I disable the sensor, the change I do in Maya appears in Unity.

How can I solve this problem ?
    How can I see the change in unity, without having to deactivate the sensor ?

16. Visual73

Visual73

to the description made in the previous post, I add, that I have formulated a prgram that allows me to continuously send the sensor data on the virtual camera in Unity.

Is it a program code problem?
    Is this a problem with the Unity Remote app?

17. aaa5127889

aaa5127889

Please tell me what the correct path is for Unity FBX Exporter to install Unity integration inside. I didn't install it correctly on the Maya menu. MY unity3d 2018.1.6 maya 2018

18. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thanks for your response. Looking forward to a version that exposes more features :)

Best regards,
    Peter

vkovec likes this.
  19. Pode

Pode

I have a problem when exporting material with some transparency to FBX and importing them in Blender afterwards.

I made several screenshots.

1) first step : I create two cube in the scene, one with a 'wood' texture, completely opaque, and another one with a semi-transparent material (alpha = 0.5)
    https://imgur.com/UsHSerw
    2) I export the scene as an FBX
    https://imgur.com/i3k5KHB
    3) I load it in Blender, the wood material is ok, but the Glass material has no transparency or alpha value registered
    https://imgur.com/vQ6JeTm
    https://imgur.com/gLdPoSl
    4) However when in Blender I set the alpha value at 0.5, I export the Blender scene as FBX, and I load it in Unity, the material is properly set with an alpha value of 0.5, and the rendering mode is 'Transparent'.
    https://imgur.com/p6rpnJN
    https://imgur.com/0GllPj6

Is there a way to export material with transparency with this tool and have it properly registered ?

20. Pode

Pode

In fact the exporter should set the 'TransparencyFactor' in the exported material. Its value is calculated with '1-color.a'

21. vkovec

vkovec

Hi @aaa5127889 ,

Where did you try installing the Unity Integration? Any writable location should work. The default location is the Unity project root.

Here are the steps for installing the Unity integration for Maya:

0. Make sure all instances of Maya are closed before installing

1. In your Unity project go to Edit > Project Settings > FBX Export

2. Under Integration section, select Maya 2018 as the 3D Application.

If you don't see Maya 2018 in the list, browse to the maya.exe:

upload_2018-7-30_12-25-47.png

3. Click "Install Unity Integration"

4. Select the desired location to install the integration to. The default is the Unity project root, however any writable location should work.

5. If "Keep Open" is selected, Maya will open automatically. If it is not selected, open Maya after the installation is complete. The "File > Unity" menu should now be present in Maya.

upload_2018-7-30_12-29-2.png

Let me know if the problem persists. If you see any errors in Maya or Unity, please send these as well.

Best,
    Viktoria

Attached Files:

22. vkovec

vkovec

Hi @Pode,

Thank you for the detailed steps.

The FBX Exporter does not currently support material transparency export from Unity. I have logged an issue to add support for this.

Best,
    Viktoria

Quatum1000 likes this.
  23. Finer_Games

Finer_Games

Apologies for being slightly off-topic, but we're using the FBX exporter in conjunction with animated custom properties, and are having difficulty accessing those properties on GOs added to the scene -- I'm not sure if it's something related to the exporter (probably not) or something we're doing wrong on our end.

We're able to see the property values change if we select the clip in the project view, but not on a model with an animator + clip in the scene hierarchy. I've tried adding RootGO : Animator.PropertyName, Animator.PropertyName, PropertyName, etc. to the list of parameters in the animator controller, and get "The GameObject or Component is missing ()" regardless. Could this be something we're doing wrong with the way we're setting them up/exporting them in Maya, or?

amorinImgSpc likes this.
  24. Finer_Games

Finer_Games

I posted this when I was at my wits end, and finally figured it out. I blame myself for not being more firm about naming and the wonders of PascalCase, but most people here are ESL, so... Anyway, for future Googlers...

Our animators were naming the attributes in Maya, starting with a lowercase letter. Maya would then also assign them a nice name, which started with a capital letter. In Unity, the attribute name in the animator window would have its first letter capitalized (like the nice name), but it was actually looking for the real name, which started with a lowercase letter.

So, to recap...

-- In Maya (or Max...), add your custom attribute (for us, using PascalCase/UpperCamelCase only)
    -- In Unity, check the box for "Animated Custom Properties" in the FBX import settings
    -- On the animator you're assigning this clip to in the scene hierarchy, add a parameter that exactly matches -- including case -- the original name given to the custom attribute in your modeling software

vkovec and amorinImgSpc like this.
  25. amorinImgSpc

amorinImgSpc

Glad you figured it out on your own! I've always been fond of PascalCase myself.

26. areepen

areepen

Hey,
    how is the workflow supposed to look like, if we want to use baked lighting with the FBX Exporter?

We have different objects in Unity that we export as FBX, edit and reimport into Unity.
    Then we bake lighting.

But similar to other prefabs, these objects lose their baked lighting at some point.
    Is there anything we can do about this other than breaking the prefab instance?

27. amorinImgSpc

amorinImgSpc

Hi!

I investigated a little for you and it seems that baking lightmaps in prefabs takes some fiddling. Here's a link where the Unity CTO himself offers a solution. Hopefully this can help you work things out!

Alexis

Quatum1000 likes this.
  28. paratr00p3r

paratr00p3r

I'm having trouble with FbxNode's reporting zero children on OSX but reporting correctly on Windows.

I use the Autodesk.Fbx sdk included in the formats package to match up submesh indexes with the material name in the fbx.

Is there anything fishy about OSX not reporting children when doing this (100% using the same mesh on both editors as it's in version control and there is no way it could have changed):

fbxScene.GetRootNode().GetChildCount(false);

29. paratr00p3r

paratr00p3r

I've switched out the code to cache the FbxNode data that I need when it's on windows to get past the GetChildCount and GetChild methods not working on OSX which gets me further but I'm unable to build with the package version of this asset.

The unity asset store version I was just enabling for Editor only but I can't seem to turn off this version for platforms.

xcodebuild[11222:398325] [MT] IDEDistribution: -[IDEDistributionLogging _createLoggingBundleAtPath:]: Created bundle at path '/var/folders/9_/gp8hddq11tq9h5wtlwfcwk4r0000gn/T/Unity-iPhone_2018-08-24_20-53-50.269.xcdistributionlogs'.
    LOG /usr/bin/xcodebuild 24/08/2018 8:54:51 PM 2018-08-24 20:54:51.310 xcodebuild[11222:398325] [MT] IDEDistribution: Step failed: <IDEDistributionPackagingStep: 0x7faa8a50d420>: Error Domain=IDEDistributionPipelineErrorDomain Code=0 "Code signing "UnityFbxSdkNative.bundle" failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Code signing "UnityFbxSdkNative.bundle" failed., NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=View distribution logs for more information.}

30. vkovec

vkovec

Hi @paratr00p3r,

I tried to recreate the issue by printing the child count on both export and import of one or more meshes, however on OSX I am getting the correct child count in all cases.

Is it a specific FBX causing the issue or do you have the same problem with any FBX?

If possible could you please send me the FBX that causes the issue?

Best,
    Viktoria

31. vkovec

vkovec

For the build error, this is a bug as the FBX SDK bindings should only be included in builds for Windows, Mac and Linux Standalone.
    Until we fix the issue, here is a temporary workaround:

1. Copy the com.unity.formats.fbx and com.autodesk.fbx packages from their current install location into your Unity project's Packages/ directory

On Mac the location will most likely be: ~/Library/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/

You can also find the install location from Unity by navigating into the FBX Exporter folder in the Project tab and right click > Reveal in Finder

upload_2018-8-27_14-59-17.png

2. Remove
    Code (csharp):
    1. "com.unity.formats.fbx": "2.0.0-preview"
    from the project's manifest.json to make sure that the local package in Packages/ is the one that is used by the Unity project

3. In Unity, under packages you should now see a new folder called FBX SDK CSharp Bindings

upload_2018-8-27_15-1-53.png

4. In FBX SDK CSharp Bindings > MacOS select UnityFbxSdkNative.bundle and change its import settings to exclude any platforms that are causing problems.
    Note: The UnityFbxSdkNative.bundle.meta file may be read-only, in which case you will need to change its permissions before modifying the import settings.

Best,
    Viktoria

Quatum1000 likes this.
  32. liewald

liewald

I'm writing some clinical research software and I need to do a direct export of a unity object to a fbx for further processing. The export from the menu works perfectly and the exported fbx moves along our pipeline effortlessly. However when I try to incorporate the exporter into my c# code I cannot access the export methods as only
    FbxExporters.FbxPrefab. is available to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

33. vkovec

vkovec

Hi @liewald,

Glad to hear it :)

Are your scripts in an Editor folder?

The export methods are currently editor only. If you are using a version from the Asset Store your script needs to be in an Editor folder in order to access the export functions.

Best,
    Viktoria

Quatum1000 likes this.
  34. liewald

liewald

Thanks will give it a try

Dave

vkovec likes this.
  35. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

2018.3 beta new prefab system.

Hi Team,

With the new prefab workflow in 2018.3 and updated API there are a lot of problems with the fbx exporter. Team want to benefit from the new workflow and rework their code because of the new API. A lot of obsolete API commands produce = null results and in case of fbx-exporter it cause quirky issues.

Untitled-1.jpg

We all urgently need an new preview.X package with fixed obsolete api's that handle the code correctly and prefabs correctly as it did nicely before.

Do you have any time line for the updated fbx exporter package?

alanjawn likes this.
  36. vkovec

vkovec

Hi @Quatum1000,

We are actively investigating the issues with the exporter in 2018.3.
    I will let you know when an updated version is available.

Best,
    Viktoria

Quatum1000 likes this.
  37. SirNW

SirNW

I am surprised all the transforms aren't reset to 0 when exporting, I saw that position can be but why not the others. I also haven't been able to get the Maya round-trip workflow to work for this, but did find a workaround with probuilder. So if possible I would like to request a full freeze transform option added to the export, (Blender users would love it since their modules import strangely too.) Also I am hoping that the material alfa will work with the next update be cause that would be a big time saver.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  38. vkovec

vkovec

Hi @SirNW,

It used to be the default behavior in older versions of the exporter (version 1.3.0a1 and earlier), however several users had issues with the scale and rotation being reset, which is why we changed the behavior.
    For example, exporting a Unity cube that you scaled to be a wall, would export it as a plain cube if the scaling resets, which was not ideal for prototyping.
    I will add a task to investigate adding the option back in.

I'm glad you were able to find a workaround. Could you please explain your workflow and which parts weren't working?

For the material alpha export, I have logged a task for it, but it is not likely to be in the next update.

Best,
    Viktoria

39. SirNW

SirNW

Hello, thanks for the response, and that's a huge shame it didn't work in the earlier versions. I know its not likely any time soon, but was always hoping someday in the future the pivot point could be edited as easily as sprites can.
    Also, exporting the terrain doesn't work either, however exporting to sketchfab does... minus the trees and grass which would be really nice to have.

For the round trip I was watching to this video
    , and in Maya the Unity - import isn't there. Maya might have updated it or possibly its because I have a student version. I only have the standard import and Unity export option, but that is the same exact workflow I used before the new instancing. That's fine to me but programmers told me overwriting fbx files can mess up the meta files.
    Sometimes also when making the instance, it doesn't compete and throws and error...

ArgumentException: FbxPrefab source model must be an fbx asset
    FbxExporters.FbxPrefabAutoUpdater+FbxPrefabUtility.SetSourceModel (UnityEngine.GameObject fbxModel)
    FbxExporters.Editor.ConvertToModel.SetupFbxPrefab (UnityEngine.GameObject toConvert, UnityEngine.GameObject unityMainAsset, System.String projectRelativePath, System.String fbxFullPath)
    FbxExporters.Editor.ConvertToModel.Convert (UnityEngine.GameObject toConvert, System.String fbxDirectoryFullPath, System.String fbxFullPath, System.String prefabDirectoryFullPath, System.String prefabFullPath, FbxExporters.EditorTools.ConvertToPrefabSettingsSerialize exportOptions)
    FbxExporters.Editor.ConvertToPrefabEditorWindow.Export ()
    FbxExporters.Editor.ExportOptionsEditorWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)

40. vkovec

vkovec

I may have misunderstood your previous post. Would you like to bake the transform into the mesh on export, or reset the transform to 0 without modifying the mesh?

Baking the transform into the mesh can be achieved by using the "Freeze Transform" option in ProBuilder, which is perhaps what you are already using. The second option, resetting the transform without modifying the mesh, is what the FBX exporter is currently doing when resetting position on export. Older versions of the exporter did this for rotation and scale as well, which is what I was referring to in my previous post.

Yes it is not currently possible to export Terrain objects with the FBX exporter. There is however an OBJ exporter that exports the terrain. You can find the code here: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=TerrainObjExporter

The Unity > Import/Export menus in Maya are part of a plugin that comes with the FBX exporter package. You will need to first install it from the FBX export settings (found in Unity under Edit > Project Settings > FBX Export) before seeing it in Maya.

Here is a video with more details for setting up the Unity Integration for Maya.

This video shows using the Asset store version, but the more recent Package Manager version will follow the same steps after installation.

Additonal workflow videos are available on the Asset store page.

Which steps are you using to make the instance? Are you creating it by right-clicking a GameObject in the scene and selecting "Convert to Linked Prefab instance" (as in the video)?

Best,
    Viktoria

41. SirNW

SirNW

I was imagining a hybrid of the two ideas for mesh pivot points. Similar two how you can move it in Maya, so maybe there would be a "Mesh editor" window that like in the sprite editor, after editing you press apply and it bakes. I know some people don't like writing over the original file like that but maybe there is a way similar to the way Maya does the linked instance. It's just a fun thing to imagine, though it's not likely.

Yes, I have just this last month started using pro builder and it is amazing how powerful it is and that is great news about the obj exporter works with the terrain. I'll have to check that out, I have never really tried getting into the code before so this should be interesting, thank you.

That is all very helpful information about the Maya workflow, thanks!
    For some reason, Youtube videos stopped working in my Unity (I get this "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available. Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about HTML5 video.") and I didn't think of going to the asset store in Chrome, so I have just been looking on Mayas site and through there extensions.

I did do the steps you mentioned for the instance, but it was only once or twice that happened, but my project can be buggy ever since I tried to sink it with Icloud (just a temperary experiment). I'll have to try the ways you sent, Thanks again for everything!

vkovec likes this.
  42. vkovec

vkovec

Interesting idea, thank you for the suggestion. This would be cool to have, but I think it is out of scope for now.

My pleasure :).That's unfortunate about the videos not working. Here are the basic steps for installing the Maya Integration:

1. Open Fbx Export Settings (menu: Edit > Project Settings > Fbx Export) in Unity
    2. Use the 3D Application property to choose the 3D modeling software and version where you want to install the Unity Integration
    3. If you don't see the version you would like to use, click the Browse button

upload_2018-10-2_13-51-55.png

4. Before installing the integration, close all instances of the 3D modeling software that match the specified version
    5. Click "Install Unity Integration"
    6. The Unity Integration comes packaged in several zip files (one zip file per supported application). When prompted, select a target folder where you want to extract the integration. The target folder can be outside of your current Project.
    7. The application will start and configure the plugin

The instructions are also available in the documentation that comes with the FBX exporter package. If you are using an Asset store version, the documentation will be a pdf in the package root. Additional information about the installation and workflow can be found there as well.

Do you have any missing scripts on the instances causing problems? Also, which version of the FBX exporter are you using?
    If you continue to see the issue, please send me the exact steps to reproduce, and if possible the prefab and FBX that cause the problem.

43. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

when exporting a model just comes out as a colored plane, any idea why?

44. soufiane-raja19

soufiane-raja19

i try to export fbx from my game but i get this error :

MissingMethodException: Method 'UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.GetCorrespondingObjectFromSource' not found.
    FbxExporters.Editor.ModelExporter.ExportComponents (Unity.FbxSdk.FbxScene fbxScene, System.Boolean exportAnim) (at <ed6d9bae7a3e4e4ea6fa1b1d658e00cb>:0)
    FbxExporters.Editor.ModelExporter.ExportAll (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] unityExportSet, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] animationExportData) (at <ed6d9bae7a3e4e4ea6fa1b1d658e00cb>:0)
    FbxExporters.Editor.ModelExporter.ExportObjects (System.String filePath, UnityEngine.Object[] objects, FbxExporters.EditorTools.IExportOptions exportOptions) (at <ed6d9bae7a3e4e4ea6fa1b1d658e00cb>:0)
    FbxExporters.Editor.ExportModelEditorWindow.Export () (at <ed6d9bae7a3e4e4ea6fa1b1d658e00cb>:0)
    FbxExporters.Editor.ExportOptionsEditorWindow.OnGUI () (at <ed6d9bae7a3e4e4ea6fa1b1d658e00cb>:0)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:305)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:313)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/referencesource/mscorlib/system/reflection/methodbase.cs:229)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:261)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:387)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/IMGUIContainer.cs:195)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/IMGUIContainer.cs:333)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/IMGUIContainer.cs:317)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.DispatchEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/EventDispatcher.cs:250)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/UIElementsUtility.cs:251)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/UIElementsUtility.cs:78)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUIUtility.cs:175)

45. SirNW

SirNW

Thanks, I was able to get everything to work so far. Yeah, I am sure artist love it something visual like that, I also always wished those kinds of editor windows/functions would be consolidated into preview at the bottom of the inspector, but something that ambitious would probably be years away. Thanks again for the help.

vkovec likes this.
  46. vkovec

vkovec

Hi @GameDevCouple_I,

If possible, could you please send the model you are exporting?

Alternatively please send screenshots of the hierarchy as well as the object before and after export.

Thank you,
    Viktoria

47. vkovec

vkovec

Hi @soufiane-raja19,

Could you please send the steps to reproduce the issue, and if possible the fbx causing the issue?

Also, which version of Unity and of the exporter are you using?

Best,
    Viktoria

48. eric_funktroniclabs

eric_funktroniclabs

Is there a workaround for the lack of IL2CPP support?

mikelortega likes this.
  49. newguy123

newguy123

I can't get this installed for Max 2019. In Unity it picks up max 2019, I then click install, it asks where I want to save the scripts and I choose a path on my D:\ drive. Max 2019 launches, but nothing happens, Max just hangs doing nothing, Unity also just hangs so I dont even get errors. Unity and Max both work fine otherwise, just can't get the install done as it should. I also tried manually installing the 4 maxscripts by dropping them into the max viewport 1 by 1 , but 3 of them do nothing while the 4th give me an "undefined" error

50. amorinImgSpc

amorinImgSpc

Hi!

Just tried to reproduce your bug but I wasn't able to.

Normally if everything works out during the integration install process, you won't get any "installation successful" messages - but the "Export to Unity" settings will be added to the Export drop-down (and, similarly, an "Import from Unity in the Import drop-down). Can you confirm that these options haven't appeared?

What version of the package (and of Unity) are you using, by the way?

Hoping we can figure things out;

Alexis

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.