Search Unity

WebGL Roadmap

Discussion in 'Web' started by jonas-echterhoff, Jun 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twobob

twobob

Yeah I also edited to include non-unity solutions. Thought originally the OP was asking "Is there some other Unity tool" but looking back not sure he was.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    NotaNaN likes this.
  2. grobonom

grobonom

Not sure as i know browsers dev and their universe are hell....

But...

Wouldn't that be much that instead of using another thing ( that will potentially come to crappy thing like webgl ) U3D devs create their webGPU player that will become the standard in few months ?

U3D devs KNOW what are the need of 3D in browser. They already proved it with the old webplayer.

I bet.... it would be piece of cake for them to create a U3Dwebgpu that kills al ;)

All this sound so stupid and so frustrating ! Mostly because we know 3D really works in browsers :'(

3. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

Absolutely.
    However, the issue is exactly that — the standard keeps changing. WebGPU itself is going through API hemorrhage with API's changing frequently. It's difficult to support a platform if that platform's individual APIs keep getting deprecated for new APIs. Because each time that happens, work has to be thrown away.

It's kinda like building a house on a dormant volcano.

While I look forward to WebGPU, and I would love for Unity to prioritize moving to WebGPU on the sooner than the later side — I understand their patience.

One step forward, two steps back — and all that!

Yes. WebGPU will be a huge boost to Unity's Web capabilities, full stop.
    However, will Unity void all the other competitors in the market due to it? That's more difficult to say. :D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    deus0, LooperVFX and twobob like this.
  4. twobob

twobob

The webplayer was the single reason I eventually moved to unity3d. It was night and day versus the competition.

If they ever regained that kind of amazingly simple delivery with sublime performance then yes, they will crush it

Lars-Steenhoff, deus0 and grobonom like this.
  5. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

The Webplayer wasn't much of a web technology. It was a plugin that let you run a Windows Mono build in a browser window. The only thing the browser did was providing the window, the rest was all the plugin.

But since all the browser vendors removed plugin support it is now gone. And rightfully so since the pugin eco system was just a big pool of s%$t filled with security holes and exploits because everyone could do whatever they wanted.
    Every company who had a non-scam plugin of any reasonably big install base was pooping their pants daily just waiting if someone would exploit their plugin in the wild. And so did we since we were one of the biggest.

Yes, WebGL is more effort to optimize your game, but the internet/browsers/people's computers/my life are better off this way.

6. twobob

twobob

No argument here about that. It was ancient tech and ready to die for all the reasons you cite.
    That said: Still maintain that the current incarnation doesn't fill the hole that is left (for obvious reasons you also cite) and that rift is still insurmountably wide for some titles.

Not bashing, just stating what IMHO others also feel. Waiting for that happy sunshine day.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    deus0 likes this.
  7. JeffreyBennett

JeffreyBennett

Marks4, deus0, ilmario and 3 others like this.
  8. neoshaman

neoshaman

Is there a place where we can safely follow the up to date webgpu drama?

Is it possible to make, say psx level game that play on all browser safely right now?

LooperVFX likes this.
  9. twobob

twobob

10. twobob

twobob

That not work on webplayer as is? possibly. (I think it probably can all joking aside.)

Although an entire Pakistan Stock Exchange simulator might be a reach....
    (Sorry could not resist)

11. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

Pretty exciting that these WebGPU origin trial websites are available in Chrome already without any special experimental flags / settings. Looking forward to Unity build target for the WebGPU origin trial.

https://web.dev/gpu/

deus0 likes this.
  12. vadimtihonyuk

vadimtihonyuk

I saw WebGPU: WebGL in ios 15 safari experiments

twobob likes this.
  13. blockimperium

blockimperium

I will say that I hope some work is done on the interface between the Unity side and calling the Javascript side. Doing Web3 projects is PAINFUL because debugging is a nightmare. On top of that, there are all sorts of code smells with the current mechanism of DLL import. It's NAS-TAY...

14. ZeBraNS

ZeBraNS

2022.1b1 apparently has these new features. So will the builds on WebGL in 2022.1 be supported on mobile browsers?
    Also, I didn't find that Progressive template in the templates list in Unity Hub.
    • WebGL: Added a WebGL template for Progressive Web Apps.
    • WebGL: Added mobile keyboard support for WebGL to enter text in UI input fields.
    • WebGL: Added texture compression format setting to WebGL's player settings.
    • WebGL: Added UI options for control WASM memory heap size and growth.
    • WebGL: Improved caching of data files and asset bundles
    • WebGL: Removed mobile browser warning from builds

15. newguy123

newguy123

That bit is not in the Hub templates, it's in the WebGL templates under Player Settings > Resolution and Presentation

upload_2021-12-14_22-6-14.png

JamesArndt, ZeBraNS and De-Panther like this.
  16. DrViJ

DrViJ

Hi, can somebody tell if we can report bugs for webgl on mobile platforms? Are mobile platforms officialy supported in 2022 and will bugs be opened/investigated/fixed?

LooperVFX likes this.
  17. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

You can always report these and we encourage you doing so. While we have not made an official decision on the mobile support yet we try improve it which includes fixing mobile specific bugs.

JamesArndt, OceanX000, DrViJ and 3 others like this.
  18. rusavladev

rusavladev

Hey, does webgl supports multitouch onn mobiles?

19. adamgolden

adamgolden

Yes

20. GCatz

GCatz

21. netpenthe1

netpenthe1

@Schubkraft any update on the web roadmap? Would love to hear any news

22. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

23. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

Agreed that the roadmap could use an update.

There hasn't been any since March 2021 - I doubt in 1 year there has not been any process or new items.

DrViJ likes this.
  24. Arowx

Arowx

Didn't they mention new roadmaps with the DOTS announcement the one where they did not mention Tiny at all?

25. neoshaman

neoshaman

Damn unity!

26. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Hey, I no longer work with the WebGL team so I don't know any concrete plans from the top of my head. But if you look the 22.1 beta release notes you can see the following items:

WebGL: Added a WebGL template for Progressive Web Apps.
    WebGL: Added mobile keyboard support for WebGL to enter text in UI input fields.
    WebGL: Added texture compression format setting to WebGL's player settings.
    WebGL: Added UI options for control WASM memory heap size and growth.
    WebGL: Improved caching of data files and asset bundles.
    WebGL: Removed mobile browser warning from builds.

So you can see that improving the mobile story is still ongoing and some other parts. Not sure how accurate the roadmap page reflects the current thinking, but I assume it is still mostly accurate.

stonstad, dlorddd, twobob and 7 others like this.
  27. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

Thanks for looking into it! Would you know who is the product manager for WebGL on the forums? As I was told by Unity staff that they are responsible for the public roadmap.

So instead of tagging individuals like you who may change teams internally, we should tag the actual person in charge of the roadmap :)

NotaNaN likes this.
  28. anthony_b_

anthony_b_

Unity Technologies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.