Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Volumetric Lights in Fog

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by DanielRiches, Mar 4, 2020.

1. DanielRiches

DanielRiches

Having trouble with my lighting, anyone know how to increase the distance the camera renders volumetric lights at? I need to be able to see the lights and the fog surrounding them at distance. Notice in the picture below the street light closest to me shows volumetrics fine, but the one facing away is only showing about quarter of it's light volume :(. also cant remember the setting to make them softer so they dont look spotty if anyone can remember?

using Unity 2019.3.3f1 HDRP.

2. DanielRiches

DanielRiches

Anyone out there have any insight?

3. Tricktale

Tricktale

For setting the volumetric fog culling distance, click the little cog next to the Fog override to show more settings and increase the "Depth Extent" in the Volumetric Fog settings.

Play with the "Slice Distribution" and enable "Filter" to remove some of the blotches. You can also enable "High Quality" under Volumetrics in the Lighting section of the HDRenderPipeline asset for great looking volumetrics, but it's very resource intensive.

DanielRiches likes this.
  4. DanielRiches

DanielRiches

You sir are a legend.

Did not even occur to me to use the cog for extra options, sometimes I forget it even exists XD

Thanks!

Tricktale likes this.
  5. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

We get that question about the fog settings that are hidden behind the cog icon like every month. I think I answered that question also many times. That just proves to me that it is silly to hide two extra menu items behind an icon. I also get often fooled by hidden settings that make a difference like day and night. Hopefully Unity will change that. I mean, what can a "non advanced person" break when they show the filter setting by default? Also why is the filter turned off by default? The fog clearly looks better with the filter and I cannot think of anyone who actually like the pixel look more. Sometimes I really do not get some design decisions that Unity made. It is like persons who never did work with a game engine in production acutally developing the game engine and the UX.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    Tricktale likes this.