Search Unity

Voice Chat with Netcode

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by eoliosart16, Nov 17, 2022.

1. eoliosart16

eoliosart16

I am developing a small platformer for a school project. The requirements are that the game must run on LAN, so we are using Unity's Netcode for Game Objects and that's working perfectly, and also that it must have a voice chat.

I have been trying to find a voice chat that works with Netcode for Game Objects, so far I've only found Dissonance, but since it's a school project I would prefer a free option.

If anyone knows a solution for this I would be very thankful. I am quite new to Unity.

2. lavagoatGG

lavagoatGG

RikuTheFuffs-U likes this.
  3. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Install Discord. Done. :cool:

Seriously, built-in ingame voice chat support has never gained much traction, gamers generally prefer to use a common and global service to do their voice chatting across multiple games and apps or just for having a chat.

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Photon Voice Chat might work since you can use the free plan and NGO has a Photon transport layer.

5. mgear

mgear

Niter88 likes this.
  6. Aust_

Aust_

I agree with CodeSmile. Since it's a school project you'll probably get an A+ for making a decent multiplayer game, even without voice chat, so don't worry :) If you really need to put one in, you could probably use Vivox. Also what school makes you put a voice chat in a game for homework?

7. Brianwest111

Brianwest111

I usually buy the license and do it from there, it's much easier than having so much trouble on your head. I understand that it involves spending financial resources but that sure makes up for the nerves you will save.

8. rainboww

rainboww

I have the same question, i would like to know if there is a way to:
    a) Send and receive video and audio streams (and ofcourse play them)
    b) Without a third party solution only unity and the official networking solution

And ofcourse there are extra plugins to make anything out there but it would be poor if it could not be programmed with core unity and when a custom solution is needed plugins tend to help little.

9. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Your a) and b) questions only make sense when asked together. ;)
    The individual answers are: a) yes but b) no.

a) Any two machines connected via a network can stream audio/video. Theoretically speaking.
    b) But you are asking whether Netcode has this streaming built-in, thus the answer is: no.

10. rainboww

rainboww

Indeed takiing the question that open there would be no Audio Video platforms if you could not stream it. So add a with Unity3d at the end of a).

I was thinking more along the lines of this: Is Unity able to capture a webcam, i guess it is, but also can it play the stream? I guess thats a bit more tricky, the Videoplayer did not support this last time i looked.
    So i guess it could be made with Raw Image and Audio Source?