Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Vladimir Putin low poly caricature

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tom_Veg, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Tom_Veg

Tom_Veg

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Pretty nice caricature.
    Although the model looks pretty good, there are some ngons (more than 4 sided polygons) throughout the model. Ngons should be avoided at all cost. They create pinching and edge overlapping that can not be controlled - even with proper skinning. Consider updating the model to only include polygons, and if needed minimal triangles.

Also - sorry to point this out - the armpit & shoulder skinning isnt very good. There is an ngon just below the armpit on the inner bicep however I do not think the bad skinning is caused by this. Instead the reason the skinning isnt very good is because the modeling pose is not natural with the hands splayed palms facing forward.
    This pose in real life puts a twist (believe it or not) along the upper bicep and into where the shoulder meets the upper arm. So the artist has to be very knowledgeable about anatomy and expertly model this twist into the bicep and shoulder and armpit in order for the model to assume a normal hands down casual pose after skinning is complete.

This is one of the reasons professional modelers create models with the palms facing down, and even a lot of times create the model in an A pose instead of a T pose, so the shoulders and armpits match closely a natural pose after skinning is complete.

The process to fix this is to remove the skinning data, rework the arms and hands so the palms are facing down, place the bones in the correct position with the model in the new pose and re-skin.
    The bad skinning is obvious in the short video provided but to provide a even more obvious example to confirm the shoulder skinning should be fixed - apply any common running cycle to the model, and the model will look like he is running with his shoulders hunched up - a very unnatural shoulder motion/pose when running.

Hope this helps improve your modeling workflow.

3. Tom_Veg

Tom_Veg

Thank you for your comment. I made this model while back when my technical aspects of modeling and rigging skills where not best. My top skill is sculpting. And at the time this project was one of my first projects of making game ready character. Ability to capture likeness of real person, and make a caricature is my main skill. I was aware that rigging and body was not perfect. But, i uploaded him anyway cause i was thinking that maybe someone would want to have caricature of Putin, since there are no similar models of Putin uploaded anywhere. Anyone can learn to rig and model properly, (as i have improved on that a lot since i made this model) but not anyone can sculpt likeness well. After your comment i will remake the body and the skinning. But, i cant do it now cause i have several freelance projects ongoing. So i will unpublish the model untll i find the time to fix it.

Here you can see that my skills of rigging and optimizing for Unity have improved. My ongoing project for Unity. Still a wip, but with advice's of my friends, from whom some are more experienced riggers and animators, this character will be full pro. https://www.facebook.com/tomislav.v...21608.1073741902.558886607&type=3&pnref=story

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Tom_Veg

Tom_Veg

I fixed the model as you advised me and published.

Humanoid mecanim animations now work much better with him. What i did is basically i rotated arms in right direction on sculpture, then i needed to create new topology for that. Im still keeping old version in store just in case someone would prefer it in what ever reason :) https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79344

Again tnx for help

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

I love it :D

Tom_Veg likes this.
  6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yeah that looks at least 90% better. Nice update. Do you have a new video with him animated?

Tom_Veg likes this.
  7. Tom_Veg

Tom_Veg

thank you. No i don't have animations.