Search Unity

Bug Visual Scripting on 2021 and Bolt on 2020 throw up same warnings on new projects with clean install

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by Alwaysusa, May 30, 2021.

1. Alwaysusa

Alwaysusa

So I wanted to try Bolt on my 2020.3.1 install, but when I add the package, I get several warnings when the installation completes, and whenever I play the empty sample scene. This is the warning that floods the console:

Failed to fetch inherited attributes on Unity.Plastic.Antlr3.Runtime.Tree.TreeWizard+WildcardTreePattern.
    System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type Antlr.Runtime.Tree.AntlrRuntime_BaseTreeDebugView while decoding custom attribute: (null)

I guessed that as Bolt had been bought and Visual Scripting is now a core component in 2021, perhaps it was a known issue that wasn't going to get fixed. I decided to get the latest engine and try the built in version.

I get exactly the same error.

I completely uninstalled Unity Hub, and the engines, and as directed on some other thread, removed all traces of Unity from the appdata folders. I then started a brand new project using 2021.1.9 and...

the same error.

I don't seem to be able to find anyone else having this issue, but I can't think what it might be. A completely fresh install and still the warnings spamming the console.

Any ideas?

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    hopetolive likes this.
  2. Juandapp

Juandapp

I have the same problem, did you achieve something?

3. MarsOdysseus

MarsOdysseus

Hello,

I have the same problem too since today on a fresh new Project on 2021.1.9.
    But no problem with project created last week also on 2021.1.9

Edit : I was wrong the problem exist too on my older project... The problem was not here last week...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  4. Meteorwater

Meteorwater

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    hillmark, hopetolive and randy2_0 like this.
  5. MarsOdysseus

MarsOdysseus

I have updated my project on 2021.1.10 and no problem anymore.

6. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

I still have the same issue in 2021.1.10 with UnityVS 1.6.1 and 1.7.2. No red errors, just old regular yellow warnings.

7. Juandapp

Juandapp

2021.11 same problem.-...

8. pt81

pt81

In a fresh project (Unity 2021.1.11f1) I was able to fix this error by removing version control (Window --> Package Management). I can now use visual scripting without errors. Even warnings aren't a good sign when starting a fresh project as I like to have as clean an environment as possible right from the start. Having these warnings can make bug-finding more difficult as one can miss an important error simply because these 'less important' ones are in the way.

Hopefully there's a fix for this to remove unnecessary or unneeded dependencies, or whatever else it may be that is causing the error.

TheCyclopes007 and crafTDev like this.
  9. TheCyclopes007

TheCyclopes007

PT81 solved my issue by removing version control thanks man its been bugging the crap out of me.

10. tigme

tigme

I Removed version control from 2021.12f1 to resolve the warnings

11. ericb_unity

ericb_unity

Unity Technologies

12. da_ace23

da_ace23

Hi,

I just encountered the same issue in Unity 2021.1.16f1 and Version Control 1.7.1. According to the issuetracker the problem has been fixed since version 1.8. However I can't find any alternative package version in the Package Manager window anymore in order to force an update to a higher version... which might be closely related to the issue discussed here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/see-all-versions-command-was-removed.1008619/

Be that as it may, is there any chance that some version of higher than 1.7.1 get's rolled out for 2021.1 in order to fix this?

Cheers!

13. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

1.8 might be available only in 2021.2. Same as UnityVS 1.7.1 is available only in 2021.2. Sorta defeats the purpose of the package manager when you have to update to the latest, unstable Unity version to get a package version you need.

You can also always force the update by manually editing the manifest.json package version.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  14. ericb_unity

ericb_unity

Unity Technologies

It is not suggested to force the version by manually adding the wanted package version, as some time, we may have editor dependencies. But yeah, sometime, it will do the job, to be done at your own risque as the versions won't be tested together.

15. metaphysician

metaphysician

refreshing this thread somewhat @ericb_unity, i have a student on a Windows machine with a project that seemingly has no Visual Scripting (or Version Tracking) packages installed, and it fails the build with an Argument Exception claiming that Unity.VisualScripting.Antlr3.Runtime is referenced by Unity.VisualScripting.Flow. it looks like this is on the latest editor - 2021.1.22. i've told the student to delete the Library, PackageManager, Packages and Temp folders and reopen the project in case there's any weird leftovers, but outside of that i don't have a good suggestion for him.

16. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Always try/suggest "Help > Reset Packages to Defaults" first and foremost.

Good luck!

17. RevvyOnMain

RevvyOnMain

In the menu select tools, bolt, setup wizard. Proceed to the assemblies section and when there select the plus sign to add a new assembly. Scroll down until you find the plastics assemblies and the universal render pipeline assemblies. Add each of these assemblies (currently two for plastics and eight for the universal render pipeline) to the assemblies screen. Then proceed as normal with the setup wizard. This should make the errors stop when you're pressing play. Hope this is useful :)

18. tallchristos

tallchristos

it worked for me! Thanks.

ericb_unity likes this.