Search Unity

'See all versions' command was removed

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Deleted User, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

As of Unity 2021 alpha 5 only way I can update Rider package from verified version 2.0.7 to any other version is to manually edit `manifest.json`. This is a very hard workaround. Specifically I want to see the latest available Rider package version.
    I have already tried `Enable Pre-Release Packages` option, it doesn't help.

There is an item in whatsnew, which seems related: "Package Manager: Removed 'See all versions' option in version list for external users, added Project Setting for internal users to re-enable this option."

upload_2020-11-19_12-26-47.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2020
  2. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

I can confirm the same behavior.
    This is very undesirable because there's no discoverability at all. I just necro-ed an old GitHub issue because I thought I was using the latest version, but I wasn't.

I would very much like to see the "internal user" option available, even if behind a warning.

eugeneloza, rdjadu, AnahidE5 and 2 others like this.
  3. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

The setting is in PackageManagerSettings.asset (m_SeeAllPackageVersions)
    But it reverts back to "disabled" on every reload...

The actual toggle can be seen if you use the Visual Elements Debugger in the Package Manager settings page.
    Using the actual toggle with the pacman window open will work, but only until reload too.

screenshot 2020.11.19-09.59.21.png screenshot 2020.11.19-09.59.02.png screenshot 2020.11.19-09.58.56.png

Renatusdev, AM-Dev and PJRM like this.
  4. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

Starting with 2021.1 this is by design to ensure the quality of these built-in packages and the overall stability of the product.

These packages (code editors integration) are even more critical for the stability of the product because they are allowed to run within the safe mode environment if something goes wrong with the compilation of your project. We need to make sure that our users can work safely.

New major/minor release version of built-in packages are only available through the release of a new Unity version and can update in older Unity versions, if we are confident enough that we can safely land these changes.

Any patch versions of these built-in packages can update the already verified versions and can be made available more directly through a package update from our official package registry.

In any case, you can still edit manually the manifest.json of your project, but this is a scenario that can make the product unstable and so, we don't recommend to use unless you have no other options.

sgt3v and SugoiDev like this.
  5. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

Of course, it makes sense.

But we're alpha testing 2021, so there should be a way, at least for beta/alpha versions, for us to easily see the available versions. Maybe it should respect the setting if one manually edited pacman's settings asset and set it there.

Otherwise we would be reporting bugs for things that were already fixed in some new version that we simply don't know exist, since there's no discoverability.

6. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, there is currently no plan to make packages that will land in beta to be more accessible during the alpha.

7. fherbst

fherbst

I hope you understand that this will hurt the overall quality of the Unity product, not improve it.

You will confidently release packages that are broken for users, because no user had a chance to test them. You are removing an essential and crucial part of testing - exposure to real-world projects - before code hits the general user population.

It's a punch in the face for all people who have went the extra mile and reported alpha/beta/package issues. You're essentially saving "We don't care if it's broken on release! Let us have a cleaner lifecycle!".

Tying package versions to editor versions so strongly will only help beginners, who have less chances to mess up their projects; everyone else is hurt by this because you're essentially saving "you're out of support if you're changing the package version, even if the old one is broken".

I understand that there would be some testing that can happen during beta, but time and again it has shown that that's too late to actually fix workflow and design issues.

8. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

That's a pity.

I think this will hurt bug reporting somewhat, since we'll be submitting bug reports for issues that were already resolved. It already affected me, since I ended up digging an issue that was indeed solved in a version that pacman was not showing me (hence this thread).

How do you reckon we'll get to know when a bug is worth taking the time to report, in this case? Reporting takes time and reporting on moot issues is time wasted on both sides. Or is reporting bugs on packages discouraged now? It feels like us testers are being left out-of-the-loop. Not sure how to feel about this decision.

SuperRaffles and anycolourulike like this.
  9. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

That's completely the opposite. We care a lot more about the quality of the release and the coherency of these packages together. The problem before is that these packages could be released without being necessarily validated as a whole with other packages and editor versions. This has caused massive disruptions to many Unity developers and studios. That's the feedback that we have received and we are trying to address that.

It's the same for any big product. Look at Visual Studio: They don't release Roslyn as a package on the side when integrating it into VS, no. They release it as part of the VS product in one go. They have lots of betas versions to check that what they deliver is working and correctly integrated. What is wrong is having core experience parts that you could singular update outside of a whole product experience.

That's not correct. We never said that old editors having packages should not be updated if something is fixed in a newer version. But some features that might put the product at risk for older editors might not be backported. Again, this is something that we have received very clearly from our users: they don't want us to break their current project.

10. tangyinglin0228

tangyinglin0228

I updated my AR mini game editor to 2021.1.13 and 15 from 2019 LTS. After using AR foundation 4.1.7. Google Play just shows a message to me that the update will remove half of the supported devices(200+ left).
    I wanted to roll back the AR version to 3.x or 2.x. Is there any tutorial or documentation to show how to do that? Or I have to go back to 2020 version?

11. DSivtsov

DSivtsov

I think the count of Unity developers and studios which will unhappy with these change will be more, the others which requested you about that change (many of them doesn't know about it now)

I disagree with that because now (versus Steam's idiots politics with autoupdate), only developer self can decide to update his package or not ... And if decided by some reason to install not verified package it a his right ... You can noted to him that in this case you didn't a guaranty the stability of system, but I agree with other, that it give to universe of Unity more good than bad
    ...You receive additional free testers, which can inform you about founded some bugs in your new release before you uploaded them with mark "Verified", and people which believe in you, "begin transfer" their production release to new packages... and after that at "mass testing" you can detect what exist a some bugs in your verified version ... you rise up the chance what that issue can occur.

;) Time will decide who was to the right ... ( you only disabled that possibility and not cleaned the Trash :) )

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    anycolourulike likes this.
  12. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

Agreed, and I don't strictly agree with the restrictions that have been put into Unity package manager recently. It is definitely hurting package beta testing, while we rely heavily on this to bring more quality to them. We are discussing internally with the teams responsible for this policy at Unity and we hope to come with a more practical and balanced solution.

13. ouraf

ouraf

Can you at least make the option to see all packages less counterintuitive? editing a json file to do something you did with a simple checkbox in the past is a retrocess.

Use stronger wording or big bold red letters in the warning about the risks of enabling the packages, but don't make your users feel like their freedom to use the engine and its components is being reduced

SuperRaffles likes this.
  14. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

15. PJRM

PJRM

Have you found anything?
    Right now, Unity 2021.2.0f1 i updated the package "Visual Studio Editor" to version 2.0.12, and now it's causing an error in any scene by deselecting any prefab in the scene.

I need to downgrade it to be able to work again in my project.
    This idea of "protecting" the quality of the features could be addressed in a diferent manner instead of ensuring the quality by forcing the user on your standarts, giving the end-user the "information" about the "quality" IMO is better than forcing because if in my case, i encounter a problem by updating a package to a new version, i want to be able to rollback my decision in order to not wait for the "team" to release a fix. And until then i want to rollback to the old version as it is working!

16. PJRM

PJRM

Nevermind.
    I gotta thank SugoiDev!
    You're a life saver! I think the team with that mindset of forcing the end-user to only receive the versions they want whether you get erros or not is ridiculous and they will hate and/or remove UI Toolkit Debugger from the windows in Unity.

AM-Dev likes this.
  17. bdovaz

bdovaz

Over the years there are several Unity decisions that I have not come to understand and this is one of them.

One of the advantages of any package system is the possibility of having a version history and being able to switch between them easily and not only update it but go back to a previous version for cases like a bug. Removing this possibility for developers makes no sense, it's like if Visual Studio hides the versions and forces you to go to the NuGet website to see the versions and edit the csproj file by hand, it doesn't make sense. You can't force users to use a version that suits you.

Unity sold the UPM system as a way to modularize the functionality of the editor and let each team responsible for each package work at their own pace without depending on the release flow of the editor. The reality is that many packages depend on changing the core of the editor and suddenly a new version of a package depends on a new version of the editor and forces you to go from an LTS to a tech (which is almost a beta) release. Or worse, that packages that were independent are again coupled to the editor as UI Toolkit.

18. Solphist

Solphist

An example of why locking in the packages is probably not a good idea.

Release 2021.2.3f1, the virtual mouse sample doesn't work with 1.1.1 at least with an xbox controller.
    It does with 1.2.0 though, but you can't select that package anymore.

Not letting the users not update to the one that works, doesn't seem like the best move.

rtestacct and RflectN_TapLab like this.
  19. cdr9042

cdr9042

I'm also running into issue with this package forced to newest version. Unity In App Purchasing 4.1.1 breaks my project. I want to downgrade to older version that work but Unity 2021 won't allow me.
    Please don't let the tool decide for the human. Let me make the decision of using older package

20. You can always install packages manually:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2021.2/Documentation/Manual/upm-ui-quick.html

If you are on pre-2021 version, use the
    Add package from git URL
    in the form of
    <package name>@<version>
    . For example:
    com.unity.inputsystem@1.2.0
    or something like that.

cjackcandy, Shack_Man and glenneroo like this.
  21. Solphist

Solphist

You can also add them in the menu as "Add package by name", which is what I did to test that the package worked, though you do have to know the name to type in for that.

I do get that they want to have a co-ordinated release were things are sync'd up. This is great, every six months they could put out a co-ordinated stable release or something, but locking down the platform is more likely to annoy than actually help, since for input system example mentioned, requires the latest version of the input system which by default is now being made more awkward to get at and use.

glenneroo likes this.
  22. funkyCoty

funkyCoty

This decision should absolutely be reversed. It's so horrible. Just give us a checkbox and let us decide to use older or newer versions of a package. That's the whole point of a package manager!

Example: Burst is now tied to unity versions. All versions of Burst past 1.6.0 have a bug which freezes the editor on any script compile maybe 20% of the time. Now there's no way to downgrade to the non broken version. Wtf?

23. rozochkin13

rozochkin13

The same issue with Burst 1.6.0 and UCB.
    There is no easy way to downgrade.
    This is an inconvenient change in Package manager.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    djoledjole2 likes this.
  24. bonickhausen

bonickhausen

It's decisions like this that make me want to switch to UE4. Unity keeps making awful decisions and I no longer feel safe with Unity.

25. IvanWeeskey

IvanWeeskey

Nice S***-brain decision! Very nice!
    But just try imagine the situation. I know that u do not think about ur users which want to create a good projects. Coz bad-looking project using ur awesome ""built-in"" tools can create anyone newbie.
    So to make something good we have to use some third-party assets or assets from assets store. And this assets uses some logic from this packages, burst, URP and so on. And u fckin change something and this assets just break.
    WHAT SHOULD I DO IN THIS CASE? MAYBE U MUST TEST NEW PACKAGES ON ALL ASSETS IN ASSETS STORE? To make sure they do not broke?? HUH??
    If u FORBID downgrades then MAKE SURE ALL NEW VERSIONS OF UR PACKAGES WILL BE STABEL IN ALL POSSIBLE SITUATIONS.

26. Michal_Stangel

Michal_Stangel

I upgraded from 2020 to 2021.2 and got an Addressables error, preventing game to enter the Play mode. And due to this I cannot even install older version of package which could potentially solve it.

27. Michal_Stangel

Michal_Stangel

28. glenneroo

glenneroo

I have been fighting with the same/similar Addressables bug since 2 months now (fix is finally being worked on but not available anywhere: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ssets-have-labels-when-entering-the-play-mode) preventing me from upgrading 2020.3 or to 2021.x versions.

I agree with everyone else here, the new Package Manager no longer allowing us to select an older/stable version is just torture. Working with Unity and all the alpha/beta-releases of software is becoming more of a headache. No wonder so many studios and asset devs are reluctant to upgrade to new versions.

Please Unity, do something about this "simplified" Package Manager - it's a disaster! Allow us to download older versions like in 2020! It might not be such a problem if you didn't keep pushing out showstopper bugs, but seeing as that will never happen, allow us to at least downgrade easily (fine - hide the option somewhere and pop up a warning dialog). It might also make sense to enable the "Show Dependencies" option by default and/or to allow us to see that if we downgrade a package, that we should also downgrade to an older version of dependencies.

29. You can install any package versions manually, use the
    +
    /
    Add package by name
    option, write the package url (like
    com.unity.inputsystem
    ) and the desired version number (like
    ) into the boxes and hit the
    Add
    button.
    screenshot.png
    (on older versions of Unity where there is no add by name option, you can use the
    Add package by git URL
    , you just need to format the string like this:
    com.unity.inputsystem@1.3.0
    )

If you do not know the packages' url (when you install packages manually, you will learn them real quick...), then just go to the package in the package manager and click the "documentation" link:
    screenshot1.png

You can find the url in the URL:
    screenshot2.png
    If you aren't sure about the released versions, take a look at the version drop down on the manual page:
    screenshot3.png

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2022
  30. BumbleByte

BumbleByte

This decision is an inconvenience to me at my workplace. We regularly have customers expecting cardboard support or other forms of older VR solutions and getting newer Unity versions to function is now much more time consuming.

As I understand it Unity is collecting on companies with a certain revenue, meaning I am your target audience. I believe the option to install older versions as before, is the way.

You can release Unity with it opted out and let those developers with "massive disruptions" (as you put it) avoid them. It would be a win-win.

rtestacct, glenneroo and djoledjole2 like this.
  31. VarelaByakko

VarelaByakko

That worked!
    Thank!

32. Shikshen

Shikshen

This decision makes no sense. Either your architecture is modular and we can use whatever version of a package we want (above some minimum supported version), or it's monolithic and what we are doing is basically just turning on and off features built in a given Editor version, but in a convoluted way. Using the Package Manager for that purpose sounds like a terrible design choice.

Furthermore, the only reason we have ever used "non-verified" versions of a package is because of bugs in the verified version, so you're just effectively making the lives of developers harder.

33. ehsan_wwe1

ehsan_wwe1

i have a trouble
    most of the package haven't any URL in the description
    how can i get package name or package URL from a package in package manger :D
    ---------update---------
    i find a link
    Host: assetstorev1-prd-cdn.unity3d.com:443
    my package manager download this package from this URL
    by
    this header
    Code (csharp):
    2. {
    3.   "link": {
    4.     "id": "143285",
    5.     "type": "content"
    6.   },
    7.   "unity_version": "2018.4.21f1",
    8.   "pubdate": "22 Apr 2021",
    9.   "version": "8.0.0",
    10.   "upload_id": "430665",
    11.   "version_id": "608645",
    12.   "category": {
    13.     "id": "112",
    14.     "label": "Scripting/Integration"
    15.   },
    16.   "id": "143285",
    17.   "title": "Dissonance For HLAPI",
    18.   "publisher": {
    19.     "id": "23373",
    20.     "label": "Placeholder Software"
    21.   }
    22. }

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  34. ModLunar

ModLunar

What a disappointment!

I really do praise the package manager.
    It is such a powerful tool.

But this is a poor choice, and unnecessarily removes a feature that was already helping users like myself.
    The goal should be that we don't have to manually edit the manifest.json every time just cause we're not making a cookie-cutter Unity template project.
    We want customizability by default.

Even with the ability of editing the manifest.json, we lose the helpful guidance on knowing what versions of a package exist without going to the docs every time :/.

35. iamarugin

iamarugin

I am so tired of UT thinking that all Unity developers are stupid and will not know what they are doing. And you are making the whole package manager workflow worse and worse each time just to receive less complains of newcomers and people who started Unity the first time.

36. AlexEmbrace

AlexEmbrace

My team and I are working on developing an SDK that provides real-time reporting tools for bugs, crashes and Unity-specific metrics. We are using the custom packages and Scope Registries to allow our customers to update/download any version of our SDK inside the Package Manager. With these new changes it has had a negative impact on our customer's experience using the package manager with our package.

I wanted to see if you would be able to add the "See all versions" option back for third-party Scope Registries.

modernator24 and ModLunar like this.
  37. forestrf

forestrf

There has been several features as of lately that increase the number of clicks and things I have to do to get the same things done than before, for example the buttons "pivot/center" and "local/global" that change the scene handle's behaviour now require 2 clicks instead of one.

In this case, we need to write code that gets a list of versions and manually type them. This could be (was) an option which by default shows only stable packages and hides "show all". Most users will use the default and get the benefit of "stability" and simplicity without removing the choice for those who need otherwise.

I'm only commenting on this issue because I have already lost hours of my life due to this and the same will probably repeat in the future. Workflow and iteration speed (including in infrequent tasks) should be optimized and not degraded, in the end we spend a lot of time and don't need to add extra tasks or hoops to what we have to do, the tool should automatize as much as possible and not interpose in the way.

EDIT: I decided to fix myself the inconvenience of the buttons I wrote about that require clicking twice, here it is: https://github.com/forestrf/Unity-2021-with-old-toolbar

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  38. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

+1.

I spent the last 10 minutes trying to figure out why the "verison list" went away (despite having preview packages on & me being on a non-LTS editor version to begin with), eventually to stumble on this thread.

There are packages that have the "main" published documentation (read: the top search results for that system, such as for Burst) where the published 'main' documentation details API that differs from the version you're actually able to install from the UI. The docs certainly don't mention it, and the only way to workaround it is to write custom editor code or to hack some .asset text config files (great dev UX, hah!), which apparently revert themselves too. Ugh.

Please fix this -- it's not helping anyone. =|

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  39. NorthOfEarth

NorthOfEarth

Unfortunately the philosophy of only serving latest release packages has backfired. The latest InputSystem is totally broken and I literally cannot continue development.

40. justtime

justtime

Great. So, i have to see in 2020 which packages were updated and then install them with add from git menu in 2021. How convenient it is!

41. ing_unity

ing_unity

Removed 'see all versions' is really a stupid decision

42. Nokdef

Nokdef

god what a pain it has been working with this new system. Please revert. Awful decision making, makes me wonder if anyone in unity headquarters have ever worked on a game with their engine

43. armnotstrong

armnotstrong

Well, now In-App Purchasing package should upgrade to 4.4.0 for the GPBL v4, we are using Unity 2021.3.8 LTS, which just releases a month ago, you know what? we couldn't find the IAP 4.4.0 in UPM, What a brilliant dude who made this choice!

44. CreepyLamppost

CreepyLamppost

Just wanted to throw my own complaints into this thread. In 2020, I was able to download the most recent package of the XR Interaction Toolkit (2.2.0) and got access to several useful features like the Grab Move Provider. However, when I opened up a Unity 2021 project, I found that I no longer had access to the new package. Granted, I can use the hack of adding the package with a version by name to get the most recent package, but I'm a teacher who has to teach students how to do all the installs, and adding a step like this is very unfriendly.

Additionally, you have NO IDEA how many packages new versions are released with bugs that break the game. In 2020.3.13f1, for example, the default URP Project setup automatically opens with console errors in safe mode because of a recent update to the URP package, so in the past month we've had to show students how to go into the package manager and go back to a previous version of the URP package so that they can exit safe mode. The fact that this option is purposefully made more difficult in 2021 is a primary reason we aren't moving our instruction to a 2021 version, because we can't trust Unity's packages to play nice with each other every time.

45. aveakrause

aveakrause

Considering this thread, it's humorous that the current 2022.1.21f1 version shipped with a broken version of URP/ShaderGraph. You can't make a project using URP in that version right now, and the removal of this feature prevents users from going back to an earlier release of URP & ShaderGraph.

If you're going to remove our ability to use package versions that we know work, you should ensure that you actually try creating a fresh project with all of different templates and verify that they actually work before you push live. Because right now 2022.1.21f1 is useless for anyone who uses URP. Who knows when an update will be pushed live, and who knows if that update will fix these errors. You removed our ability as developers to do it ourselves.

More and more reason for us devs to find better engines... Bevy is looking real attractive, considering the hilariously bad unstable implementation of ECS that Unity has with DOTS. I've heard a lot of people are switching to Godot too.

modernator24 and arkano22 like this.
  46. forestrf

forestrf

I was going to update from 2020 to Unity 2021 so I was thinking of "hacking" that button back in, as it's obvious we need it, but because of another problem with 2021 and higher decided not to update, and so I won't be doing that.
    I think someone should "hack" that "see all versions" button back in, it would be faster and easier than the alternative, I don't see them reverting as removing that option may help them get less bad bug reports. They could leave it as an option disabled by default, but... welp.

That problem I encountered is that for some reason, since Unity 2021 Android games run at 30 fps instead of 60, no matter what I do, so I will stay with 2020.

47. arkano22

arkano22

Just found out about this. It's an *absolutely* moronic decision imho.

The whole point of packages is that they allow you to iterate quicker and ship bug fixes faster, without forcing users to download/install a different version of the entire engine. Tying packages to a specific Unity version and forbidding users to switch individual packages to a different version essentially turns the package manager into an awkward modular installation system where you can just toggle on/off specific features: at this point, allowing users to opt out of features during editor installation accomplishes the exact same thing but it's far less cumbersome.

Please, consider reverting this change. The core issue with packages is that they often don't work well with each other or the core engine. Adding obstacles to make it more difficult for users to find the correct version combination when this happens does not improve matters, in fact it makes them considerably worse: it's just sweeping the problem under the rug.

Oh, that this won't happen and users will never ever need to roll back packages to a previous version because they are thoroughly tested, verified(TM), always work flawlessly with each other and always ship absolutely bug-free... sorry, I forgot. ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  48. forestrf

forestrf

I fixed it myself. I hope it works for everybody and it helps.
    I only tested it with Unity 2021 but it should work in other versions too.

https://github.com/forestrf/FixPackageManagerSeeAllVersions

EDIT: Now I'm on Unity 2022 and this script still works. It doesn't show all the versions, but it's something, but it does show more versions.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  49. ModLunar

ModLunar

Wow!!
    I had no idea you could just go in and literally replace methods using that library you used (Harmony).

Also if anyone's curious, this page from Harmony's docs gives an interesting introduction to patching:
    https://harmony.pardeike.net/articles/intro.html

Thanks for sharing :)
    I wonder if Unity allows us to do this (legally)?

modernator24 and forestrf like this.