Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Video Output

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by barrieoldham, Sep 24, 2015.

1. barrieoldham

barrieoldham

Hi all. Newbie to the group. Can anyone tell me which is the best asset to export my cutscenes as a movie for posting on youtube? Thanks in anticipation of your help. Barrie

2. elmar1028

elmar1028

[old link, it is now spam site, removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
    Ony, Tomnnn, kittik and 2 others like this.
  3. kittik

kittik

Really good article Elmar, I'd have liked to see the video to see how it matches up to Shadow Play.

4. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I like the idea, but I can see it being abused so people can show off 60fps in a game that would only get, as your example showed, 9.6fps :p

elmar1028 likes this.
  5. elmar1028

elmar1028

Thanks!
    I am in progress of making it. I had problems stitching frames together in Adobe Premiere.

The idea is to make each frame last 1/60 seconds (about 17 milliseconds), this way you get a nice smooth video.

The good news is that you can't do it. As mentioned in the article, your game will be at 1 FPS (this is because each frame is captured), rendering it unplayable :D
    So no cheating ;)

kittik likes this.
  6. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Shadow Play is the best way to capture video. Shadow Play is the smoothest solution by a mile. It has nearly no negative impact on the framerate. The only downside of Shadow Play is that is requires a modern Nvidia card, so not everybody has Shadow Play support. But anybody who has the option to use Shadow Play should definitely use it.

elmar1028 and kittik like this.
  7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

That's precisely the issue I am describing. The trailer will show off 60fps but the game itself...

I think we've had enough of movie & game trailers lying to us :D

8. elmar1028

elmar1028

Shadow Play is indeed good and looks pretty solid solution. But as you said it's for modern Nvidia cards. And modern Nvidia cards require strong hardware.
    Which all comes to this: "I need a beefy computer to record my game at 60 FPS"

I am not mocking Shadow Play, since it's a good way to record gameplay of your game, but it won't help people with low-end computers.

I guess that makes me Dr. Evil of the Game Industry :p

Tomnnn likes this.
  9. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Well supposedly MGS:V had 3 chapters and the 3rd was cut and will be sold later as dlc. F* konami.

10. Wenger95

Wenger95

Hi, the link is broken, can you update new one?

11. GMM

GMM

Just make a script that makes the engine always update with the same time interval, when each frame renders, save the frame as a PNG file. When the sequence has been rendered out, put them together in something like Adobe Premiere and apply your audio.

elmar1028 likes this.
  12. Wenger95

Wenger95

Thx, I checked the some link it will save it as png files, but is that possible that save as video? I try to access the front camera and record the user behaviors for data collection, any thoughts? Or just save it as the png files and input it into the AE make it as video later.

13. abeerelaskary

abeerelaskary

where is the vedio

14. abeerelaskary

abeerelaskary

where is the video i want to output video from unity please help me

15. abeerelaskary

abeerelaskary

unity version 5.6.5

16. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

That comment is 2 years old.....

17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Link has been removed, it is old and redirects to a spam site.

18. elmar1028

elmar1028

@abeerelaskary Sorry about that! I no longer maintain a blog due to lack of time.

Looks like someone grabbed a domain and now uses it for evil purposes :(

To explain the premise of the article, what I did was create a simple script that would take screenshot of every frame then save it to a hard drive.

Then I would combine those frames in a video editing software (like Adobe After Effects) and set the time for each frame to last 1/60th of a second (16.67 ms), which would result in 0FPS recording.

The drawback is that you would get video with no audio and screenshot-taking process is painfully slow.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018