Search Unity

[V3 RELEASED!] CTAA V3 ' CINEMATIC TEMPORAL ANTI-ALIASING ' now with HDRP

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA_LABS, Jan 29, 2018.

1. CianNoonan

CianNoonan

I'll make one now. Are you using Deferred rendering when you attempt to replicate?

2. CianNoonan

CianNoonan

It also looks like the mesh that is moving needs to be skinned to cause the effect

3. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

OK Thanks, so it's the PC version you're using, right?

4. CianNoonan

CianNoonan

Yep, PC version 1.9 of CTAA. Unity 2019.1.14. Issue is visible in editor. I'll be uploading the test proj in a couple minutes

5. CianNoonan

CianNoonan

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  6. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Thanks, will download and look at it soon, make sure CTAA is Not included in that project, thanks.

7. CianNoonan

CianNoonan

Ah it is, I'll take it down and reupload to as to not leak a build of it

8. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Thanks, it's late here in Australia, will take a look tomorrow, cheers.

9. CianNoonan

CianNoonan

10. CianNoonan

CianNoonan

These are the settings I used in my demo

upload_2019-9-24_13-42-33.png

11. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

I Will answer both as they are the Same Question.

OK, This is a UNITY BUG which both of you discovered which affects CTAA and unity TAA, fortunately we have a partial solution until (Read below) unity fixes this bug. and it has to do with Motion Vectors on Dynamic objects NOT being Occluded correctly and are linked to Camera near clip value. It has nothing to do with skinned meshes or render pipelines.

Take a look at this image, this is displaying the motion vectors, while the Capsule is in motion, Even when the capsule is being Occluded by the box Wrong_Motionvectors_Not_Occluded.jpg

Here is the motion vectors, when capsule is stationary and not selected, correct! Wrong_Motionvectors_Not_Occluded2.jpg

Here it is in 2D view to show that the Capsule boundary is occluded, Motion vectors are still visible from the Camera view even when the capsule is occluded by the red box object, which is incorrect. Wrong_Motionvectors_Not_Occluded3.jpg

This is Major Bug, we discovered this behaviour is linked to the Camera NEAR CLIP value, so in the meanwhile, just increase it slightly until the effect disappears. Also, it would be a good idea to set your moving characters to not touch the walls too closely.

Again, this affects both CTAA and Unity TAA, however not as bad in CTAA. So the easy fix at the moment is to just increase your nearclip value a little until Unity fixes this bug

=======================================================================
    Coming Soon! CTAA NXT V2

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    ozzgirlrpg likes this.
  12. CianNoonan

CianNoonan

That's great, thanks for finding the route cause. Will you be opening a bug report about this issue? I'd be happy to vote for it so Unity can investigate and/or comment on this

13. ozzgirlrpg

ozzgirlrpg

THANKS! This seems to have solved my issue, if you post a bug report I will be happy to vote on this as well. Just changing the near clip from default 0.3 to 0.4 eliminates the problem. BTW, when is NXT V2 coming out, love to know more about the new features.

14. CianNoonan

CianNoonan

We weren't as lucky, increasing the near clip didn't help until it was far too large a value to be usable(5). It's not something we need to decide now so we are going to leave it broken for now. Maybe in the future, we will just draw the motion vector buffer ourselves and correctly test depth when we do so, or move to a different AA solution.

15. CorgiGone

CorgiGone

So... I bought NEW CTAA XT EXTREME EDITION 15 days ago, when can I get the latest version ?

16. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

The FOV also contributes to this as well, we will take a look into this after CTAA NXT V2 is released and perhaps provide an option in future updates without waiting for Unity to fix their bug. We are already rendering Custom motion vectors in VR so it wouldn't be too difficult to provide an option to use our generated MV in the PC version if you wish to do so as they don't suffer this issue.

You will receive the download information via email when released within the coming week. We cannot wait to show all the new features and updates with V2!

Coming Soon! CTAA NXT V2

17. CorgiGone

CorgiGone

Yay

18. CianNoonan

CianNoonan

That'd be great!

19. AnException

AnException

Hi!
    I would like to ask whether I can use CTAA on Xbox One. Can I use it in a native Xbox game or if the game is packaged as an UWP game?

Thanks!

20. NUKKschocke

NUKKschocke

Hey there, after updating to Unity 2018.4.10f1 from Unity 2018.2.10f1, CTAA has started blurring the picture much stronger than before (even with same settings on CTAA_PC component) to the point that it's very dizzying.

0020-CTAA_1_9-2018_4_10f1-01.png 0020-CTAA_1_9-2018_4_10f1-02.png
    Short clip of the visuals directly after updating to 1.9

I've updated to the newest version (1.9) but the problem persists. I've also tried the "ghosting" workaround of increasing the near clip plane but it only marginally (if at all?) helped. Adjusting the settings also seems to have no effect on the "smearing" effect.

0020-CTAA_1_9-2018_4_10f1-increasedNearClip-01.png 0020-CTAA_1_9-2018_4_10f1-increasedNearClip-02.png
    Short clip of the visuals after increasing the NearClip plane to 25 (from 1) and playing around with the component settings.

Might this have something to do with the PostProcessing stack? There is a PostProcessing component on the same camera but it has all AA disabled. Funny enough, deactivating CTAA and activating PP's temporal anti-aliasing looks very similar to CTAA.

At this, honestly, point I am not 100% sure if I've understood the idea of your asset correctly. Is it by any chance not meant for quick moving games or applications? In my case, a large outdoor scene (one realtime light) can be overviewed with a camera that can move rather fast. The application is used by architects and city planners to pre-visualize a large building project.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  21. keeponshading

keeponshading

When there is a solution for fast camera movements with CTAA i would ne very interested.

22. CianNoonan

CianNoonan

We are using CTAA in a similar view angle. If you have a PostProcessLayer on the camera, make sure that CTAA is after(lower) in the script order on your camera. Also, make sure that the actual PostProcessVolume hasn't changed. It's possible that some of the effects were changed by the upgrade and you now have PPFX that you didn't before.

I've also found that adding some motion blur to the camera can help smooth over many of the artefacts that TAA produces in our use-case. Here are our motion blur settings: upload_2019-10-11_11-33-26.png

This is probably not supported/recommended by Livenda but if you edit the editorscript you can remove the limits on the sliders and use much more extreme values. I found this helpful for debugging the behaviour of the asset in the past. From looking at this forum unless you're able to make it easy for Livenda to replicate and understand your issue you will likely have a bad time trying to get support. I'd recommend you create a test project where you just keep stripping out parts of the game until you have the minimum to replicate that blur. Otherwise, it's going to be impossible to say why it happens.

Good luck working out the issues

23. NUKKschocke

NUKKschocke

Hey CianNoonan, thank you for your input! Much appreciated! :)

Unfortunately, none of the adjustments / tweaks seemed to have any effect on the picture distortions.
    The CTAA component has always been set below the PPS components (as per the documentation) and no additional effects have been added to the volumes.

I made it work for the moment in the overview camera mode by having coupled the near clipping plane distance of the camera to its current height. I basically remap the current height between a min and max value to the near clip plane distance between a min and max value.

24. iltonveiga2708

iltonveiga2708

@LIVENDA_LABS Is it support physical camera now?I find it do not work on 1.6. when the project is playing, the physical camera will not work!
    Hi, Physical camera is not currently enabled, it should be available in the next update. We have received your email and was just about to get back to you. If you wish we can send you the version with physical camera support as soon as it is ready, it is not a hard thing to incorporate so it should not take too long, thanks again

Hi,
    It was posted last Apri-04th.
    I wondering to know if there will be Physical Camera enabled on CTAA actual or future versions.
    Thank you very much.

Ilton

25. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Hello NUKKschocke, After looking at the short video it is obvious the motion vectors are being prevented somehow or something in the scene causing the issue (the previous temporal images are not being re-projected backwards). I am sure it is an easy fix, can you please just send us a cut down project (Please make sure to keep the exact settings) and we will look at it immediately . What is the FPS you are getting without CTAA or Unity TAA? it seems slow... Also make sure to turn-off Anti-shimmer (although this should not cause any problems as you are only moving the camera).

Hi, The next version CTAA NXT V2 is about to be released, currently awaiting approval from Unity as it has been submitted last week. We should have Physical camera support 'hopefully' in the next update of V2 but we need to wait for Unity to implement some features. BTW. Unity Physical camera sets it's own projection-matrix overriding the default, that's why it gets disabled when using other effects. A lot of other effects will not work with physical camera including TAA until unity allows us to copy and reset the previous projections. What we can suggest, since you're trying to 'sync' a 'real life tracked' camera to unity is to do a custom script converting the aperture/ fov to unity standard camera and use that.

Coming Soon! CTAA NXT V2

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  26. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

CTAA NXT V2 ' Cinematic Temporal Anti-Aliasing ' for PC & VR
    RELEASED AND AVAILABLE NOW

UNITY ASSET STORE
    ALL PREVIOUS CUSTOMERS CAN NOW UPGRADE TO V2!

NEXT GENERATION CTAA NXT V2 UPDATES CHANGES and FIXES

- CTAA NXT V2 NEXT GENERATION VERSION is a Major upgrade from the previous version.

- 2 METHODS OF CUSTOM LAYER SELECTION ADDED! You can now Exclude CTAA Temporal Anti-Aliasing from any Object or GUI Elements and it's Easy! When using the new Supersampling addition, custom layer selection script can be used, if not, the default method should be used which is explained in the Documentation Update file.

- Layer Exclusion works for All versions including all VR versions, so it is easy to eg. exclude the GUI elements from CTAA for crisp and clear UI

- All other third-party Post effects such as the Unity Post processing Stack V2 works with layer exclusions

- 2 SUPERSAMPLING Methods, CinaSoft and CinaUltra Added. These can be used together with CTAA at the same time to achieve the Ultimate Anti-Aliasing for very Demanding scenes and true next-gen AAA look.

- CTAA for PC now checks resolution changes automatically and scales all required render targets, eliminating dark outline anomalies and proving a much more robust usage workflow.

- CTAA PC GUI is updated, MSAA can now be controlled from within CTAA UI

- More Demo scenes added for each version for PC and VR outlining the new updates and usage methods.

- More prefabs added for quick start for PC and VR. Prefabs are also available for layer selection setup

- Single Pass VR mode is now Clearer with more accurate motion vectors

UNITY ASSET STORE​

mgear likes this.
  27. talofen

talofen

I'm very happy to hear that after all, you made the right choice and made it a free upgrade for existing customers! Kudos to you!

How do I access the upgrade?
    btw, thank you, I will continue to wait for HDRP support, then I'll surely add it to my project. I can't wait to see how it improves my project!

28. jase66

jase66

Never received email. I bought off your site doing special,

PM'd.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  29. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Sorry, I think you misunderstood, it is $29.95 to upgrade for all previous customers. This is the first major upgrade for CTAA since it's been on the AssetStore for years. This enables us to keep up with the support, stay in business and continue developing CTAA in to the future. Please check your PM, thank you.

Please check your email or PM in the next 24 hours, thanks!

jase66 likes this.
  30. CorgiGone

CorgiGone

Bought off your website too, didnt get an email, and I cannot download the previous one either

31. tspk91

tspk91

Hello, does Unity still not generate motion vectors for vr cameras? I ask because the solution of adding the ctaa dynamic object component affects performance.

32. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

You should get it in the next 24hr's

No, Unity does not provide motion vectors in VR. CTAA implements it's own custom motion vectors in VR and it is the fastest method possible. As soon as Unity implements motion vectors in VR we will include them as well.

==========================================================================================

UNITY ASSET STORE

- CTAA NXT V2 NEXT GENERATION VERSION is a Major upgrade from the previous version.

- 2 METHODS OF CUSTOM LAYER SELECTION ADDED! You can now Exclude CTAA Temporal Anti-Aliasing from any Object or GUI Elements and it's Easy! When using the new Supersampling addition, custom layer selection script can be used, if not, the default method should be used which is explained in the Documentation Update file.

- Layer Exclusion works for All versions including all VR versions, so it is easy to eg. exclude the GUI elements from CTAA for crisp and clear UI

- All other third-party Post effects such as the Unity Post processing Stack V2 works with layer exclusions

- 2 SUPERSAMPLING Methods, CinaSoft and CinaUltra Added. These can be used together with CTAA at the same time to achieve the Ultimate Anti-Aliasing for very Demanding scenes and true next-gen AAA look.

- CTAA for PC now checks resolution changes automatically and scales all required render targets, eliminating dark outline anomalies and proving a much more robust usage workflow.

- More Demo scenes added for each version for PC and VR outlining the new updates and usage methods.

- More prefabs added for quick start for PC and VR. Prefabs are also available for layer selection setup

UNITY ASSET STORE

jase66 and tspk91 like this.
  33. jjejj87

jjejj87

Congratulations on your release!

I think you should really upload some screenshot that compares CTAA1 vs CTAA2.
    There are many descriptions but a screenshot makes way more sense. Also, please update the demos so that people can actually see the difference.

As for me, without HDRP support, I will have to wait.

LIVENDA_LABS likes this.
  34. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

The original version of CTAA never delivered so we're supposed to trust this upgrade will just work? Or should we just wait until CTAA NXT SUPER EDITION for this to actually deliver? Also most of these features were promised for the original version so anyone out there reading this tread lightly with the empty promises from livenda labs.

35. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Yes indeed, we will be doing new videos and screenshots. Upgrading the demos is more important as due to the nature of CTAA I think it's best shown as an executable, thank you again for your recommendations.

Keep it positive please, we have more than 5000 customers who thinks it delivered and delivering and is currently the leading Temporal AA solution for unity on the PC and VR. Keep in mind we are a business and need to at least recover our costs, god forbid we make a little profit :) Or would you rather we just deprecated it and stop developing so everyone else suffers. CTAA NXT V2 is the future and we are looking forward to improving it as long as we can.

=========================================================================================

UNITY ASSET STORE

UNITY ASSET STORE

36. CorgiGone

CorgiGone

Hey I can't blame you, technically you used "should" ahahh. this is getting comical.

DATE : SEPTEMBER 11TH
    DATE: SEPTEMBER 27TH
    DATE: OCTOBER 17TH
    DATE: OCTOBER 21ST
    STILL NOTHING
    And guess what it's "only" 70€ on the unity store now ! I would've waited and bought it on the unity store if only i had KNEW.
    No I paid 36,60 € for the "NEW CTAA XT (EXTREME EDITION)" so their representative could tell me to wait every week for the next week.
    Oh this bodes very well for the future, if I have to wait 2months EVERY UPDATE for the SUPER EXTREME SPECIAL BULLSHIT EDITION to be sent to me by mail instead of just having to update via Unity Editor...
    If only there was any other decent TAA for VR around...

37. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Stop making up BS, check your e-mail, the voucher code to download has already been emailed. You have purchased XT version direct from our website and CTAA NXT V2 has just become available on the Asset Store. Also, there is no way to send you a PM. If you still have not received it please contact us and we will be happy to send it to you, cheers!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  38. CorgiGone

CorgiGone

Oh I checked my email alright. Spam et Bin too. nothing.
    And i'm not making any of this up. You can check the forums all your replies are still here.
    I'll PM you my mail so you can check.

39. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Please check your PM, voucher code sent again, thanks.

=========================================================================================

UNITY ASSET STORE

UNITY ASSET STORE

keeponshading likes this.
  40. TheFallenOne222

TheFallenOne222

Is there any avenue for a free upgrade for those of us that purchased the original under the assumption that UI layer exclusion would be included in it, and it never was?

I can appreciate needing to charge a fee for major upgrades, but at the moment, I feel like I still haven't received the product I had originally purchased, as per this post.

The rest of the features I can see having an upgrade cost for, but the product has been unusable for us since purchase because we needed UI layer exclusion, and as I quoted in that post I linked, it was promised (not "we will try" or "maybe", it was "it has already been added and is in the next version") a year ago, long before this update.

41. keeponshading

keeponshading

That s an good read. How you solved the custom layer selection? Are objects on this layer jittered the same way like the TAA ones?

42. iveiga

iveiga

Hi, The next version CTAA NXT V2 is about to be released, currently awaiting approval from Unity as it has been submitted last week. We should have Physical camera support 'hopefully' in the next update of V2 but we need to wait for Unity to implement some features. BTW. Unity Physical camera sets it's own projection-matrix overriding the default, that's why it gets disabled when using other effects. A lot of other effects will not work with physical camera including TAA until unity allows us to copy and reset the previous projections. What we can suggest, since you're trying to 'sync' a 'real life tracked' camera to unity is to do a custom script converting the aperture/ fov to unity standard camera and use that.

Hi, i have already fixed the physical camera issues using CTAA.
    I bought new NXT V2, it worked fine on my projects. By now, I am waiting for HDRP support.

43. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Please check your PM

Hi, No they are not jittered, when you enable SuperSampling we also render a separate 'Mask' texture for all objects / GUI for composing with CTAA enabled scene. That's why there are two modes/ options for layer selection.

Thanks fantastic!

UNITY ASSET STORE

TAKE THE nXT STEP

ALL PREVIOUS CUSTOMERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO UPGRADE TO RECEIVE FUTURE UPDATES / ENHANCEMENTS/ FIXES​

UNITY ASSET STORE

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  44. keeponshading

keeponshading

My questions was about the TAA mode CTAA_PC.
    The method you describe here is the same i did in the CTAA version before.

The problem was that booth cameras need the CTAA_PCC because both cameras need same jitter movement.
    Otherwise the Object/s or GUI excluded on second cam had have a pixel border because not jittered.
    Is this still the case?

METHOD 1 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Any Object/s or GUI can be excluded from CTAA with zero impact on performance. Parent the main camera to a gameobject and dublicate this camera (The dublicated camera is also the child of the gameobject)

Then on the dublicated camera select the Clear Flag to ' Don't Clear ' and in it's culling mask only select the objects to be excluded from CTAA and set the camera Depth to a value higher then the Main cameras Depth value.

Then on the main camera Un-select the layers to be excluded from the culling mask.

POST EFFECTS such as Unity PPV2 can be added to the Main Camera, make sure CTAA script is placed After the PPV2 and Direct to Camera is switched Off

45. iceb_

iceb_

hey Just wonder, is LWRP currently supported yet in CTAA v2, and if not, when is it expected to? Thanks!

46. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi, some more detailed description.....

"Any Object/s or GUI can be excluded from CTAA with zero impact on performance. "
    This is not working for me with METHOD 1.

"Parent the main camera to a gameobject and dublicate this camera (The dublicated camera is also the child of the gameobject)"
    Done. Works already in V1.9

"Then on the dublicated camera select the Clear Flag to ' Don't Clear ' "

"and in it's culling mask only select the objects to be excluded from CTAA"

"and set the camera Depth to a value higher then the Main cameras Depth value."
    Main Camera -1
    Main Camera UI and objects 0

"Then on the main camera Un-select the layers to be excluded from the culling mask."

"POST EFFECTS such as Unity PPV2 can be added to the Main Camera,"

"make sure CTAA script is placed After the PPV2 and Direct to Camera is switched Off"

This complete workflow is working in 1.9 the same way.

The problem is that the objects wo should be excluded have a flicker border because they are not jittered like the object who are rendered from the main camera.

Could you please explain what you have changed technically and which
    new part of your implementation should avoid the flickering border from not jittered objects on second camera.
    The complete workflow has same behaviour in V1.9 and V2.0.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  47. ldlework

ldlework

Hello, is there any information on whether this works for Oculus Quest yet....?

48. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

No time frame at this stage, we are looking at URP and HDRP. Don't forget motion vectors are required for any temporal process which is not available in URP at this stage. There are many many issues with custom postfx currently in either pipeline due to lack of support, lack of documentation and consatant changes by Unity, this is a major issue being discussed by almost every other developer in the Asset Store puplishers forum.

It best if you contact us directly via e-mail, as we are not experiencing the issue you mention. Don't forget, if you exclude any object or GUI element it will NOT have any anti-aliasing, which is the main point. With CTAA V2, we also have a method to exclude layers when 'SuperSampling' is enabled. Please contact us directly so we can help you further, thank you.

We are currently working on this right now and 'hopefully' should have something soon.

UNITY ASSET STORE

HAVE YOUTAKEN THE nXT STEP?

ALL PREVIOUS CUSTOMERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO UPGRADE TO RECEIVE FUTURE UPDATES / ENHANCEMENTS/ FIXES​

UNITY ASSET STORE

49. Effekt-Etage

Effekt-Etage

Does CTAA V2 work in VR with the Unity Post Processing V2 stack? Currently testing it in multiple configurations (both single- and multi-pass) but running into problems (visual distortion in the HMDs). Testing on a Vive Pro and a HP Reverb.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  50. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

CTAA NXT V2 works perfectly in VR together with PPV2 and has been thoroughly tested by us and many of our users. Can you please contact us directly together with more information such as Unity version/ render pipeline also a small project file is you can and I'm sure we can help out ASAP to get you going, thanks again.