Search Unity

Question Using Unet in 2021

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by Boomboyag, May 20, 2021.

1. Boomboyag

Boomboyag

Hi! I’ve recently begun my multiplayer coding journey using the new MLAPI. However, as of right now, that system doesn’t seem the best to work with. After looking online, I came across Unet. After watching a few tutorials, I developed a liking towards the system. I know that it will soon be removed, but is it still worth using? Unity has said that they will help people transition from Unet to MLAPI. I just want to know this now instead of halfway down the road. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. JoNax97

JoNax97

No, it's not a good idea to invest into UNET today.
    If you don't click with MLAPI, vive Mirror a try. It's a maintained and updated version of UNET, so you might find it more suitable.

luke-unity likes this.
  3. Boomboyag

Boomboyag

Ok. Thank you!

4. luke-unity

luke-unity

Can I ask which parts of MLAPI where hard to work with?

5. Boomboyag

Boomboyag

I think that it’s lack of features may be its downside. Of course, this is to be expected, seeing as it was only officially released a few months ago. Compared to other networking solutions such as Mirror and Photon, it really doesn’t seem to hold up as of right now. MLAPI also doesn’t have many tutorials online, but this can, again, be an effect of its new release. I often found myself struggling with the API website, but I think that was largely due to my inexperience with c#. All in all, I think it’s best to wait a few months for MLAPI to mature and develop new features and tutorials. It’s also best if I build up knowledge in singleplayer coding (Learning the more complex areas of c# and all of that) before moving on to multiplayer.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  6. luke-unity

luke-unity

Thanks, this kind of feedback is really useful to us. Any specific features which were missing for you?

7. Boomboyag

Boomboyag

I think one of the bigger ones was the lack of syncing animation overrides. I didn’t know how useful they were until I couldn’t use them!

luke-unity likes this.