Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Using animations from different rigs / avatar for one model

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Craze74, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Craze74

Craze74

Hello Everyone !

I searched before about retargeting animation inside unity, and watched animation and avatar tutorials, but it seems that I can't catch what is my issue.

I have one rigged character, I imported some mixamo animations on it without any issues, but now I bought another animation pack from the asset store, using a different rig Structure hierarchy I guess.

This is how I was doing : I import the new animation I would like to apply to my character, I will "Copy From Other Avatar" in the rig Tab and point to the avatar I am already using with the mixamo animations.
    But when I do that, it says there is a mismatch transform Hierarchy, "Transform Hips for human bone Hips not found", Which I think is because the rig that the new animation is on has a different structure / names than the one in place ( both rigs are humanoids ).

So My question would be, what am I doing wrong ? Do I absolutely need 100 % the rigs to match to have animation from different sources to work ? I thought retargetting process was made for that specific issue.

Thank you !

Ali_V_Quest likes this.
  2. Olmi

Olmi

Hi @Craze74

Well, one hacky way (or a way, depending on how you want to see it) is to export a working rigged character for your animation set from another source. Then create one avatar for that source. You can do that easily with Mixamo. Then you can have your animations imported ok. Make an avatar from one animation in your set and use that same avatar for all other animations that are exported with same settings from Mixamo. But whatever animation pack you bought, you probably managed to load in the animations to some character? Just make an avatar from that and then use it for all the animations for that source. You do end up with a few different avatars but that's not really a big deal in my opinion.

But in any case I'd sooner or later import the data to some animation app and export all the anims with same skeleton etc. It's most likely that the animations will not work as-is anyway in the final product.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  3. wetcircuit

wetcircuit