Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Use Animator as seperate State Machine Node Editor

Discussion in 'Animation' started by OlliQueck, Apr 12, 2016.

1. OlliQueck

OlliQueck

I recently started programming AI for my master thesis game. After some time of development i already got thousands of lines of code and a lot of different integer's holding multiple states. All this works fine but is very complex and hard to handle. Especially when i add more states, more animations, more attacks etc. When something goes wrong i never reallly know where the AI got stuck.
    My idea now is to use an extra animator on my characters to control the states like with a node editor. My project will be using UNET so i need to handle AI and animations seperatly. Will this cause problems or performance drops(mobile) when i use a second animator(with no avatar attatched) on my characters to control the AI inside my Javascripts? Some1 has a alternative? Some kind of AI Finite State Machine Node Visualization would be great...

Cheers

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

When Unity 5.0 exposed state machine behaviours, Pierre Paul Giroux made a blog post Having fun with the new Mecanim features that talked about using Mecanim state machines for non-animation purposes. The examples were a music state machine and a menu state machine, but you could also use it for AI. It provides a nice, consistent interface and parameter-based transitions. It's pretty efficient if you follow the same caveats as animation state machines: don't go crazy with the number of transitions from Any State, and the number of transitions from any particular state in general.

3. Baste

Baste

There's some drawbacks to using the Animator as a generalized state machine system. In particular, you have to set transition time to 0 in all transitions, and if you forget to, things will break bad. OnStateUpdate can be called after OnStateExit, and before OnStateEnter if there's a transition going on. The sub state machine messages also makes no sense whatsoever, and are useless.

A better choice is probably to find a dedicated framework for nodes that doesn't have a bunch of animator-specific features attached to it. It's not that using the Animator doesn't work - we're running our AI state machine on it - but you really want a framework where you're in control of exactly when transitions happen, which the Animator doesn't provide.