Search Unity

URP - Limited number of pixel lights, why ?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by xDenny8, Jan 29, 2021.

1. xDenny8

xDenny8

Hello,

I am making shooter similar to doom/quake/unreal tournament and I just decided to add point light to my projectiles just to make it prettier. And as expected, I reached the limit of 8 pixel lights very fast.

upload_2021-1-29_20-21-5.png

If you look at Unreal Tournament (game from 1999), then you can see that projectiles were emiting light. And since its multiplayer game, there could be hundreds of those lights and the game had no problems at all.

upload_2021-1-29_20-31-22.png
    upload_2021-1-29_20-31-49.png

Now, over 20 years later I am limited by 8 real time lights which I really don't understand as my knowledge about rendering is very basic.

So could someone please explain to me why is that ? Maybe these are not actual lights but just some kind of a "fake" lights since it has to be very performant ?? But since it actually enlightens dark areas I am very confused..

I am using URP with forward rendering and I would love to achieve similar effect without being limited to 8 lights.

Thank you very much for answers.

2. xgonzal2

xgonzal2

In URP's defense UT wasn't doing PBR and I think I remember it mostly used vertex lighting instead of pixel lights. However, you are totally right about the light limit being too low. They should at least make that configurable for the forward renderer.

That said I don't think the light limit will really change anytime soon unless their deferred renderer doesn't share that limitation. For the forward renderer to scale well they would need to do something like tiled forward or cluster shading instead of the brute force loop they do at this point. I also don't recall URP being able to mix vertex and pixel lighting either like built-in can do once you have too many pixel lights. So at this point if the deferred renderer can't get around this then I don't think you can do anything about it with vanilla URP.

3. Jonas-Mortensen

Jonas-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

Hey!
    For many small lights (like in your example) it definitely makes sense to use deferred rendering.
    This is soon to be released for URP. Actually you can try it out on the Unity-Technologies/Graphics master branch right now if you'd like.
    This gif running the deferred renderer hopefully shows that what you want is possible:
    DeferredBattle.gif

Hzzzzzppl, akareactor, cxode and 21 others like this.
  4. Bosozuki

Bosozuki

That is such a tease! Cant wait to experiment

Gekigengar likes this.
  5. xDenny8

xDenny8

thank you guys.. so I'll be looking forward to deferred renderer. Hopefuly its very close to release :)

Gekigengar likes this.
  6. adamgolden

adamgolden

Hi @Jonas-Mortensen - I've upgraded my 2021.1 project to URP 12 from Master.
    I tried to create a new Deferred Renderer Data to assign to a URP Asset's Renderer List, but when I click Create->Rendering->Universal Rendering Pipeline-> it only lists Forward Renderer. Is that because there's no such thing as Deferred Renderer Data and we're just supposed to use Forward Renderer Data asset? If I just switch to Deferred Lighting in that I get warnings in the URP Asset about both OpenGLES2 and OpenGLES3 not being supported. Does this mean WebGL isn't capable of it? Which Graphics APIs are supported (or will be)? Thanks !

7. nigeljw_unity

nigeljw_unity

Unity Technologies

We also have a forward+ renderer in progress, which is adding a novel form of light tiling to our existing forward renderer. This will allow you to go well beyond the 8 light per object limit with the forward renderer without the inherent limitations of deferred rendering (deferred renderers do not support msaa and we also need to fallback to the forward renderer for transparent complex lit materials):
    https://portal.productboard.com/unity/1-unity-graphics/c/261-forward-renderer-support

The reason there is currently an 8 light limit per object is because of performance considerations. Ideally, light data should fit entirely into constant buffers, because they are consistently fast universally across all platforms, whereas structured buffers are a lot slower on a lot of platforms. Without tiled/clustered lighting, there is a per object classification for the forward renderer, as we need to loop over all lights over all objects O(num_objects*num_lights), but with forward+, the performance will only be relative to the number of visible lights within each tile.

We are considering making the light limit configurable, but this would require us to use the slow structured buffer path, which will potentially keep your games from being able to run on lower tier hardware. We are making URP as fast as possible across all hardware, but every new feature requested adds complexity to the existing renderer, so we are working very closely with all hardware vendors to define a universal fast path.

vlery, andybak, Zelgadis87 and 11 others like this.
  8. xgonzal2

xgonzal2

We just recently finished our own version of a cluster shading forward renderer in URP and I can say it has been invaluable to have. We don't have to worry about old devices so I think the work was much simpler but this is something you guys should have in the near future. I look forward to it!

nigeljw_unity likes this.
  9. Bosozuki

Bosozuki

Awesome!

Curious will you guys do a forum/blog/documentation post going into details about the deferred, forward+, and original URP forward?

charleshendry and adamgolden like this.
  10. nigeljw_unity

nigeljw_unity

Unity Technologies

11. adamgolden

adamgolden

Cool - thanks :)

12. BobFlame

BobFlame

To enable deferred renderer in project, after adding packages to local package folder, you need to add Scripting Define Symble "ENABLE_RENDERING_PATH_UI" in project settings player. After that rendering mode will appear in Forward Renderer Data's UI, and there you go.

cultureulterior likes this.
  13. adamgolden

adamgolden

enable_deferred_lighting_for_urp_12.jpg

It's now available to select - thanks! I'll see if I can get the unlimited-ish point lights feature running in my project this weekend for a glance at compatibility/performance implications. I might have to wait on Forward+ but it's worth a look either way. WebGL 2.0 is currently my baseline platform and I haven't heard back yet from @nigeljw_unity :D

Evil-Twin and laurentlavigne like this.
  14. XRA

XRA

great news on Forward+ that's really beneficial for stylized projects that can't rely on the deferred gbuffer but want more lights.
    Is there a specific branch on the graphics github or is it still early compared to Deferred?

leslviv likes this.
  15. Casual909

Casual909

Did you get the unlimited point lights to work? I did choose the deferred option but it actually did not change anything. Did you follow a specific step that I missed? It still just turns on 8 lights a time.

lucasjohansson likes this.
  16. adamgolden

adamgolden

It's not compatible with WebGL.. I got as far into trying as seeing the warnings.

I didn't actually realize this was the reason I could pick up to 8 lights now though, just figured that was a recent change I hadn't noticed :rolleyes:

17. Casual909

Casual909

I am not using WebGL. Does the function for you work without?

adamgolden likes this.
  18. adamgolden

adamgolden

I just confirmed it's working in Windows 10:
    50_realtime_point_lights.jpg
    50_realtime_point_lights_2.jpg

Instructions..

- create new URP template project (I'm using 2021.2.0a9)
    - in Hierarchy, delete everything except "Main Camera" and "Post-process Volume"
    - add the ENABLE_RENDERING_PATH_UI thing noted above
    - change Lighting to Deferred (select ForwardRenderer in Project window)
    - create a new 3d object->plane
    - drag the 'Ground_Mat' material from Project window onto it
    - add the DeferredPointLightsTest component to it
    - enter play mode
    - during play mode, select the Plane with the component, then in the Inspector,
    - drag/change the number of lights and animation shape

DeferredPointLightsTest.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // @polemical, Unity Forum
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class DeferredPointLightsTest : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.   public float animationShape = 1;
    6.   public int numberOfLights = 50;
    7.   private int prevNumberOfLights = 0;
    8.   public Vector3 offset = new Vector3(-5, 0.2f, 0);
    9.   public Vector3 spread = new Vector3(10, 0, 0);
    11.   private GameObject[] instances;
    13.   private Vector3[] instanceOrigins;
    14.   private void Start()
    15.   {
    16.     Regenerate();
    17.     prevNumberOfLights = numberOfLights;
    18.   }
    19.   private void Regenerate()
    20.   {
    21.     Clear();
    22.     numberOfLights = Mathf.Clamp(numberOfLights, 1, 50);
    23.     Vector3 instanceStep = spread / numberOfLights;
    24.     Vector3 instanceCenterOffset = instanceStep * 0.5f;
    26.     GameObject prefab = new GameObject();
    27.     Light light = prefab.AddComponent<Light>();
    28.     light.type = LightType.Point;
    29.     light.intensity = 1;
    31.     instances = new GameObject[numberOfLights];
    32.     instanceOrigins = new Vector3[numberOfLights];
    33.     for (int i = 0; i < numberOfLights; i++)
    34.     {
    35.       instanceOrigins[i] = offset + instanceCenterOffset + (instanceStep * i);
    36.       instances[i] = Instantiate(prefab, transform);
    37.       instances[i].GetComponent<Light>().color = GetRandomLightColor();
    38.       instances[i].transform.localPosition = instanceOrigins[i];
    39.       instances[i].name = (i + 1).ToString();
    40.     }
    41.     prevNumberOfLights = numberOfLights;
    42.     Destroy(prefab);
    43.   }
    44.   private void Update()
    45.   {
    46.     if (prevNumberOfLights != numberOfLights) Regenerate();
    47.     if (instances == null) return;
    48.     for (int i = 0; i < instances.Length; i++)
    49.     {
    50.       instances[i].transform.localPosition = instanceOrigins[i] + new Vector3(
    51.         0, 0, Mathf.Sin((Time.time + (i * 100)) * animationShape)
    52.       );
    53.     }
    54.   }
    55.   private void Clear()
    56.   {
    57.     if (instances != null)
    58.     {
    59.       for (int i = 0; i < instances.Length; i++)
    60.       {
    61.         Destroy(instances[i]);
    62.       }
    63.       instances = null;
    64.     }
    65.   }
    66.   private Color GetRandomLightColor()
    67.   {
    68.     return new Color(
    69.       Random.Range(0.5f, 1.0f),
    70.       Random.Range(0.5f, 1.0f),
    71.       Random.Range(0.5f, 1.0f)
    72.     );
    73.   }
    74.   private void OnDestroy()
    75.   {
    76.     Clear();
    77.   }
    78. }
    :)

XthemeCore likes this.
  19. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

I think URP has an 8 lights limit on the number of lights in front of the camera
    Why do you need more than 8 lights in front of the camera at the same time durin play mode ?
    The lights are generally fixed and use a light shaft and projector for real-time light simulation in other multiplayer players...
    The difference between a projector and real light is in casting shadows
    The use of too many lights is a sign of weakness in the design

20. adamgolden

adamgolden

21. xDenny8

xDenny8

Apparently URP does not support projector. "URP is not compatible with the Projector component. URP does not currently include an alternative solution."

22. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

There is no logical reason to use URP

Built_in pipeline with lowest preset (plus some limitations)= URP

23. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

This is just the projector solution showcase
    For URP you must find compatible projector
    The performance is maxed out:
    If you want maxed our performance, you must use shaft (flare) textures as bloom effect
    1.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg

24. Zelgadis87

Zelgadis87

I'm having the same problem with the maximum amount of ligthing on my scene. I'm developing a top down twin stick shooter in URP, and wanted to put a simple point light on my projectiles. It works perfectly fine on walls / obstacles, but I'm having problems for the ground, which is giant plane, the size of the whole screen. With 4 moving spotlights on the scene and more than 4 projectiles flying around (basically always), some of the lights suddenly turn off, ruining the whole scene. I have the same problem on my UI (again, a single plane), as there are could be more than 8 lights at once (with no shadows). I don't think there would be any performance problems, as the number of vertexes is particularly low (a plane).

I have no prior experience with rendering and lightning. What would you suggest it to be the best approach?
    Splitting the plane in multiple objects? Sounds a bit ugly and harder to maintain, and I have no guarantees that there will be less than 8 lights on any place at any given time.
    Switching to deferred renderer? I have no idea what the implications would be, especially since it is not yet ufficially released. Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks in advance!

25. XRA

XRA

game engines are in year 2021 now, not 2006

SuspecM likes this.
  26. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

We are talking about the low-end platform / pipeline
    No mobile can still render real-time light at high frames
    URP is built to apply the same limitations to have safe performance on low-end platforms
    Low-end platforms are not built for real-time lighting

XthemeCore likes this.
  27. sinaari

sinaari

Is it known, will this Deferred Renderer for URP work on mobile devices so that I'd be able to have a few dynamic lights in my game without it dropping FPS down to the floor?

28. ratking

ratking

Trying the URP deferred renderer with Unity 2021.1.2f1 and URP 11.0.0 and everything is becoming grey. Anybody else has that too?

29. o-san

o-san

FYI. If you are relying on the new SSAO render feature the deferred lighting path will currently break that (2021.1.5f1)

30. nigeljw_unity

nigeljw_unity

Unity Technologies

@polemical WebGL 2.0 is an important platform for URP. We can't confirm support for the forward+ feature on specific platforms until it has undergone proper validation. As soon as I can give you an official response on this, this will be the first place I post it. Our initial focus for forward+ is broad platform support without the limitations of deferred. Thanks for your awesome feedback on using deferred in the alpha release. I will share the documentation for deferred as soon as it is live. Unfortunately, there is no support for deferred rendering for WebGL at this point.

@sinaari Deferred rendering inherently has several hard limitations such as incompatibility with both msaa and transparents, and also heavy bandwidth usage without additional renderpass optimizations, so the current implementation of deferred is not well suited for mobile platforms, though immediate mode platforms should perform well using deferred with many lights (but still with the hard limitations).

@XRA both deferred and forward+ are in progress. As soon as an alpha release is available with the initial forward+ implementation, I will post it here.

@xDenny8 Decal projector support is in progress:
    https://portal.productboard.com/unity/1-unity-platform-rendering-visual-effects/c/33-decals

@o-san the fixes for SSAO with deferred have already landed in the 2021.2 alpha release. If you see any remaining issues, can you submit an official support request? This helps us prioritize the issues a lot. https://issuetracker.unity3d.com

31. iDerp69

iDerp69

I successfully turned on deferred in a test version of my project... is there a way to get point lights to allow objects to cast real time shadows on other objects?

32. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

Hi is this coming to, or compatible with 2020 LTS?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    charleshendry likes this.
  33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hoping speed wins out, since if people want more, the deferred renderer is still available. But Forward+ with non configurable sounds perfect for real developers who want the fastest performing compromise...

I don't need lots of options, I need lots of speed :)

nigeljw_unity likes this.
  34. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

Oh, I did not know deferred is slower than forward.

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Deferred is faster than forward if forward has to deal with a lot of lights. But if you have a set amount and want MSAA which is also faster than FXAA and other antialiasing solutions on mobile etc, you would want forward+ a whole lot. VR for example will be considerably better under forward+ if lots of lights are your thing.

36. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

Thanks for the info! I am on a VR project and I hope this comes to 2021 LTS (URP 10) also.

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I have similar circumstances. URP has only recently began to step up with VR quality and engineering in Unity, but it seems to be ongoing so I hope the staff will feel encouraged to work on this knowing it's very much appreciated by us here.

38. Ologon

Ologon

Is there any approximate ETA for the forward plus renderer? (E.g. can we expect it to release this year?)

39. sabojako

sabojako

@nigeljw_unity
    1. I noticed that Tiled Deferred (Deferred+) was half-removed (missing TiledDeferred shaders) in later versions of URP. Is there plan to bring it back?

2. Are you guys considering adding an optional GPU version of Forward+/Deferred+ ? Some platforms with low CPU core count are struggling with the current CPU light binning (even with Jobs enabled) and a GPU Compute version could help them.

3. The CPU performance cost of Deferred is much higher than Forward on platforms with low CPU core count. Are you considering adding an optional version of Deferred where Lights are GPU instanced to reduce the number of drawcalls? Instead of using Stencil pass before each light, a shader clip() could do.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  40. nigeljw_unity

nigeljw_unity

Unity Technologies

@Ologon Sorry for the delay in response. We will do a forum post soon to describe how to use the new experimental forward+ implementation. The core developer for the feature is on a well deserved vacation, so we are just waiting for them to get back before posting more information. There are also some bug fixes and improvements in flight that we need to land.

@sabojako The partial tiled deferred implementation was removed to allow for for a clean slate to implement forward+. We need a proper cross platform render pass solution for a fast and power efficient tiled deferred implementation, but there is a lot of complexity there, as a simple soultion using frambuffer fetch, invalidate framebuffer, and multiple render targets is not ideal (and not explicit enough), and we need a cross platform and cross api pixel local storage style extension from the IHV and API groups. Instead, for 2021.2, we are focused on exposing experimental support for forward+ using a custom state of the art CPU based approach initially that is fully cross platform (in terms of stability, determinism, and performance), which still needs extensive profiling across platforms and also user feedback. We are investigating GPU based approaches for both forward and defferred internally, but we have not converged on specific methods yet (that are efficient across platforms and across api), though if you are looking to bring performance to the next level, then I suggest to look into our Hybrid Renderer architecture (a system which does conversion of gameobjects into DOTS ECS subscenes for a hyper efficient data layout for GPU consumption by the SRPs which heavily leverages GPU instancing), which is actually the primary focus of my own team (though I personally spend most of my own individual development time in the backend of the SRPs). If you want to know more about the Hybrid Renderer architecture, I suggest reading through the presentations shared here (and also see the documentation):
    http://enginearchitecture.realtimerendering.com/2021_course
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.rendering.hybrid@0.11/manual/index.html.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hows forward+ stack up against forward for switch etc? At what point does one become better? Thanks for any insights!

42. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

43. nigeljw_unity

nigeljw_unity

Unity Technologies

@hippocoder We still need to profile on switch and a couple other platforms, but it is pretty easy to hit the computational limit of our traditional forward renderer, which is why there is an 8 light limit at the moment, so forward+ should be a pretty general performance improvement across platforms for most games. It really depends on scene complexity, since as the number of objects and lights increase, it significantly increases the computational cost of the per object classification of the traditional forward renderer. One big thing that forward+ helps with is extremely large objects like terrain, as large objects will potentially intersect the light space of a lot of lights. There will still be an upper limit in terms of the number of lights that can affect an object with forward+, but it will be much higher than 8.

hippocoder likes this.
  44. nigeljw_unity

nigeljw_unity

Unity Technologies

@sabojako Just to add some further feedback from internal discussions in regards to the existing stencil deferred, it is a bit of a trade-off with using clip to mask shaded pixels using stencil, as that will significantly increase GPU usage. Instanced draw calls would require render state changes between draw calls, which call roll the context. I agree using clip would be a good improvement, but ideally, we would also like to reduce the current CPU overhead in other ways, and moving everything to the GPU is not always a win, especially on platforms that do not support asynchronous compute.

45. sabojako

sabojako

@nigeljw_unity Thanks for getting back! It's good to hear that you are exploring GPU-based solutions. Having multiple options is great for fine-tuning.

Sadly I have already tested the Hybrid Renderer v2 in URP but quickly found the CPU overhead of it to be too much, since our game is already CPU bottlenecked by the Rendering on the target platform.

Not sure I follow this point. Why? The point of using Instancing would be to avoid render state changes, no? AFAIK, drawing multiple lights of the same LightType shouldn't require a render state change between each light draw (we are talking about the solution of instancing and no stencil pass for traditional deferred).

Can you talk a bit more about those other ways? I wonder if there are ideas which we could preemptively implement in our own codebase.

JesOb likes this.
  46. WellMOR_Q

WellMOR_Q

Hi there!

@nigeljw_unity, is there any news about forward+ implementation?

DMeville, joshcamas and Shaderic like this.
  47. Hamu_Art

Hamu_Art

Hi

In Unity, the Forward rendering can currently have 8 lights per vertex. My question would be whether this number can be increased because I don't see why it makes sense to take the management of this out of the hands of the developers.
    Deferred render is forgettable on Oculus, but you could easily have more than 8 lights in the vertex shader, after all, it's not 2001.
    If someone asks why so many lamps, my answer is that it would come in handy in a lot of situations.
    Is it possible to change this limitation, or will it be possible in the near future?

48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Forward+ has no limits to worry about, that is a tiled approach instead. I would recommend you wait for that, and if it is still insufficient, you should calculate simple lights in the shader (I did 16 lights per object on my old 2011 iPhone project). They can be super simple such as distance + dot product.

49. Hamu_Art

Hamu_Art

Thank you for your information!

50. benjmitch

benjmitch

2021.2.2f1 and URP 12.1.1 (I can't upgrade to 2021.2.8f1 because of an outstanding show-stopper bug, but I've tested the results below on that as well as on 2022.1.0b4 / URP 13 and they stand in both cases).

I'm having lights flicking on and off in my project, so I went to investigate the impact of Graphics API and platform. On WIndows, 576 spotlights render just fine over a terrain object (with some minor artefacts in edit mode). On Linux Vulkan, 576 spotlights render with the same artefacts in edit and play mode. On Linux OpenGL, it looks limited to 8 lights per object (small terrain square) and perhaps 32 lights in all.

Yet the documentation says that I can expect a limit of 256 lights per camera and 8 per object. The page on the deferred renderer does not talk about any changes to that, such as allowing unlimited lights, which appears to be the case here, except for OpenGL. I still get a 'lights per object' slider in Linux Vulkan, and it appears to do nothing, which adds to my uncertainty.

Is the documentation innacurate or am I understanding it wrong? Is this a reflection of things being in a state of flux right now? If the latter, where is the most current information being posted, please, or do I just have to wing it for now? Linux / Vulkan / URP is a great configuration for me, if I could just pin down these dashed flickering lights...

Thanks!