Search Unity

Third Party Updating Room list with Webservice [Photon Cloud]

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Quaker_SDR, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Quaker_SDR

Quaker_SDR

I am using photon cloud, I have a lobby with a roomlist in the game, but once i join the room still i need to update the other room details, Which is not possible from photon. so i am using webservices for that updating the rooms list in the interval of every 5 secs. I believe its not a good way to proceed. Any one got anyother better idea?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. tobiass

tobiass

Can you explain what you want the room list for?
    Maybe there's an alternative way?.

3. Quaker_SDR

Quaker_SDR

@tobiass Hi, In my game we show limited rooms at a time in a lobby, The user can join any room or create one of his own. But the sametime, We need to show who is joining other rooms and status of otherrooms too. So users can move to other rooms if they wanted to.

4. Quaker_SDR

Quaker_SDR

Is it possible to make two peer connections to the Photon cloud. One for joining room and one for checking the lobby Room details? Is it doable with the photonnetwork?

5. tobiass

tobiass

PUN is not built to allow you multiple connections from one app. It will be some work to get this done.
    I can give you some guidance but don't have samples or such.

Take a look at the LoadBalancing API from our Photon Unity SDK.
    Get it here: https://www.photonengine.com/realtime/Download

You could use a LoadBalancingClient, to connect and join the lobby. This provides you with the list of rooms.
    The "big" trouble is to make the LoadBalancingClient run along with PUN. It uses similar classes, etc. Some might clash.
    The Photon3Unity3d.dll used in LoadBalancing is the same as in PUN, so you can keep the one from PUN when you add LBC to your PUN project.

Hope that gives you an idea how to start.