Search Unity

Official Universal RP Status

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by erikabar, Feb 11, 2020.

1. quixotic

quixotic

Administrator

It's more HDRP team has had it in their backlog of items to do and Universal RP team hasn't yet. But that is a good point about built-in parity, just added an item for it.

kinigeugfrwib and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  2. BonneCW

BonneCW

Is there an ETA for reflection probe blending? I guess it's part of the box projection, would really like to have it in URP.

kinigeugfrwib likes this.
  3. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

hi guys,

does URP 8.0.1 [unity 2020.1.x] working with Hybrid Renderer 2 [v 0.4] or have to waiting for URP 9.x ??

4. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

neoshaman and Davood_Kharmanzar like this.
  5. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

6. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

neoshaman likes this.
  7. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Heyhey,
    We've been working on this recently and were ready to ship it in the next release. But we discovered a bug in the SRP Batcher which needs to be taken care of first and then we're ready.

We hope to be able get it in 2019.4 but I can't promise. In worst case it will be in 2020.1.

AlejUb likes this.
  8. AndyHan1001

AndyHan1001

Do you have finished the documentation work?I try to figure out more details (like every single property of the newly created render object in Renderer Features list) about forward renderer launched with URP,but find nothing.

9. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

We are actively working on improving our documentation and we just recently hired a technical writer dedicated to URP.

Maybe I can try to help you with what you need. What exactly are you searching for?

10. valarnur

valarnur

From a changelog of 7.3, camera stacking is added when using the Forward Renderer.

11. AndyHan1001

AndyHan1001

I am confused about “material index” property of RendererObjects,what is the meaning of this property as well as its use case. Another confusing property is “Name” list of “Passes” property of RendererObjects which can be added to the “Renderer Features” list of Forward Renderer by the Inspector panel.

12. jjxtra

jjxtra

URP 7.3.1 appears to have changed when and how depth and screen space shadow textures are done, any guidance on this?

13. adrian-taylor09

adrian-taylor09

Quick question: I see that
    ScriptableRendererFeature.SetActive(bool)
    has been added. I'm able to toggle renderer features in the editor, can someone provide an example of how to toggle these in code? I'm not sure how to get a reference to the renderer features on the active render pipeline

14. Conferno

Conferno

Hey guys, what about custom post-processing effects? When its function will be done?
    How can we port custom bloom effects to URP?

15. Modafuka

Modafuka

From the beginning i thought that shader graph is good but after learning more about shader code i realized that it suck. By the way, is there any official intellisense for shader code available out there.

16. Conferno

Conferno

Have you tried shader forge? Maybe it can be better for you

Edited: sorry I mean amplify shader editor

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  17. Modafuka

Modafuka

Thanks, i ll check it later.

18. DennisGregs

DennisGregs

ShaderGraph doesn't suck at all, it just needs some improvements to be more reliable, because right now it is glitchy, and also I don't see why it doesn't have support grabbing a light on a shader level without custom HLSL. However, if you've ever written shaders you will know that debugging them is a pain, but ShaderGraph has a built in visualizer which makes debugging extremely easy. So unless you want to do something really specific that ShaderGraph doesn't support, and by the sounds of it, you are new to shaders, so you probably don't, I would stick to ShaderGraph, it doesn't sound like you understand how powerful visual shading is. That said, I hope they improve it soon. Being able to switch between ShaderGraph and HLSL code for the same shader would be very useful, and is not currently supported, and perhaps never will, but we need to push.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  19. pachermann

pachermann

it makes me feel unsafe when i see that unity avoids to answer the critics of known good developers.
    It will definitly backfire at Unity in a bad manner, we have seen this happen with the largest companies, everyone looses in the end because critics spread like a fire.
    i wanna shout out to all those amazing Developers that fight against this current flood of compatibility problem and thank them for supporting us users with the amazing shaders and Systems that complete Unity.
    Im not saying unity does bad job, i love URP and you are doing a amazing job with many new inventions in the enginse, but please don't forget in many cases, in my opinion unity is 50% without the big Assetsstore Package Solutions.
    And i speak for the Creative artists and Agencys that try to make a living with Unity.

Love you Unity, Love you amazing Developers of the Assets Store!!! :):)

fherbst, AlejUb, mangax and 1 other person like this.
  20. mangax

mangax

hello everyone... thanks for all your efforts on URP.

is there any news on shadow masks for URP??
    this feature was amazing to use even on low end mobiles on old unity versions, there isn't any single reason against bringing back this feature again.. currently baked shadows in URP looks like a step back compared to older unity masked shadows.

URP deserve this feature.. because it helps in performance/quality optimization.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Ruslank100 likes this.
  21. transat

transat

Custom post processing effects are now working in URP. The next version of HBAO has this. :)

22. Arfus

Arfus

I mean. Custom post processing effects are currently NOT officially supported. If the "next version of HBAO has this" they've built support for this into the pipeline themselves. I've done this myself as well. It's not that difficult to do.

23. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You can create custom post processing without modifying the render pipeline, through a ScriptableRenderPass and a VolumeComponent (optional though). I suppose "official" in this case means there's a way to do it that's in line with the pipeline design. Built-in Unity effects use the same structure, so it's definitely on the table now.

24. Arfus

Arfus

Personally, when people talk about Custom post processing effects support. I believe they are talking about a similar setup as HDRP does. (this is also what I've built into URP myself). Yes, it's possible to have custom post processing by adding extra scriptable render passes, but this unfortunately does mean you will have to setup a bit more ground work, before you can apply your effects. (Although it shouldn't be too difficult).

25. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    hertz-rat and Arfus like this.
  26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

As someone who can't quite use DOTS right now (I'm doing VR and a lot is missing) what options with URP are there for accelerating rendering for VR? The hybrid renderer looks good, but can it be used in a monobehaviour based project? I wasn't clear on this so I thought I would ask first.

If it can be used, how is it done, providing there is performance to be had?

27. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

https://forum.unity.com/threads/srp-repository-migration.861625/

28. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Hi,

I have a problem with the custom render feature included in URP called "Render Objects"

It doesn't write to the depth texture, so any shaders or effects that rely on that depth texture don't work with those objects.

Am I missing something on the feature itself, or does its code need to be changed in order to handle that?

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You can override the behaviour with Render Objects to write to depth or not, etc, lower down. Did you investigate it properly?

Or is it a bug when writing to the depth texture? maybe the depth texture is written only once with the main pass.

AlbertoMastretta likes this.
  30. Swiggies

Swiggies

I had this issue. You can't have depth pre-pass and it must be queued after opaques. You can just turn of MSAA to disable the depth pre-pass.

31. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Whoa, that actually did the trick! Thank you so much! So I need to choose between MSAA and having the "render objects" layer interact with depth? I'll take the latter, although I'd miss the MSAA to be honest. Do you know of a way around it at all?

32. Swiggies

Swiggies

Good to hear! Not as far as I know but you can just use SMAA, FXAA or just increase the render resolution. It's not ideal but it's miles better than nothing.

33. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Thanks for sharing your insight, it helped me a lot!

Just realized the camera now has the anti-aliasing options, so that's the way to go! Since I had been using MSAA, I didn't even realize the camera had the option now

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  34. transat

transat

Assuming I should wait for 2020.2 before touching URP 9.x ? Or does it play well with 2020.1 (and improve on 8.x)?
    Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 10.02.30 pm.png

35. erikabar

erikabar

Unity Technologies

@transat 9.x is available on both 2020.1 and 2020.2, but please keep in mind that it's a preview package

transat likes this.
  36. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

@erikabar
    Do you know if lens flares are coming to URP anytime soon?

37. erikabar

erikabar

Unity Technologies

38. merpheus

merpheus

Anything on Shadergraph support for Custom Post Processing Effects?

SunnySunshine likes this.
  39. AlejUb

AlejUb

May I ask, how or where do I activate this? I have downloaded PPv2 2.3.0 (2019.3 verified), I'm at the 2019.3.9.f1 with it's verified CoreRP and URP. Nothing I do makes the PPv2 work:
    - Created a new project with the above mentioned packages.
    - Removed the post urp post volume that comes with the scene.
    - Created a new PPv2 Post-process Volume object, set to global, added a new profile with a default bloom.
    - Added Post Process Layer to camera, using 'Everything' layer mask for now to make sure it gets all the volumes.
    - Enabled/disabled/tweaked the camera settings (post checkbox, depth, antialiasing, etc) to see if anything would make the post processing work.

With PPv2 what do we do with the Post Processing camera checkbox? I guessed it should be off as PPv2's Post Layer would take care of it, but didn't work.

Any pointers? thanks a lot.

EDIT: Found it, on the UniversalRP quality and config assets (the ones that control cascades count, per pixel count, etc) under "Post Processing".

40. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

fherbst likes this.
  41. Rheonry

Rheonry

Is there a way to separate post-processing on a base camera and overlay camera? Currently the overlay camera has either all the effects from the base camera or no PP at all (even with volume masks local / configured correctly).

Setting blending to 0.5 "works" but I can't imagine it being good for performance..

42. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Performance. When will any performance issues be addressed? Just tried URP again yesterday, and the performance can be up to 40% lower on URP vs Built-In on Android. What the hell?

Conferno likes this.
  43. PerunCreative

PerunCreative

Any news regarding deferred rendering? Previously it was scheduled for 2020.1, but now it targets 2020.2 which is now in alpha. Is there any ETA (next month, Q3, Q4...)?

44. transat

transat

Looks close.

45. Conferno

Conferno

I wanna know this too.

46. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Performance should not be an issue unless we are encountering something we consider a bug. We need more information in order to help you.

If you're experiencing 40% lower performance please file a bug because we're super interested in figuring out the cause and solution.

47. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I already have.
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...v2-slash-universal-rp-slash-built-in-renderer
    While this issue is logged as a PostProcessing bug, general performance of Unity 2019/2020 and especially URP is lower.

Here's a corresponding thread I've started earlier: https://forum.unity.com/threads/per...ions-of-unity-post-processing-and-srp.786944/

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  48. rxmarccall

rxmarccall

49. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

50. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Yeah I can see in that bug report that they're actively looking into this, have now tested over 11 devices and managed to reproduce the issue on one device.

I'm going to try to do some general performance testing this week and compare it to the Built in one.

Peter77 likes this.