Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

UnityWebRequest.Post sends strings with escaped characters

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by kaskiU, Dec 4, 2017.

1. kaskiU

kaskiU

I have an API listening outside of Unity. I'm trying to send players score with UnityWebRequest.Post to the API. I am able to send score with Postman but not with Unity. After 2 hours of debugging I finally found what is happening with Wireshark.

What is actually happening here with UnityWebRequest.Post and why and how to fix this problem? Upper packet is sent from Unity, lower is from Postman.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public static IEnumerator SendScore(Score score)
    2.             {
    3.                 string bodyData = JObject.FromObject(score).ToString();
    4.                 Debug.Log(bodyData); // Check the second image
    6.                 using (UnityWebRequest request =
    7.                     UnityWebRequest.Post(GameSettings.ApiPostScoreUrl, bodyData))
    8.                 {
    9.                     request.SetRequestHeader("Content-Type", "application/json");
    10.                     yield return request.SendWebRequest();
    12.                     if (request.isHttpError || request.isNetworkError)
    13.                     {
    14.                         Debug.LogError("Error on sending the score: " + request.error);
    15.                     }
    16.                     else
    17.                     {
    18.                         Debug.Log("Sent score, possible answer: " + request.downloadHandler.text);
    19.                     }
    20.                 }
    21.             }
    Code (CSharp):
    1. namespace Api.Models
    2. {
    3.     public class Score {
    5.         public int Points;
    6.         public string Name;
    7.     }
    8. }

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    BAIZOR likes this.
  2. kaskiU

kaskiU

Anyone? I mean the POST gets sent but my API is unable to map it into a model due to weird characters.

3. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

The Unity docs state that:

The Content-Type header will be set to application/x-www-form-urlencoded by default.

Note: Many server backend languages do not properly handle POST requests with Content-Type headers set to encoding others than application/x-www-form-urlencoded or multipart/form-data.

If you're sure that your API is able to handle unencoded data then you could change the POST headers in Unity to send it unencoded using multipart/form-data as the content-type (here's an example of posting form data: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityWebRequest-SendingForm.html )

Perhaps this bug is also relevant? https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?826626_htlchp13nh8th2to

4. kaskiU

kaskiU

Hello, thank you for your response.

I wrote my API to use Content-Type application/json. I can verify with Postman that this works (API is also able to parse data into a model correctly, checked it with a breakpoint). I can also verify that with x-www-form-urlencoded it does not work.

In Unity side I am setting Content-Type to be at the line 9:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. request.SetRequestHeader("Content-Type", "application/json");
    Is there any ways to get around the encoding issue (or escaped characters - I mean those %22 %2a things)?

5. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

Normally it doesn't matter if it's URL encoded - the API on the server end usually decodes it automatically.

For example, if I send data like that to my PHP code it usually decodes it (or you can decode it when it comes in using the PHP command urldecode).

What language is your API written in? It probably has a function to decode the URL encoded string - might be worth trying to add that to your API.

6. creat327

creat327

i'm having exactly the same bug report. Which unity version are you using? 2017.2 seems to work, .3 is broken

7. kaskiU

kaskiU

I wrote my web API using ASP.NET Core, I have no experience on it and wanted to give it a go. I will read more about URL encoding and ASP.NET Core documentation tomorrow to see if I will find anything. Thank you!

I am using the 2017.2. Can't remember the first version I used which had the same problem. I had to upgrade to Patch 2017.2.0p4 for fixing another bug (broken WebGL build).

8. creat327

creat327

if you get the exact version number that broke it, you can submit a bug report with a test case and they'll fix it asap, they want to release .3 this week and breaking WWW calls is a critical bug

9. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Simply use Encoding class and convert your JSON string to byte array:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. System.Text.Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(bodyData);
    When byte array is passed to UnityWebRequest.Post(), it is sent to server as is.

10. creat327

creat327

that's exactly what im doing already and the server responds with a NULL error. Code works perfectly fine on 2017.2

11. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Can you show that code? Is correct content sent to server?

12. kaskiU

kaskiU

Hello,

how I can pass byte[] to UnityWebRequest.Post()? There is no such constructor as well as uploadHandler.data doesn't have setter.

EDIT: I get 404 from API with WWWForm... Seems to be incredibly hard with Unity to just send what you want without any escaping or other modifications. Also it seems that WebClient doesn't work with WebGL build...

Code (CSharp):
    1.  public static IEnumerator SendScore(Score score)
    2.             {
    3.                 WWWForm form = new WWWForm();
    4.                 form.AddField("Name", score.Name);
    5.                 form.AddField("Points", score.Points);
    7.                 using (UnityWebRequest request = UnityWebRequest.Post(GameSettings.ApiPostScoreUrl, form))
    8.                 {
    9.                     request.SetRequestHeader("Content-Type", "application/json");
    10.                     yield return request.SendWebRequest();
    12.                     if (request.isHttpError || request.isNetworkError)
    13.                     {
    14.                         Debug.LogError("Error on sending the score: " + request.error);
    15.                     }
    16.                     else
    17.                     {
    18.                         Debug.Log("Sent score, possible answer: " + request.downloadHandler.text);
    19.                     }        
    20.                 }
    21.             }

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  13. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Code (CSharp):
    1. var uwr = new UnityWebRequest(url);
    2. uwr.method = "POST";
    3. uwr.uploadHandler = new UploadHandlerRaw(data);
    4. uwr.downloadHandler = new DownloadHandlerBuffer();

funkyCoty, Bunny83 and kaskiU like this.
  14. kaskiU

kaskiU

Code (CSharp):
    1. public static IEnumerator SendScore(Score score)
    2.             {
    3.                 byte[] data = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(JObject.FromObject(score).ToString());
    5.                 using (UnityWebRequest request = new UnityWebRequest(GameSettings.ApiPostScoreUrl))
    6.                 {
    7.                     request.SetRequestHeader("Content-Type", "application/json");
    8.                     request.method = "POST";
    9.                     request.uploadHandler = new UploadHandlerRaw(data);
    10.                     request.downloadHandler = new DownloadHandlerBuffer();
    12.                     yield return request.SendWebRequest();
    14.                     if (request.isNetworkError || request.isHttpError)
    15.                     {
    16.                         Debug.LogError("Unable to send the POST: " + request.error);
    17.                     }
    18.                     else
    19.                     {
    20.                         Debug.Log("Sent the score to the API");
    21.                     }
    23.                 }
    24.             }
    I get 404 from the API. It seems request.method = "POST" doesn't work, I get following in the API console:
    Any other ways to set the method?

EDIT: It actually works on local (running Unity in the editor as well as having a local version of API and unity connecting to localhost). Problem is with the WebGL build or with my server.. I have Linux, running API on http and having a reverse proxy with Apache2 which listens https. Needs more investigating..
    EDIT: Removing https didn't do anything..
    EDIT: Ah, found the reason.. On another thread:
    EDIT: Ok, now everything works.. I had API on another host and subdomain. I moved the API now into the same host and subdomain as the game because of deadline, will maybe later research more on this topic. Still using proxy and it works fine. Will try https soon. If someone needs apache conf for such setup then here it is:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  15. salvadorlemus

salvadorlemus

Hello there!
    I'm afraid that I have the exact same problem with 2017.30f3.

I'm trying to do a simple login, here's my code :

Code (CSharp):
    1. IEnumerator GetClientAccesToken()
    2.     {
    3.         if(errorCounter >= MAX_ERROR_COUNT)
    4.         {
    5.             StopCoroutine("GetClientAccesToken");
    6.             errorCounter = 0;
    7.             yield break;
    8.         }
    9.         else
    10.         {
    11.             var form = new WWWForm();
    13.             form.AddField("grant_type","password");
    14.             form.AddField("client_id","4");
    15.             form.AddField("client_secret","kfbhpxTn0HA9Y4Nsf2ewa4JHCeMmaLo7oTNhvjS");
    16.             form.AddField("username","desarrollador@guiara.com");
    17.             form.AddField("password","gUIaRA1");
    19.             var headers = form.headers;
    20.             headers["Accept"] = "application/json";
    22.             var rawData = form.data;
    24.             var www = new WWW(_URI_TokenUsuario, rawData, headers);
    25. //            var www = new WWW(_URI_TokenUsuario, form);
    27.             yield return www;
    29.             if(!string.IsNullOrEmpty(www.error)) ///Error en la descarga
    30.             {
    31.                 errorCounter ++;
    32.                 if(Debug.isDebugBuild)
    33.                 {
    34.                     Debug.LogFormat("*** Error at <{0}> with URI <{1}> LOG <{2}>", "GetClientAccesToken", _URI_TokenUsuario, www.text);
    35.                 }
    36.                 StartCoroutine("GetClientAccesToken");
    37.                 yield break;
    38.             }
    39.             else
    40.             {
    41.                 try
    42.                 {
    43.                     if(Debug.isDebugBuild)
    44.                     {
    45.                         Debug.LogFormat("*** Download succesfull at <{0}> with URI <{1}> LOG <{2}>", "GetClientAccesToken", _URI_TokenUsuario, www.text);
    46.                     }
    48.                     CreateUserToken(www.text);
    50.                     yield break;
    51.                 }
    52.                 catch (Exception e)
    53.                 {
    54.                     Debug.LogFormat("Exception at <{0}>  <{1}>", "GetClientAccesToken", e);
    55.                 }
    56.             }
    57.         }
    58.     }
    In Unity 2017.2.0f3 my code works out of the box even with this two aproaches:

var www = new WWW(_URI_TokenUsuario, rawData, headers);
    var www = new WWW(_URI_TokenUsuario, form);

But in 2017.30f3 it just fails. I've the same result with uwr in 2017.3. Ther's a solution or a "hack" to get arround this?

Thanks in advance.

16. creat327

creat327

It's a serious bug. It is fixed on 2018.1 but not on 2017.3p1 yet. It's been reported several times, I don't know why they don't consider it critical and why it wasn't fixed before release because it was reported before the cut date.

I'm on the same situation. I can't update to .3 because then none of my web calls work but i need all the fixes included on .3 so... basically stuck without able to release for weeks

17. Raistlin2015

Raistlin2015

Could we get UT to answer this. How are we to set byte[] as a parameter to a method that expects a string? Can you not just create another Post method that doesn't URL encode the request body?

Code (CSharp):
    1.        //
    2.         // Summary:
    3.         //     Creates a UnityWebRequest configured to send form data to a server via HTTP POST.
    4.         //
    5.         // Parameters:
    6.         //   uri:
    7.         //     The target URI to which form data will be transmitted.
    8.         //
    9.         //   postData:
    10.         //     Form body data. Will be URLEncoded prior to transmission.
    11.         //
    12.         // Returns:
    13.         //     A UnityWebRequest configured to send form data to uri via POST.
    14.         public static UnityWebRequest Post(string uri, string postData);

18. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

You can create UploadHandlerRaw, pass byte array to it's constructor and then assign it to uploadHandler property.

Raistlin2015 and Bunny83 like this.
  19. Raistlin2015

Raistlin2015

Thank You for the reply.

I can get the UnityWebRequest to work in the editor but not in Android.

Get requests over https work flawlessly, so I just set up a proxy server with a simple state machine. I make requests to the proxy via GET, then depending on the "message" type in the GET URL (POST, PUT, or DELETE) I parse the body from the rest of the data in the GET url and send it to the main server which responds to the proxy which then sends the data back to the app. It's a pain in the butt, but It works. In the mean time, I am going to keep working on the game it's self. This is keeping me in a rut and I am not getting anything accomplished. Once I have the game in the Play Store, I will circle back and get the web requests done.

20. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

What exactly doesn't work? Requests over HTTP?
    If you use Unity 2018.4 or earlier and android 9 or later, then it is expected, you have to enable clear text traffic in the manifest.
    Otherwise, please specify what exactly doesn't work and check the logcat for error messages.

Raistlin2015 likes this.
  21. Raistlin2015

Raistlin2015

I use Unity 2020.1 and Android 10 and Android 11

22. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Then what is the issue exactly?

23. Raistlin2015

Raistlin2015

TlsException: Handshake failed - error code: UNITYTLS_INTERNAL_ERROR, verify result: UNITYTLS_X509VERIFY_FLAG_NOT_TRUSTED

Same as this Stack Overflow Answer where the answer very explicitly details the process to chain the intermediate certificates and I still couldn't figure out how to do this. https://stackoverflow.com/questions...e-failed-unitytls-x509verify-flag-not-trusted

The problem is, aside from the fact that I am not well informed when it comes to TLS/SSL issues, that I secured the back end with LetsEncrypt which doesn't allow access to the root certificate. To be honest I am not sure it is even necessary for the app to be able to access the root certificate.

From LetsEncrypt's Website at https://letsencrypt.org/certificates/
    When I am at a better place in the development of the game, I will probably buy a certificate from one of the bigger certifying authorities.

24. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Have you tried performing the same request using web browser? Because the error indicates a proper failure - untrusted certificate.
    Won't hurt to try such request using browser on the phone, or different web browsers (many of them have their own certificate stores).

Raistlin2015 likes this.
  25. Raistlin2015

Raistlin2015

Yes. I built a front end registration form and it works with the exact data I was sending. The last time I worked on it, however I added

app.use(bodyParser.urlencoded({ extended: true })); [ICODE]UnityWebRequest
    urlencodes the data sent
    [/ICODE] and I haven't tested the web form since. https://unadyne.com

I just checked, and I think I left the server off....

26. Raistlin2015

Raistlin2015

For some reason, GET requests using System.NET work on the Android builds.

27. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

The urlencoding of data shouldn't matter. TLS errors happen before any data is transmitted.
    What matters is whether your requests go to the same server or not.

Raistlin2015 likes this.
  28. Raistlin2015

Raistlin2015

Thank You. For your attention.
    Thank You. My problem is not the urlencoding. I only mentioned it because I am not urlencoding the json from the web front end, so it may not work. My problem is I don't know how to chain my certificates to account for unity / Android not caching the intermediate certificates. I don't even know if it's possible with LetsEncrypt.

29. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Reading this I think you may need to look at your chain and what is your root. It seems one of their root certificate is not available widely yet. This article seems to explain it:
    https://www.ssltrust.com.au/blog/understanding-certificate-cross-signing

Raistlin2015 likes this.
  30. Bunny83

Bunny83

Try checking your server on:
    https://whatsmychaincert.com/

It does a more detailed analysis of your provided certificate. The issue is that you usually should include all the intermediate chain certificates as well. This page can actually generate the proper chain certificate for you. Browsers might lookup the chain certificates themselfs, however not every TLS implementation may do this.

Raistlin2015 likes this.
  31. Raistlin2015

Raistlin2015

Thank You. I actually did that. https://whatsmychaincert.com/?unadyne.com I think that since LetsEncrypt keeps the root certificate offline, it will never work. I think I am going to just have to buy a certificate whose chain can be verified all the way to root. To be honest, I am not very knowledgeable on security subjects, but this issue has been a blessing in disguise by making me read about ssl/tls.

32. Andy1218

Andy1218

String jsonString = MiniJSON.Json.Serialize(finalParameter);
    Byte[] formData = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(jsonString);

UnityWebRequest w = UnityWebRequest.Post(finalUrl,"");
    w.uploadHandler = new UploadHandlerRaw(formData); //body
    w.SetRequestHeader("Content-Type", "application/json;charset=utf-8");
    w.timeout = 15;

I success

BinaryBanana likes this.
  33. BinaryBanana

BinaryBanana

Thanks for sharing! This worked for me too!

If this call "public static Networking.UnityWebRequest Post(string uri, string postData);" is broken or only works in some weird cases, I hope Unity team can consider updating the documentation. Right now, even sample is not accurate: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Networking.UnityWebRequest.Post.html

marcin-huuuge likes this.
  34. funkyCoty

funkyCoty

This worked. But, why not just have a POST method which allows taking in a byte array and just handle all this for us?

35. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

You can pass all of those to constructor and we also have a public constant for POST.
    In latest version we've deprecated Post taking a string and added two new ones, one escaping like before and other sending as it is.

36. funkyCoty

funkyCoty

Nice, glad to hear. I guess 'latest version' is tricky because of unity's insane naming conventions. We're on some 2021 LTS version, and will be for awhile. Glad to hear it's improving though!

37. gtk2k

gtk2k

What version is it implemented?

38. Bunny83

Bunny83

I'm not completely sure but just looking at the git history it wasn't in 2021.1.0a2 but is in the next update we got which was 2022.2.0a10. So it was introduced somewhere in between.