Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity, your undo SUCKS!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rlalancette, Nov 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlalancette

rlalancette

I have never seen a tool crash so many times with undoing. It's crazy. And I curse every damn time I have to reboot the editor.

And, that fact that some stuff does not undo, you end up undoing stuff, you don't want to.

Please fix ASAP!!!! God help me.

2. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

What circumstances? Nobody can fix with such a general description..

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Stop posting this in every thread, it's never helpful, especially with something that has such a broad scope of problems here. Unity's undo suffers from loads of problems, including but not limited to:
    • Inconsistent behaviour when editing fields
    • Custom editor fields not being undone while allegedly supporting that automatically, forcing developers to deal with the editor undo scripting
    • Things in the undo buffer being batched, leading to some things being undone in a single undo instead of multiple
    • And much, much more
    The undo feature DOES suck, and it sucks in multiple ways. Saying "ummm how are they supposed to fix it with such a poor description" helps literally nobody because people have been complaining about these problems for years and they've never been fixed.

stain2319 likes this.
  4. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

And you think complaining fixes things?

Yeah, I also like to complain about war in the world. Surely that fixes them.

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm saying that all you are doing is complaining that people aren't giving "proper feedback" when "proper feedback" hasn't been taken seriously by Unity ever. You aren't contributing anything to the discussion, you're just attempting to handwave it away.

6. vertexx

vertexx

There are many "Fanboys" about in every Forum! We've got DragonCoder!!
    Circumstances? Click "Undo" I think was the complaint.

7. spiney199

spiney199

There has been multiple threads about undo crashing Unity. Something to do with pro-builder I think, and being a core part of Unity I can understand the rage somewhat.

I was under the impression recent versions had fixed this.

8. warthos3399

warthos3399

He states: "I have never seen a tool crash so many times with undoing". In over 10+ years using Unity, i have never had it crash, due to using the undo feature.

This is a version/compatability issue, or a user issue. No info like what version is being used, or rig info...

Antypodish and Luemus like this.
  9. flintcheeze

flintcheeze

I am sure he is on Unity 2021version
    Just upgrade to Unity 2022.1.23f it should go away

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Upgrading to the Tech stream only solves problems if your problem is "this feature isn't in the version I'm already using."

11. Baste

Baste

There was a crash bug for undoing in 2021.3.9 to 2021.3.11. It was a whole deal. A simple google of "Unity undo crash" would've led to a thread with that information.

12. kdgalla

kdgalla

13. spiney199

spiney199

I mean it's really just a case of recording the serialised state of an object at certain times. Having that control is kinda better in the long run.

The issue with probuilder was probably more low level than the undo system itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.