Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity XR: hand animation

Discussion in 'VR' started by CharlieBudd, Mar 23, 2020.

1. CharlieBudd

CharlieBudd

I'm looking to port a project from using the Oculus VR plugin to Unity XR. However it would be nice to keep the hand pose that's provided by the Oculus Quest. To be clear I mean the skinned hand model not the controller position and rotation.

From my investigation this is not currently supported by the Unity XR system. Is there any plan to implement this moving forward? And how might I go about custom implementing it on a per VR device basis. Can I still load in the old Oculus Plugin to get the hand pose whilst using XR for everything else?

Thanks for reading!

2. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Realising that I had to do this separately for every manufacturer anyway ... and having lots of problems moving the Oculus hands across (lots of scripts dependencies they drag with them) I gave up on using the oculus ones and used an IK library to wrap my hands onto the controller + buttons, and then stored those animations + mesh settings.

(bonus: I can now add / change the hand models, use gloves instead, etc pretty quickly)

Took a while to write + setup the IK, but I recommend doing it.

nigel-moore and CharlieBudd like this.
  3. KAPastor

KAPastor

AShipman likes this.