Search Unity

unity with darkstar

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Mamu, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Mamu

Mamu

guys,i want now,how connect between darkstar and unity.

maybe you have sample project,darkstar and unity(with code+aset).

Thank You
    Razip Musa
    :p :p :p

2. hogus

hogus

3. Mamu

Mamu

@hugos,thank you for your reply.
    but i need darkstar,not darknet

4. Gaiyamato

Gaiyamato

I'll have a bit of a poke around at it over the next few weeks. But this is a rather ambitious project if you are not a coder, not familiar with unity or darkstar and not very well versed in server-client networking. :p

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

PDS has a C# wrapper for the networking or better a community member did one. Its project page is linked in on the PDS page directly.

According its project page it was done against an older version of PDS (0.91 not the current ones), as such its possible that it is not fully working.

I've not checked it yet myself against current PDS versions, but I would assume that if the wrapper requires some fixing up it will be minimal as PDS 0.9 is about server side stuff and scalability, not about the networking.

6. Gaiyamato

Gaiyamato

Just from what I have looked at so far I am seeing a lot of duplication in what Unity does (though perhaps better in some cases), but in very different ways (different language too).

I would be asking yourself "Do you really need this package?" if the answer is yes then I see a LOT of work to get this and Unity working smoothly together.
    If you have a good reason then the extra server-client scalability etc. may be worth the effort.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

aside of the pure networking unity does nothing PDS actually does.

Scalability and Persistence are two massive topics when it comes to performance and neither exists with unity actually and wouldn't be easy nor trivial to recreate

8. Gaiyamato

Gaiyamato

I cannot see much of either in this package yet.
    It really is just an overly complex server-client setup using a heavily customised network communication class which would take an awful lot of work to get Unity to talk to.

I tried for hours last night and could not make a connection. I tried to use the associated client package as a dll inside the unity assets but I got a lot of really strange errors and NetworkView stopped working for some reason.

So as I was saying, this MAY be easier to get going inside unity itself using the metaserver package (in C) that is already provided and some clever coding, though probably not as efficient with the scalability. But I have already made a persistent and partly scalable server in Unity already and it only took 2 solid days of coding and I'm no expert on this level of networking.

I think this package would be a lot of extra work that is not needed unless you have something very large and grand in mind and good production team with a lot of $$ behind you.