Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Stutter issue

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by DarkNeo, Jun 23, 2015.

1. DarkNeo

DarkNeo

Sorry to be creating another thread on the “famous” unity stutter issue. A lot of threads seem to just die.

Windows / Mac builds I leave Vsync On, I turn off the targetFramerate = 60 and my character's code is using FixedUpdate(). These settings work decent for me. The game is smooth 99% of the time then every now and then you get a tiny little blip. Which is annoying because It's not 100% smooth, Any other settings I have changed make the game worse.

For iOS devices I use the same settings however I make sure targetFramerate = 60 is on in my Awake() I have only tested the game on my iPhone 6 plus and my iPad Air. The game runs decent and best it has ever run, the game looks smooth however it still get's that tiny little lag spike, and sometimes after a couple of deaths the game is quite laggy but then when you die its back to being fine again. It's too random.

I have not tried it yet but I was wondering if changing the Graphics API from Auto to Open GL or Metal? would do anything? (for iOS)

I still need to test this on my brothers Android device I need to download the latest SDK. I suspect it will behave the same as the iOS device though.

Sorry I posted this in the iOS section it’s mainly what I am developing for, Windows/Mac/Android is just for helping to iron out this issue.

Not sure if anyone else has fixed a stutter issue with unity before? Any help or tips will be awesome! At work at the moment so can post more of my game info later if needed.

EDIT: Just got home updated to Unity 5.1.1f1, Now the matter is even worse all my physics are all out of wack, The character is stuttering now more then ever too.. Never had an update like this make my game worse...Currently reverting back to a slightly older version of Unity 5.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    MrEsquire likes this.
  2. DarkNeo

DarkNeo

I ended up changing from FixedUpdate() to Update() on my character and also the same on my camera follow script and that has fixed the game up quite good now for the iOS, tested it on my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air.

It still gets a slight spike every now and then, but its not effecting the gameplay like it was previously. I will still be adjusting the settings to see what else I can do to make it perform better.

Personally I think my Unity Game file / Level needs a good clean up!