Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Unity 2022.2 is now available as the latest Tech release.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We are making some changes to the DOTS forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Unity should have a dedicated Prefab placement tool

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Rowlan, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I've read that ProBuilder can do prefab placement, but I'm not sure. So I downloaded the ProBuilder package, but where is the prefab placement? I searched and couldn't find it. So please in combination with the vegetation placement of the Terrain Tools please add a dedicated prefab placement tool.

Dedicated. Really a dedicated one. Not something in some package.

I love the latest Tool Ecosystem. And Splines are in 2021. So please add something like I did here in my own free tool YAPP. It's nothing fancy, just loops over algorithms and splines. And optionally Editor Physics.

I kinda miss that from Unity.

Examples:

Rock placement should be as easy as this:

Or fields of Pumpkins:

That's not something that requires fancy logic. It's just some algorithm applied in a batch to selected prefabs.

Or fallen trees:

Works on everything. Whatever you prefer.

Adding and removing prefabs should be as easy as this:

Not drag and drop single items to the scene. I don't want to code that what should come out of the box. So please consider that in the future of Unity!

Thank you :)