Search Unity

Official Scene Tooling 2021 Preview - Tool Ecosystem

Discussion in 'World Building' started by gabrielw_unity, Oct 24, 2020.

1. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi all! Very excited to bring you this preview of our hopeful (nothing guaranteed) 2021 plan!

As the videos below explain:

Much better than shiny new features, this is instead a foundational rethink, making a consistent, reliable, awesome ecosystem of tools and info in the scene, all playing together nicely, easy to learn.

To state that another way, and, really, the way we aligned on this, we have a very clear Problem of Scene tools looking, acting, and interacting very inconsistently, meaning you have to learn by trial and error, then un-learn all that, for the next tool or system, and often these things will simply collide and conflict.

So, clear Problem, but why is it this way? Those are symptoms, what's the cause?

Well, that part's pretty clear also - there simply aren't the necessary supporting systems and guidelines, for people to make good tools and interactions, without going wild-west.

So, we're fixing that. And we really want both users and developers to stick around, watch this, it's a mix of tech changes and new workflows, we'll need feedback from everyone to make sure we get this right.

Video below, please watch, share, and let us know your thoughts! I'll also post the full video text here, so you can quote/reference/read :)

UPDATE: for more info on the Extended Overlays system that will enable the UI portion of this, drop by the Extended Overlays Preview post!

Thanks everyone, enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Immu, PanthenEye, Bromm and 10 others like this.
  2. JoNax97

JoNax97

Well this is just awesome.
    From the video I still can't quite grasp how the different tools will interact and override each other, but it looks clean and intuitive for the most part.

3. fherbst

fherbst

Edit: was confused by the multiple forum posts about this but moved my reply here.

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks! Yes, sorry, I may have over-excitedly cross posted too much :D

Immu and GilbertoBitt like this.
  5. andywillers

andywillers

Thanks for sharing