Search Unity

Feedback Unity should buy script inspector 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadowblitz16, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

Unity should buy script inspector 3 and make it the default script editor for unity

The reasons being vs studio is windows only and vscode is not beginner friendly and doesn't work most of the time.

Making script inspector 3 the default editor would ensure there was a universal code editor for all platforms due to it being implemented within unity's own gui system.

Currently I am on ubuntu and can't get vscode to work properly so thats why I was suggesting this.

Flipbookee likes this.
  2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

How's its performance these days? I gave an earlier version of it a go and found that it made the Editor noticably slower, probably because of the GUI system rather than the plugin itself.

3. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

@angrypenguin I haven't bought it yet although I am planning on it.

4. XCPU

XCPU

One of the best editors I've ever used on any system. Pounded out about 3Meg worth of code in the last year using it.
    Just the Auto complete is worth it.

5. Amon

Amon

This!

Flipbookee likes this.
  6. Amon

Amon

So it doesn't work perfectly with unity?

7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Without script inspector I would have looked at switching to godot because it has a similar built in script editor

Flipbookee likes this.
  8. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I gave that a try. Integrated editor was a big sell since I'm easily intimidated when it comes to configuring things. Ultimately there are too many features I missed (like vertex snapping) and the APIs for creating interactions just weren't complete. Could be a viable alternative eventually.

+1, I like integrated editors, and I DO have vscode working. It can't autocomplete things like FixedUpdate or OnCollisionEnter, but neither could monodevelop back in the day.

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Out of interest, are the people talking about VS Code developing on Mac? I've not used Unity from OS X in ages. In Windows the installer will grab and pre-configure VS Community for you, so you don't have to do anything. It's still a separate app, though, and a pretty heavy weight one at that.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  10. xVergilx

xVergilx

Or, you know, you can buy Jetbrains Rider and call it a day. Its amazing and also works on Linux.

MoonbladeStudios and Meltdown like this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

According to Wikipedia JetBrains assets and revenue combined are only half a billion USD. Unity could easily buy them.

12. xjjon

xjjon

Yeah, I use it on both mac and windows and it is great.

MoonbladeStudios likes this.
  13. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

They should as well, the jetbrains team are absolute genuises. Had the opportunity to meet them at a conference in europe and can say for sure they would fit in with the unity team and their general ethos :)

MoonbladeStudios likes this.
  14. xVergilx

xVergilx

Just in case, I was referring guy that wants free stuff, not UT.
    I don't think purchasing Jetbrains (as a company) would benefit anyone.

15. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Alternatively, if you're just a hobbyist like myself, you can open source your game. Have a public github for it, work on it actively for at least 3 months, and then apply for an open source license for rider or whatever.

I haven't tested this myself, but it might be possible? Link

16. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

well I think the upside to buying script inspector3 instead of jetbrains rider would be to implement it in the editor and have it look native to the unity ui.

and I'm sure it would be cheaper

17. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

Google has entered the chat

18. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

I think VSCode is as beginner-friendly as it can get, comparing to regular VS. It does need some more steps than the mentioned plugin, though. You only need to install C# plugin and Unity Debugger in the VSCode extension panel and it is ready to be used with Unity development (for Windows and macOS)

One advantage of using a standalone editor is that you don't have to import the tool to every project created, unless Unity implement some kind of global package in Package Manager. Also, I wonder if the plugin will implement a debugger since it does not seem to have it currently.

19. Steedalion

Steedalion

Hi Shadow I am using VSCODE on Ubuntu and it is not very reliable. I am considering buying script inspector. Can you confirm that it works 100% on Ubuntu.

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

Script Inspector 3 doesn't run on Ubuntu in the sense that you're thinking of because it's not a normal standalone application but rather an editor extension. It's strength is that it's built on top of the UI framework built into Unity and thus the only requirement to run it is whether you can run Unity.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    adamgolden and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  21. MDADigital

MDADigital

Its also its biggest downside, the unity UI is a bit clunky for this :)

Also it seems to rely alot on mouse, a big point with reaharper is that you do not need the mouse, here you can see my fellow dev implement an entire feature in our game without lifting the mouse once

22. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

@Neonlyte I disagree I have never gotten vs code to work.
    you have to edit project/config/make files and know how to use the plugins.
    something like visual studio 2019 doesn't have this problem as everything is gui. and there is no make files.

@Steedalion idk haven't bought it yet.
    @MDADigital I don't see why script inspector couldn't do this.

23. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

This would be a tragedy because arguably IntelliJ and Kotlin are Jetbrains flagship products and it would be a real shame for the software industry if they were deprioritized in favor of Rider.

24. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

For the official C# plugin? No.

25. Amon

Amon

Yo Unity!

Hurry up and buy it already....

26. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Be careful, see what happened with bolt2

27. Antypodish

Antypodish

I just add references, for anyone that is curious about Bolt2 subject
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/bolt-2-alpha-cycle-has-restarted.935003/page-2
    And link from very last post of this thread:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/visual-scripting-roadmap-update-august-2020.951675/
    And from very end of that thread:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/visual-scripting-roadmap-update-september-2020.978732/

What actually inspector 3, or its predecessors brings convenient to the table, in comparison to usual route, using external tools? Is the "weight" a main argument, or cross-platform support?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  28. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Its flow for me, not having to switch between apps.

adamgolden likes this.
  29. Amon

Amon

Is Unity the new Adobe? Buy ownership of their product, big it up, then let it disappear never to be seen again?

30. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I'm not sure what would be the point. Can't you just buy it and have that already?

31. adamgolden

adamgolden

It would definitely be great to code inside Unity and drop VS - as @Lars-Steenhoff mentioned, it's a flow thing. As to which particular in-editor package that should be.. any at all that's functional would be an improvement. What I would like to see as part of Unity Editor long term:
    - Code Editor, with at least code completion/suggestions and debugging/breakpoints/etc.
    - Audio Editor, with a universal codec, basic features including recording, ability to extend.
    - Image Editor, basic features, ability to write/import/export plugins/filters. Support for vector graphics would be a nice touch (not for me personally at the moment.. just in general).
    That would definitely reduce the need for external tools and streamline basic asset creation/editing, plus reduce compatibility issues. As for in-editor 3D modeling, I think artists will already have a specific program they have a preference for and use consistently like Blender or Maya which has lots of complex features they're already comfortable with and/or educated to use, and for people that don't need anything that complex, free in-editor tools already exist.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Out of curiosity, how does the lack of app switching help? In my case I'd still be switching tabs within Unity itself, so it wouldn't make a lot of difference.

In fact, given that Unity's floating (undocked) window management is far from great, I prefer to keep things to OS native windows where I can. That said, the only full solution there is for Unity to improve their windowing. And in the current environment the best solution will vary from person to person depending on what combinations of tools they need to use at once.

33. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

People think that if Unity buys it, they’re guaranteed longer term support and better integration.

They still haven’t realized Unity is much more willing to abandon and deprecate features than the average Asset Store developer, plus once the developers get assimilated into Unity culture, productivity falls off a cliff.

34. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I don't see it either. Actually, my experience is that it's better to work outside of Unity because it often fails to update data on the hard drive if you don't remember to "save project".

Before that bug, it didn't make any difference.

That's my experience as well.

I'm curious to know what is the proportion of pros and hobbyists about that expectation.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  35. Devastadus

Devastadus

I got script inspector3 and jetbrains rider. Once i got rider i have never gone back. I do not understand the issue with switching to apps. like it's just click on the icon, pushing alt-tab. you would have to click the script inspector3 window anyhow. There isn't any savings.

Also it makes no sense for unity to buy jetbrains. Rider is only a small fraction of what they do. They make tons of enterprise IDE's tools and have a programing language as well, which has nothing to do with game development.