Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity now runs slow on new Intel I5-6600 6th Generation CPU

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MadMaximus, Sep 3, 2016.

1. MadMaximus

MadMaximus

Now before I begin, sorry to make this a long post, I did not want to post/ask for help, cause i'm proud which makes me stupid. and I have done an extensive search for some resolution to this issue not only in these forums, but everywhere I could on the web, so here's my story, and I'm sorry if its a long story.

I was running Unity 5.3.4f1 on this system

Windows 10 64bit
    AMD FX-6300 6 core cpu
    8 gig of corsair DDR3 vengeance memory
    ASUS GTX 760 directcu ii oc ( 2 gig of video ram )
    120 gig Kingston SSD
    500 gig WD yellow 7200

And with that setup I was getting around 140fps in the Unity game stats, and the editor ran smooth, as well as the scene. The game window maximized or not, still gave me 140 fps.

But about 3 weeks ago my trusty amd cpu died, cause I did not check its condition, and the heat sink was covered in a layer of brown dust and had not been cooling proper for a long time, which also makes me stupid.
    So I was forced to upgrade, And I have always been a fan of AMD and have used them for the last 16 years or
    so, but this time I decided to try Intel, so I opted for a I5-6600 6th generation cpu, and new B150M-C mobo, new
    specs are,

Windows 7 home premium 64bit ( I cannot upgrade to Win10 since I changed the cpu/mobo, thanks microsoft )
    Intel I5-6600 Skylake 6th Gen
    16 gig Kingston DDR4 mem
    ASUS GTX 760 directcu ii oc ( 2 gig of video ram )
    120 gig Kingston SSD
    500 gig WD yellow 7200

Same video card and drives, just a new cpu/mobo/mem and I am quite impressed at how faster it is. Games like
    Skyrim, Dishonored, Thief, Portal 2 and even Minecraft loaded with mods run faster, more fps. My windows experience rating went from 5.4 (old amd cpu ) to 7.6 ( new intel cpu ) and a new install of Unity 5.4 and
    now my project runs so slow. The editor is laggy, and fps of 63 average in the game window, and it's laggy also. I uninstalled Unity, and loaded the older version which my project was using 5.3, and the same slow fps.

I own The Rake, which is a game made on Unity, and it runs much faster and smoother on this new system, over the old amd system.

I tried a bunch of fixes, like forcing gl, disabling Aero, setting Nvidia to performance for Unity, I disabled quality settings in Unity, but I'm stuck with the same slow laggy editor and same laggy low fps problems.

So can anyone who has a helpful Idea or insight tell me why everything thing I run on my upgraded system runs faster including a commercial Unity game, but Unity3d editor just lost more than half the performance of an old AMD cpu vs the new Intel. Is there a problem with Unity and Intel?

The one thing I should mention, when I run task manager cpu usage along side of Unity editor, it shows around 12% average usage, Unity does not seem to use all that cpu power on my I5.

Sorry for the long post.

2. MadMaximus

MadMaximus

Wow...no obvious solution. When I first installed Unity, I also installed Unreal, but I found the Unreal editor so buggy with terrain, to the point unusable, again on my old amd proc. So I stuck with Unity over Unreal. Now it's like, Unreal has fixed the terrain issue, and It runs fine with my new setup. no lag, high fps.. but Unity lags and low fps and constant stuttering in the editor. Unreal runs smooth, no stuttering, high fps... so what am I missing? I would prefer to use the Unity engine, but it seems to hate my I5 Intel proc, over Unreals acceptance of it...