Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity Hub on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Gennady, Jan 10, 2022.

1. ChanceNCounter

ChanceNCounter

It's only *supported* with GNOME, and it's impractical to move your day job to a system where your vendors won't provide tech support.

2. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Perhaps there should be a separate thread to discuss unsupported Linux distros and running unity on those

3. hecker_de

hecker_de

Not really related to UnityHub, but they shunned a bug-report of mine because I'm using Kubuntu on the desktop for using a different Desktop UI than they do...

4. Duathphoenix

Duathphoenix

Hey all,

I've followed the unity's official instructions on installing unity hub on RHEL distros. But upon installing unityhub it kept showing a black screen, I installed openssl but that gets me to the signin page where the sign in button doesnt work. This is the error i get when i run sudo unityhub in terminal.

libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
    Checking for update
    Error: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/opt/unityhub/resources/app-update.yml'
    (electron) Security Warning: A WebContents was just created with both webviewTag and contextIsolation enabled. This combination is fundamentally less secure and effectively bypasses the protections of contextIsolation. We strongly recommend you move away from webviews to OOPIF or BrowserView in order for your app to be more secure

Does anyone have any idea on how to tackle this ?

5. wilman_d

wilman_d

Hi, I cannot find any article that solving my issue here, so i need help. I have installed Unity 2021 LTS version from Unity Hub in both of my Arch Linux and OpenSUSE. in Arch it's work fine. but in OpenSUSE not, opening sample project (or any project with empty template) were stuck at "Importing". I wait it for hours but nothing. at first it maybe my slow HDD. but i tried using SSD too and the result was same, it stuck. is there any workaround to make it work on another distro like my case?

6. DrMeatball

DrMeatball

$ echo "deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-security main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/impish-security.list
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-security main

$ sudo apt-get install libssl1.1
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package libssl1.1
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libssl1.1'
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libssl1.1'

Any ideas?

7. hecker_de

hecker_de

If you're running 22.04, that's Jammy Jellyfish. Impish Indri was 21.10.
    So change the apt source to match with the rest of your system.

DrMeatball likes this.
  8. markmozza

markmozza

Completely Disagree. Most of us who develop use a LTS version of Linux and a well supported version. Outside of that no one cares. Ubuntu and CentOS are the most used platforms to Develop on so choose one of them. You cant expect support for every distro, thats insane.

Using AppImage is a horrible not native experience, its a work around. Packages are yesterday? Composer? Npm? HomeBrew? They are all package managers. Also most LONG term Linux users do NOT like AppImage, Flatpak and especially Snap (First thing i removed on Ubuntu 22.04).

9. ChiwTheNeko

ChiwTheNeko

And yet Unity still doesn't support the latest Ubuntu LTS that was released 8 months ago because of one library change. It also still doesn't support Cent OS 8 and 9 (I assume for the same reason). The problem isn't that Unity don't support every distro under the sun. The problem is Unity can't even support the LTS distros it says it's going to support.

And that stupid compatibility problem with LibSSL under Ubuntu 22.04 would not have happened if Unity was packaged with Flatpack or Snap or Appimage. These packaging systems are designed to avoid this kind of issues. Why not just use them?

Ares2048 likes this.
  10. markmozza

markmozza

Linux is way faster at releasing distro versions, you should be happy this exists, you get cutting edge constantly, yet people complain, Windows 10 was released in 2015, it 7 years old, Windows 11 is out yet only 23% of windows user use it, 75% is still Windows 10. Ubuntu 15.04 was release in 2015... 16.04 LTS in 2016, you get my point right. This is one Distro of Linux with several major versions released in the single life span of Windows 10, how do you expect developers to keep up. LibSSL issue lies within Ubuntu not Unity, you were not forced to the newer version. Just because its an LTS doesnt mean that its going to be backwards compatible, it just means it will be supported going forward.

Use a well supported version and you will be fine.

11. autoc

autoc

windows 10 is not stuck in the original version, it is constantly releasing new versions, and the role of the new version is to improve the support for new hardware, and, windows 10 has hardware manufacturer's driver support, which is very different from linux, while the old version of linux will not be compatible with new hardware, for example: my Dell 7560,11 generation cpu, centos7.9 has no network card, wifi support, not to mention the newer 12th and 13th generation hardware, and the new kernel has more user-friendly features, as well as many convenient places for newcomers.

12. spiralcules

spiralcules

succesfully install Unityhub from AUR with Manjaro,

i download Editor Archive manually, but Unityhub unable to load template, how to fix this template problem?

Templates is exist in Editor Data/Resources/Packagemanager directory, but Unityhub unable to load template

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  13. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

I finally managed to do 2 tutorial project games last week, 2D Platformer and the FPS microgames.

I've posted both in the "Made with Unity" section.

Using Unity 2021.3.3f1 on Ubuntu Linux.

sfjohansson likes this.
  14. Sikosis

Sikosis

Failed to install for me on Alma Linux 9

$ sudo yum install unityhub
    Last metadata expiration check: 0:04:32 ago on Wed 15 Mar 2023 08:25:55.
    Dependencies resolved.
    =====================================================================================================================================
    Package Architecture Version Repository Size
    =====================================================================================================================================
    Installing:
    unityhub x86_64 3.4.1-1 unityhub 99 M
    Installing dependencies:
    libXScrnSaver x86_64 1.2.3-10.el9 appstream 24 k

Transaction Summary
    Install 2 Packages

Total size: 99 M
    Installed size: 411 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    [SKIPPED] libXScrnSaver-1.2.3-10.el9.x86_64.rpm: Already downloaded
    [SKIPPED] unityhub-x86_64-3.4.1.rpm: Already downloaded
    warning: Signature not supported. Hash algorithm SHA1 not available.
    warning: Signature not supported. Hash algorithm SHA1 not available.
    Problem opening package unityhub-x86_64-3.4.1.rpm
    The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
    You can remove cached packages by executing 'yum clean packages'.
    Error: GPG check FAILED

Update:

Managed to get it to install by doing the following:-

update-crypto-policies --set LEGACY

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  15. DrMeatball

DrMeatball

**Note: For some systems, you may need to ensure the following:

The directory /usr/share/keyrings exists.
    The user or group installing the Hub has write permissions to the /usr/share/keyrings directory.
    The user or group installing Hub has at least read permissions to the resulting file Unity_Technologies_ApS.gpg.**

Could someone share the correct chmod command to do this? I have no idea what the correct #s are.