Search Unity

Unity Hub Feedback

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by tonic, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

@arvzg @Jes28 I can recommend that instead of either naming them all the same or copying them on disk, just use a versioning tool and check the project out multiple times into differently named folders for the time being

2. JesOb

JesOb

I have Versioning tool and checking out to different places dont help because Project is not only Unity. So Unity is subfolder nested inside real project and VCS is not solution there but really cause of issue.

3. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@arvzg, @Jes28,

We're working on project naming and a better workflow for people like you. It's in the design phase right now but you can expect it in future releases (medium term).

Cheers,

JesOb likes this.
  4. Neogene

Neogene

The "NEW" project "blue" button should display the default version which is used instead of only "NEW" label (eg: "NEW (2018.2.8)").

When installing a new version eg 2019.2.8 and having previously installed a beta version (eg 2019.3.x) (we are on MacOS dunno if on Win is the same) first time clicking on the new project selects by default the 2019.3 BETA and if we don't stay focused to which the hub selects we created the project with the wong configuration and we have to recreate because trying to going back from the beta to the "stable" version will generate different errors due to wrong packages versions. (we tried removing the package cache but still errors).

Due to the quick updates on 2019.2.x versions we had this problems three times every time we updated to the latest version and starting a new project.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

"New" means "new project".

6. Hypertectonic

Hypertectonic

If only they hadn't removed the "default version" option...

Deozaan likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Still needs to show the active Unity version. Running into the problem of accidentially creating a new project with the wrong one is quite common at the moment.

transat likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Click on the arrow on the right of "New" and choose the version of Unity you want to use.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

I try to explain a different way. The fact that "NEW" is so easily accessible leads to the impression that the Unity version can be chosen after clicking it. That's not the case, you have to KNOW what version you are creating the project for unless you click the arrow every time to check. That's a tiny bit too tedious to be honest and you have to remember to do it. The currently selected version should just be shown.

transat, Hypertectonic and Neogene like this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

It has been like that from day one; I complained about it too back then. I was answered "click on the arrow on the right of new and select the version you want to use to create your new project."

It's not going to change any time soon. Just get used to it it is.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, that's sad to hear, but only because they did not change it back then doesn't mean we can't try to get them developers back on possibly changing it now. A little support would be helpful, especially since you seem to be bothered by the same thing

Neogene and Carwashh like this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

The HUB still shows "Current Platform" for every project... WHAT platform? Could you please change this to showing the actual platform?

Hypertectonic and Neogene like this.
  13. Carwashh

Carwashh

Neogene and Deleted User like this.
  14. konsic

konsic

Please make that Hub closes when you start the project.

15. Carwashh

Carwashh

I wholeheartedly disagree with this - perhaps if enough people want this functionality, then an option in the settings to do this.

Hypertectonic and konsic like this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'd like this as a setting too.

konsic likes this.
  17. Deleted User

Deleted User

We definitely need notifications when new versions of the editor are available within the Hub. I'm not using the Hub very regularly now and I must check every time if there are new versions; I must think about it since the new versions are no longer announced on the forums.

Hypertectonic likes this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2019
  19. Carwashh

Carwashh

Surely it should just be automatic? Add details in one place, everywhere else auto grabs it.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, if you believe in "automatic"! :p

21. transat

transat

As someone who works in UX, one of the things that bugs me the most about the Hub is that I have to click on a button called "Add" to find out if there is a new Unity version. And if there is one (which btw is hard to decipher at a glance), I then need to navigate to the release notes on the website (via a bookmark - is there another way under 10 minutes?), before then going back to the Hub to click on download. Baffling. I would love to have been in the room when the user acceptance testing was done. :) I'm pretty sure the testing was done by admin staff taking on the "persona" of a user.

22. transat

transat

More feedback. ;) Can we get... "a "Community" tab where you can get all the latest technical articles, live sessions announcement and links to watch the recorded live sessions (...) as well as Asset Store promotions. You can also check out when your Plus or Pro licenses are going to expire and links are available for extending the expired/soon to be expired subscriptions or upgrading to Plus or Pro from PE license directly through our online store." ? Like in the China-only version of the Hub...

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Wait! the Sep 10, 2019 thread was edited, @davidlovegrove didn't bother creating a new one!!! This is a very bad idea since 2020.1.0 Alpha 9 was released yesterday, 17. October 2019. I didn't notice the release date; still, it's been 24 hours, the delay should be shorter.

24. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@transat Your wish may be granted sooner than you think ;)

transat likes this.
  25. SaSha_K

SaSha_K

These two are very annoying:
    - Hub doesn't let me to cancel executing installation!
    - Hub doesn't ask me WHERE to install editor! (it thinks, it know better)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Avalin and Hypertectonic like this.
  26. Deleted User

Deleted User

It doesn't ask because you are supposed to have already chosen where to install your editors. Click on the cog on the top right and choose where you want your editors to be installed.

SaSha_K likes this.
  27. JohannesMP

JohannesMP

When opening a project that was created with a Unity version that isn't installed, the update prompt neither lists which version you are upgrading from, not which version you are upgrading to.

It would be far more user friendly if the exact version numbers could be used instead of just "a newer version of Unity" and "an older Unity version"

upload_2019-12-31_11-46-15.png

28. JohannesMP

JohannesMP

When adding a project that was created with a Unity version that is not installed on the machine current machine it would be really convenient to have have the option in the dropdown menu to just install that required version
    upload_2019-12-31_11-53-33.png

Currently users have to memorize the version, hope it is included in the minimal list included under the Install>Add menu or more likely go to the download archive and manually select that version.

Attached Files:

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Uh, aren't you supposed to know that already?

You can find the version that was used in your project in "Project Directory\ProjectSettings\ProjectVersion.txt" as for the new version, you just selected it before clicking on the project title.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not the point. The hub already reads the versions that do not match, otherwise it couldn't tell them apart. Why not just show them, It's just a minor tweak. And as long as a program makes you wonder why something is less convenient than it could be or why information could be available but is not, there's always room for improvement.
    "Current platform"..., just saying.

Hypertectonic and Dover8 like this.
  31. transat

transat

That reply was in October 2019 @AbrahamDUnity. You now only have 20 months left to meet my expectations of Unity! :)

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

When opening a checked out or cleaned up project, the hub should prompt the user what platform he wants to start it with the first time. Just happened to me again that I removed the library and stuff, opened the project and.... argh, standalone import

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

You can already choose the platform before opening the project.

34. EnlightenedOne

EnlightenedOne

I keep having to uninstall Unity Hub this was on 1.6.1, it updated and stopped working. Unity is now on 2.2.2 it's been more than 6 months since I last tried to use it. I am on Windows 10 Pro:
    upload_2020-1-22_22-41-58.png
    Unity itself renders and functions fine, whats with the different/unstable draw techniques used in the hub?

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

You are stubborn, aren't you. I'm talking about conveniences here. Of course I could. But since the "Current Platform" bug still exists, it does not even tell me, after cleaning the project, it changed that "current platform" to standalone and imports it on wrong one the first time, costing me time.

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

Maybe, I just think that cluttering the Hub more won't make it better.

I don't think it can even know what platform you had chosen since you had cleaned your project, if cleaning means removing the Library folder where these informations are, in ProjectSettings/ProjectSettings.asset maybe, stored.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2020
  37. Baste

Baste

The point is that if the Hub doesn't have any informaton about the target platform/version, it should pop up a question box for "what do you want me to do" instead of potentially wasting hours by making a guess.

The only time that would happen is if you've deleted the library, so it would only happen in very specific cases, and wouldn't get in the way of any normal flow.

Hypertectonic and v01pe_ like this.
  38. Deleted User

Deleted User

"current platform" is just the worst. If it would state what platform it is it could very well just jump back to "Standalone" when the library folder was deleted. Then you would even know what platform it would import with...
    What's so hard about showing the right platform, I really don't get it.
    Or what happens when I upgrade the Unity version? Does "current platform" still mean the last I picked or does it switch to a standalone import?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2020
    Havokki and JesOb like this.
  39. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Shucks @transat, you called me out on that :D. We were actually going to release it in December but that release was delayed. You can expect it in the next release.

Cheers,

transat likes this.
  40. Deleted User

Deleted User

@AbrahamDUnity of course I'm asking. Is showing the actual platform instead of "current platform" a thing that will be implemented, or is not worth bothering any more?

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

It was once, for a short while, and then it disappeared; I don't know why. I guess it will come back, one day. :)

42. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Retrieving the actual used platform without opening the project isn't straightforward/efficient right now. We'd have to save it somewhere from the last time you opened the project. We might do that in the future.

Cheers,

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

Maybe you remember that I asked once that adding a "verify files" for every install would be useful; I also complained once that we couldn't deinstall modules once installed. It would be great if these two options were added to the current contextual menu of each install. There would be five options for each install then:
    • Add modules,
    • Remove modules,
    • Show in files browser,
    • Verify/repair installation (verify files),
    • Uninstall.
    Also, I've ran into a very weird problem under Linux Mint:
    I don't know if it's to the Hub team to check on this or if it's something Linux app store related.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  44. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi @AbrahamDUnity

When I start the Hub on Linux Mint, I get the "The server is irresponsive" message. I think this message is a remnant of the message we got in Windows when the Hub was trying to search for our projects on the cloud. This had been removed from the Windows versin of the Hub but it seems to have been left in the Linux version. What do you think?

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

46. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello @APSchmidt !
    I hope your issue with the hub app on linux is resolved with the 2.3.0 because server is irresponsive errors are usually related to network problems.
    Community tab is in its beta version, other features and sections will be added to it in the future versions of the hub :)

vipulgupta and ashleysimpson like this.
  47. v01pe_

v01pe_

I second the importance for a "Remove modules" function, although, I'd just implement it by allowing the checkboxes under "Add Modules" to be de-selectable. The option then could be called Add/Remove Modules.

Another suggestion: The Unity Hub menu bar tool (macOS) allows to quickly open the last used projects – this is probably my most used function of Unity Hub. Recently, I had an annoying incident with it tho: I had Unity `2019.2.19f1` and `2018.4.19f1` installed, latter of which I recently installed. I quick opened an older project that uses Unity 2018 and the "missing version" prompt suggested to open with Unity `2019.2.19f` after a long import session I realised, that the wrong version was picked.
    I plead to NOT suggest a specific version in that dialog. More often than not the suggestion is not what I want, and I had to dodge the wrong option a few times already – failed this time. Instead a button to open Unity Hub and let me choose a specific version for the project would be better – the selection mechanism there works like it should in my opinion.

P.S: I attached the dialog suggesting the most recent version
    Screenshot 2020-03-22 at 13.43.16.png

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  48. Deleted User

Deleted User

In fact, it should give you the choice:
    1. installing the missing version,
    2. opening the project with the installed most recent version.
    :)

49. v01pe_

v01pe_

No, most of the time I want to pick a specific version to open… it suggests the most recent version I think. All this functionality (install missing version, pick a version) is available in the Unity Hub UI, so no need to also support this edge case in the popup – but a "shortcut" to the Project tab in the Hub window would be nice!

50. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @v01pe_ ,
    Thank you for pointing this out. I understand this can be easily overlooked and we don't want to waste users time by unnecessarily updating their project. I will bring your suggestion to the team and we will consider it.

Cheers,

v01pe_ likes this.