Search Unity

Question Unity gets stuck when opening any project on latest MacBook Pro M1 (OS X Big Sur 11.1)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by manurocker95, Jan 19, 2021.

1. manurocker95

manurocker95

I'm trying to use Unity on my new MacBook Pro 2020 (the one with the new Apple M1) but every time I try to open any project (excepting a new fresh project) Unity gets stuck in "No response" and I need to force quit it completely.

Yesterday I left it to check if it ended opening but after 5 hours trying to open the editor , it remained loading. I tested 2019.4.18f1, 2020.1.17f1 and 2020.2.1f1 and all of them have the same issue.

I tested to turn wifi off (stated here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-cannot-open-any-project.497621/) and it worked... once. Now it gets stuck again.

I tested using other users and reinstalling Unity. No difference.

Does anyone have any clue? :/

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Assuming your project is properly backed up and/or source controlled, close Unity and try deleting the folder called ScriptAssemblies inside of the project's Library folder. When Unity reopens it should recompile all. If that doesn't work, nuke the project's entire Library folder and reopen.

WARNING: I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT YOUR GLOBAL OR USER LIBRARY FOLDER! USE CAUTION!

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

4. manurocker95

manurocker95

Deleting Library folder completely doesn't work either :/

5. manurocker95

manurocker95

Hmm, maybe but I thought it changed automatically to Metal (as it's the only one supported in the new Macbook)

6. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Make a new project in a new folder. See if it opens and works, then compare the
    ProjectSettings/ProjectSettings.asset
    file (those files are text) with your project.

From that comparison it should be possible to get some new clues to try out. Be sure to use source control so you can revert any experimentation.

If a new project also doesn't load then that's a Unity bug. Otherwise there's something (perhaps related to metal?) that you can fix.

7. maxuntoldgarden

maxuntoldgarden

Thanks @Kurt-Dekker for your advice.

The only thing that worked for me was deleting and re-downloading the project from Plastic into a folder with a different name.

• Deleting the Library folder didn't work.
    • Reinstalling Unity 2021.2 didn't work.
    • Deleting the project and redownloading from Plastic under the same folder path didn't work either.

ilmario likes this.
  8. manurocker95

manurocker95

Note: 2021.2 Silicon version works. With the new hub 3.0.0 you can choose between both versions.