Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity cannot open any project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MikaMobile, Sep 26, 2017.

1. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

Encountered with Unity 2017.1.1 on Mac OS 10.12 (also happens with a clean install of the latest patch release, p3).

I was working on a project that I'd had open for several days without exiting the editor. I needed to restart my computer so I quit Unity and rebooted my mac. Now, Unity hangs when opening any project, including a brand new one. This occurs after selecting the project from the launch window. No error message or crash window appears, it just silently hangs with "application not responding" in the dock. One time in about 15 attempts I was actually able to open a new, blank project, but the rest of the time it has failed, and I'm completely unable to work.

Any suggestions? I'll just be sitting here banging my head against a wall, fondly remembering a time long ago when my tools were reliable.

2. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

More weirdness - opened up a different project in 5.6, and that worked. Did some more fooling around with 2017, came back to 5.6 and now it TOO won't open that project anymore, nor can it open a new blank project. Something is seriously broken here.

3. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

After running into this with pretty much every Unity version I have installed, I figured it must be some kind of license problem. I deactivated my seat, deleted my license files, and went through activation again. This didn't help.

Last ditch idea I had was to just pull my ethernet cord, just in case there was some analytics/license bullshit happening. Lo and behold, this works! So now I'm able to work again, and I now know that Unity is S***ting the bed if it has access to the internet. I'd love a real solution, but at least I can do my job again for now.

4. graveckmatt

graveckmatt

I just encountered this and your solution to disconnect from the internet worked. Thanks for the info.

taco24 likes this.
  5. faatal

faatal

This could be what we started seeing this afternoon. About 4 different developers all have Unity hanging after we select a project. After about 1 second the CPU use goes to 0% and stays that way. We tried a ton of things. It seems like a race condition. If we set CPU Affinity to just CPU 0 on project selector window, it will start loading the project, then we can set it back to all CPUs.

Edit:
    This was on PC.
    5.6.3p3, 2017.1.0f3, 2017.1.1f1, 2017.1.1p3.

AdmiralThrawn, Adam-Bailey and taco24 like this.
  6. kihuen

kihuen

Same problems here. Very frustratingly, Unity launches safely without internet connections! We found the almost same editor logs just after the hang.

We tried http://update.unity3d.com/5.6/ivy.xml with browsers, and no luck today. Might be this cause of the problem?

7. taco24

taco24

Same problem here. On OSX startup of any project failed. We tried reinstalling different versions of Unity (2017.1.*, 2017.2.*) but it didn't change anything. Disconnecting from the Internet solved the problem.

ricogs400 likes this.
  8. faatal

faatal

Still flaky today. 2017.1.1p3 is hanging about 50% of the time I open a project!
    5.6.3 also had an activation error when I opening it today, since I had deleted the license files yesterday. On second attempt it activated.

ricogs400 likes this.
  9. Hassurunous

Hassurunous

Thank god someone has a fix for this. Disconnecting from the internet got me past the freezing. I'm on 2017.1.1f1 and it just suddenly crashed and then wouldn't open anything. I've spent the last hour trying various fixes before I found this thread.

ricogs400 likes this.
  10. ricogs400

ricogs400

Me too, on 2017.1.0.p4.

11. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

I just tried this with 2017.1.0f3 and it worked for me. Tried the same project 6 times, 3 with your method launching the project successfully and 3 without doing it where project didn't open.

faatal likes this.
  12. BlueKyle

BlueKyle

Also encountered this problem with Unity 5.4.3 on Mac OS 10.12.3
    Already tried uninstall and install unity and reboot mac but nothing happened.

Thank you for your solution to disconnect from internet. It works well

13. sylon

sylon

I think the issue in this thread is the same thing?

14. led42

led42

Got the same thing on Mac OS 10.12.6 tried, 2017.1,1, 2017.1.1p2 and 2017.1.1p3, turning off network worked though.

15. IvyKun

IvyKun

Same here!

Deleting temp and obj folder before opening the project works, but sadly not every time.

16. LukasH

LukasH

Our company has the exact same issue! Very Frustrating!

17. KeldorKatarn

KeldorKatarn

I have the same issue, although it's not consistent. If I create a fresh empty project, unity creates the project, then idles as a background thread, never opening the project. Some projects cannot be opened at all... unity goes into an idling background thread. I haven't tried cutting the internet connection but even if that works, that's no solution for me at all. I need that to work.

18. Mese

Mese

Once the project is openned, you can re-enable your Network and manually log in into Unity Services.
    So you can have network and Unity :)
    But its a pain in the butt having to disconnect your network everytime you want to open a project.

19. KeldorKatarn

KeldorKatarn

I am using a personal license, meaning I do not have a license key. Unity doesn't allow me to use it offline. At least I don't know how to manually activate anything without a license key, which as a personal user you don't have.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  20. juan-uran

juan-uran

Unity Technologies

We are experiencing some problems with our DNS server, and it's affecting intermittently. We don't have a fix yet, but there are two workarounds:

Workaround 1: Disconnect the network.

Workaround 2: Add

127.0.0.1 update.unity3d.com

To /etc/hosts (Mac) or C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows).

Please, use one of these to solve the issue for now.

21. TheJimz

TheJimz

Hopefully you fix Unity to handle this gracefully!

22. KeldorKatarn

KeldorKatarn

Agreed. Unity shouldn't just go into idling forever without even any kind of message to the user. Heck since it's in the background you don't even see an idling status bar. It just doesn't show anything. That's no way to react to a not found server.

faatal likes this.
  23. joe90

joe90

Im glad I found this.. I just installed on my brand new mac (highest spec pro, so it should work fine, and I only say this to show its not on older machines that are not 'clean') - I then installed and setup at home, first monodev crashes on startup, but I prefer to use VS anyways. So came into the office this morning, and it would not startup.. Disabled the wifi (now on the work wifi, not my home) and it worked..

This needs to be sorted really.

I will check when I get home to see it it plays nice again on the network it was setup on.

/edit just read it is a DNS error

24. xpkoalz

xpkoalz

I am facing the same problem too. Been working on the project without problems, then suddenly this evening it hangs. Unable to open it until I disconnected from WiFi. Please fix this problem is ridiculous!

sebastianomorando likes this.
  25. sebastianomorando

sebastianomorando

Hi I modified the etc/hosts but when I start Unity the launcher stay all gray

26. PhantomFighter

PhantomFighter

After doing this the editor still sat as a background process for a long time for me. It eventually came up, 30-60 mins later after leaving computer unattended for a while...

27. LeGiangAnh

LeGiangAnh

Happened with Unity 2017.2.0f3 as well

28. DonkyeyUppercut

DonkyeyUppercut

I'm on Unity 5.4,5 p4.

Nivida 970, Windows 10

Project was running fine for a while, then X weeks ago, I'd open the project - one which an entire team has no problems opening - and it crashed after trying to build the library.

Since then, I've done multiple re-installs, set it to run offline and I've done the temp fix above to my hosts file.

Nothing.

It crashes and sticks in the task manager eating RAM and nothing else.

29. jmeek

jmeek

Try this, it worked for me.

For Windows 10 and 8
    1. Press the Windows key.
    2. Type Notepad in the search field.
    3. In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
    4. From Notepad, open the following file: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
    5. Copy and paste the following text on a new line in this file: 127.0.0.1 update.unity3d.com
    6. Click File > Save to save your changes.
    7. Open Unity and that should fix the DNS issue from now on.

For Windows 7 and Vista

1. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
    2. Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
    3. Click Continue on the Windows needs your permission UAC window.
    4. When Notepad opens, click File > Open.
    5. In the File name field, type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
    6. Click Open.
    7. Copy and paste the following text on a new line in this file: 127.0.0.1 update.unity3d.com
    8. Click File > Save to save your changes.
    9. Open Unity and that should fix the DNS issue from now on.

30. monark

monark

This worked for me temporarily, I was able to open my project (in U5.6) but then after about an hour it hung whilst compiling changes.

31. monark

monark

So in fact this might be down to the High Sierra Mac OSX update knackering smb server connections, still exploring that...

32. AdmiralThrawn

AdmiralThrawn

I have been running into this some times problem, but this time it was really nasty. I logged off from my account (started in offline mode), cleaned the Library folder, disconnected from the internet, NOTHING worked. Finally, after a windows restart and starting in offline mode finally let me see the project again.

Unity, this bug is a total production killer! We would appreciate it very much if you fix it as soon as possible.

33. cgarrotti

cgarrotti

no work ! no work ! no work ! no work ! no work !

34. Eneco

Eneco

yes, this issue still exist...
    unity3d 2017.3.0p3

35. PabloAM

PabloAM

Added DNS changes and Still is not working!!

Trying with offline mode, and neither!!

This happens to me randomly and this take down all the productivity!!!

Fix it!

36. diegosato

diegosato

This still happens with me from 2017.1.0f3 up to 2017.3.0f3, with any project! Tried all workarounds and nothing fixed it.

37. imtehQ

imtehQ

This is this a issue...

Edit: A work around i found was to open a scene file in a project.
    This will open the editor without a issue.
    However it will sometimes just stop loading midway then open the task manager open unity and kill node.js process

However this does not solve the issue that you can not create a new project :/

38. Teohh

Teohh

I had the same problem: I tried to open any Unity projects(even brand new ones) but i couldn't, it just started a backgroud process. I tried to disconnect from internet and i tried to edit the DNS file, but still didn't work. Turns out it was all because I had an xbox controller plugged in and Unity didn't like it at all. As soon as I disconnected it, everything worked just fine.

39. -lt

-lt

----------
    ..open a scene file in a project.
    This did work for me - using Unity 2018.2.0f2 on Mac High Sierra. I tried disabling internet, rebooting, etc and nothing but LOADING... message when opening unity. I went in and opened a specific scene file and it got past the Loading.. message and showed me my previous projects - opened up fine after that.

imtehQ likes this.
  40. FourMileFox

FourMileFox

Not sure if this will help everyone, but I was able to fix this by rebooting my router.