Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity Experimental HDRP DXR

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by SebLagarde, Apr 4, 2019.

1. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Is there any estimate when DOTS Hybrid Renderer will support DXR when coupled with HDRP?

Currently DXR just doesn't get the data if provided through Hybrid.

2. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, this is under investigation, we have currently no ETA.

rz_0lento likes this.
  3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Hi, thanks for response. Mainly trying to figure out if this is something that could be sorted out for 2019.3/.4 LTS or if it's something that would go to 2020 cycle anyway since DXR itself is still experimental on 2019.3.

But yeah, I'll just wait and see what happens, no worries :)

4. Pyromuffin

Pyromuffin

Can't search for the term "VFX" because it's too short, so yeah, unity crashes with VFX editor outputing multiple primitive types from these same graph, while RT is enabled. I submitted a bug: Case 1196005

5. newguy123

newguy123

Can we perhaps get some updated info in the 1st post, as to how to get this going with the latest and greatest beta/alpha please?

I'm downloading the 2020.1.0a11 version now. Can I just start a new scene with the HDRP template, then install the latest DXR preview package, and go through couple of settings to get it going, or its a bit more complicated than that?

6. freenomon

freenomon

I can't get raytraced shadows no matter what I do.. even with the 2020 version. I can get the ratyraced GI and AO, but not the shadows. if anyone has faced same problem and found a solution, please help me here. I'm desperate.

Also, I was told in this thread somewhere that starting with 2020, GI for skeleton mesh (charaters) will be activated, but don't see any answer from Unity after asking about it. anyone who can do raytraced shadows can get a skeletal mesh to receive soft shadows on a character in 2020 (fbx imported)?

thanks a lot.

KC

7. elbows

elbows

Keep in mind that although an alpha of 2020.1 has been around a while, most stuff being worked on for HDRP is still for the 2019.3 version. I dont think much in the way of 2020-only HDRP features have been done yet, they currently develop for that version but then backport to 2019.3.

I dont remember what was said about skinned mesh support timescales. Its not something I expect to appear any day now, although I could probably say that at any time, even if that feature actually arrives the very next day. So I can only be vague, but I would not currently wait with the anticipation that it could be very soon, it could be 6 months away for all I know!

As for shadows, I've given various advice in the past that I wont repeat again (my earlier posts are still there to read in all their tedious detail), apart from the bit where I suggest starting with Unitys own demo project and see if shadows are working for you there. The master branch of this project is for 2020.1, but there is a release/2019.3 branch that uses HDRP 7.1.2.

2019.3 branch: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SmallOfficeRayTracing/tree/release/2019.3
    2020.1 master branch: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SmallOfficeRayTracing/tree/master

I'd also say that at the moment, 2020 is not currently where the action really is for those who want to try the latest DXR improvements. HDRP version is more important right now, eg version 7.1.3 which is on github branch release/7.1.x and should work with 2019.3. That version is due out some time real soon, although they still seem to be tweaking it today.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/tree/release/7.1.x

There is always a chance that there is something in 2020.1 alpha editor, or associated 8.x versions of HDRP, which is not in 7.1.3, ie something I have overlooked making my advice wrong, but certainly when it comes to shadows and other things not working, you should not need to jump to 2020 to get this working.

8. freenomon

freenomon

thank you so much for taking the time to explain and write all this. very nice of you. I will wait for the 7.1.3 version and see if that fixes my raytraced soft shadow problem. But unless I can do raytraced softshadows and GI on a skeletal mesh for charcter animation (like I can in UE4 with no prblems), there is no use for raytracing for me in UNITY as is now. I'd rather bake using GPU progressive for backgrounds since it's much faster and accurate once baked.

thanks again!

KC

9. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi,
    fyi,
    i updated all my DXR test projects
    from
    2019.3.0b8
    to
    Unity 2019.3.0b10

there is an error for all projects

Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@7.1.2/Editor/RenderPipeline/Settings/SerializedRenderPipelineSettings.cs(58,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'SerializedScalableSetting' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

could be solved with

1) Go to your old working 2019.3.0b8 version
    2) copy the file "SerializedScalableSetting.cs.meta" (The META) from ----> \Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@7.1.2\Editor\RenderPipeline\Settings
    3) Paste it in your not working copy 2019.3.0b10 in the same location
    4) Access with file explorer, right clic the file, go to security revoke writing permissions to the file.
    5) Use unity it normally

6) Don't forget that when they resolve this issue to set to default the permissions of the meta file.

see
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ce-serializedscalablesetting-can-not-be-found

10. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

7.1.3 release is on github already that has a fix for this

keeponshading likes this.
  11. keeponshading

keeponshading

Aaaah. I see. Thanks.

12. newguy123

newguy123

Hmmm I'm reading the instructions on how to actually get this from github, but not sure I'm understanding what to clone....

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/tree/release/7.1.x

So all I need to do is to press the clone/download button on that exact page (without going into other branches or folders etc), then download whatever I get from that button press, and save it into my assets folder?
    Then edit my packages.json to point to this folder in my assets?

Is that it?

Any idea of when 7.1.3 will appear by itself as a preview in the editor instead of going the github route?

sendspace likes this.
  13. sendspace

sendspace

newguy123 i am wondering the same, every new hdrp take time to appear in UPM. :(

14. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Not every release ends up in bintray/package manager. Afaik (Unity please correct if I'm wrong here) the main QA pass only goes through once the version release has been made and if there are showstopping issues it won't get green lighted for distribution. There has been lots of versions in past that never arrived to regular distribution.

15. elbows

elbows

Admittedly I mostly work with github versions and not the package manager, but I do often keep an eye on what release versions are available in package manager. And my memory is not the same as yours on this at all - I think release versions always end up in package manager, with maybe an exception here or there but none that I remember. There can be a lag of some days between release on github and appearing in package manager though.

I usually use github commands to get the branch/release I want. But I suspect that since they removed the use of github submodules ages ago, it may be possible for people to simply download the releases as single zip (or tar.gz) archives from the releases page and have them work:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/releases

Lex4art likes this.
  16. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

It's true, not all versions end up there. I also keep an eye on both releases and Github. You can check for yourself as every version is on GitHub but in the package manager, you will see missing versions. As rizu said they only make it if they pass QA or that's what's been said by a dev a while back. So they release on GitHub then QA tests it and if it's good then it goes to the package manager if not it just stays oh GitHub.

17. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You can view packages that are in bintray here: https://bintray.com/unity/unity/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition but do note that all of them may not be cleared for automatically showing up on package manager.

If you compare this list to github's releases, you can see many versions missing here and there, sometimes most releases make it to prime time at some timespan, sometimes there goes many releases between. If you just look at the latest list you'll notice that 6.8.x never arrived to bintray, but also that many point releases aren't at bintray either.

18. elbows

elbows

Thanks for the info. I see. Some of the ones that never made it seem to be for obvious reasons, eg release date on github of 5.8.2 was the day after 5.8.1, so not surprising that 5.8.1 didnt get published on package manager. Maybe some others would have had understandable explanations for me if I had been following along properly at the time.

19. mgear

mgear

is this going to have noticeable improvement in unity dxr scenes?
    https://twitter.com/MartinStich/status/1194696070024048640

20. INedelcu

INedelcu

Unity Technologies

We are using collections to store hit group state. NVidia shader cache is also used here and helps a lot.
    StateObject creation from many collections was already quite fast but 441.20 will help more when using dynamic scenes where the content of the acceleration structure changes very often.
    Maintaining several state objects that reference the same shaders also uses much less GPU memory - this will apply to Unity. Yay!

21. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

7.1.5 is now in bintray (haven't checked if it shows up in package manager too).

keeponshading and Lex4art like this.
  22. Lex4art

Lex4art

Yep, it's there in Package manager ). Let's see how it goes mwehehehe.

Upd: Hmm, with Unity 2019.3.b11 it crashes a lot, even freshly created project crashes right after hiting "Fix all" button in Render pipeline wizard (and keep crashing after that). Unusable right now (.

Upd 2: Seems that crashing happens only if videocard using Nvidia Studio driver instead of GeForce game ready one.

Upd 3: Or not... meh, it's not stable even with gaming driver (v441.20). But when it works - it works FAST ). Just don't try to set "Bounces" parameter for Global Illumination to more than 1 (freeze and crash).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    keeponshading likes this.
  23. Lex4art

Lex4art

Seems that latest Nvidia drivers are causing problems with DXR stuff - freshly created Unity projects crashing and never working again after that (crash on start, sometimes with Windows), previous month DXR-test build crashes (was working fine before), Unreal project with ray tracing also crashed at some point and not be able to load up - always crashing at start. GeForce Experience is evil thing in terms of rolling back drivers so I removed al Nvidia-related programs and drivers and installed old September dated driver v432.00 (before Nvidia implemented security patches) and it seems to be a solution: broken Unity projects now can be loaded without a crash, old DXR-test build working, Unreal project also can be loaded. Hope that is it for now...

24. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

That is interesting. For me the DXR is also constantly crashing. I reported a bug but they could not reproduce it ...
    Basically Unity is always crashing when I'm in Editor and go to play mode. I use a RTX 2060 and DRX with Tier 1 enabled in HDRP asset. But it get's even worse if I enabled Tier 2 and try to tweak raytracing relating settings like sample and bounce count for global illumination. Then I get a Bluescreen with the error code: "VIDEO TDR FAILLURE".

But all in all, with or without Raytracing, my projects keep always crashing with DirectX12 in play mode while in editor. That is not the case with a build.

So I wondering with the latest Windows 10, Nvidia and Unity updates, who is the one to blame for that mess. For the moment, Raytracing and game development are a really disappointment.

25. Lex4art

Lex4art

Ray-traced global illumination always crashing if number of bounces are touched (I've reported that issue and it was confirmed (Case 1199093)), no matter Nvidia driver version I've used.

But there is some more weird thing happens - "High Definition RP 7.1.5" comes with "High Definition RP Config" v7.0.1, there is an option to update "High Definition RP Config" from v7.0.1 to 7.1.5 and... ray tracing stops working. In HD Render Pipeline Wizard there is a fix needed for DXR config, after applying it ray tracing starts to working again but "High Definition RP Config" resets to v7.0.1 (maybe this is just typo, seems to be working without crashes more or less).

Also, it seems to be mandatory to delete old post-processing volume & sky fog volume & light sources from old (pre 7.1.5) scene setup or very weird GI lighting and all kinds of visual problems will appear with ray tracing.

An it's working FAST but only if there is not so much geometry details in close proximity:
    No textures - its FAST 2.jpg
    No textures - its FAST.jpg
    (testing freshly bought "Brutalist" package from kitbash3d.com)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  26. Lex4art

Lex4art

Also, I've found a dirty trick to increase ray tracing distance from puny 50m to at least 500m:
    ray tracing distance trick off.jpg
    ray tracing distance trick on.jpg
    It seems that limit to 50m is in absolute units and you can scale down all meshes in the scene to 0.1 and this turns 50m to 500m (not enough for reflections, but at least something). Readjusting camera clipping distance and fog height to 10x lower scale and that is it ).

But seriously, somebody - fix this weird limit please (pretty please!), it's so wrong ("640KB is enough to everyone"-like) and makes things complicated to work with when it's more that a sketch map.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Rowlan, Bordeaux_Fox and wetcircuit like this.
  27. keeponshading

keeponshading

I upgraded also all my projects to
    in
    Unity 2019_3_b11

It works for me when i tranfer the
    com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition-config
    to
    a local package.
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.core": "7.1.5",
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition": "7.1.5",
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition-config": "file:../LocalPackages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition-config@7.1.5",
    "com.unity.shadergraph": "7.1.5",

Before that i killed all my projects to absolut death with the
    441.20 Driver.
    Reopening not possible. Even after installing the old driver.

Switched back to
    Everything is fine.
    Except the Global Illumination like you mentioned. Crashes a soon as you touch em.

28. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Your images prove to me that it is not just me. The quality with DXR GI is very noisy even with all denoisers applied.
    I also get very slow ghosting, so the GI is not able to update with camera movement in realtime. And I just tested it with one single mesh of an arena with no textures applied. Even DRX shadows for main sun is way to slow, also have ghost artefacts and flickering and banding.

Right now, only DRX AO and reflections seems to be useful for 60fps game. The rest is just for static 3D show casing ...
    Wondering if I just purchased a simple marketing joke gfx card.
    No support for the rtx cores in the game engine nor in the gpu lightmapper.
    They showed a video on YT with that raytraced car but for everyone that is not part of the marketing team, the raytracing does not deliver that quality.

I can confirm that, too. DRX GI is always crashing, especially the bounce and sample sliders are very dangerous to touch. Right now I'm giving up, because of crashes and bluescreens.

29. keeponshading

keeponshading

I trying hard to create an scenario to compare all techniques available in current HDRP.

I can switch now nearly every technique over volumes and optimize them via layers but there are 2 questions.

How can i enable and disable all raytraced shadows with normal ones.
    I have around 40 light rigs. Every Rig has around 5 lights.
    It worked nicely in the Experimental DXR version to enable/disable raytracing global for all lights.
    Now this setting is gone and i must do it for every light?

Second.
    I really would like to compare
    raytraced screenspace reflections vs screenspace reflections vs manual placed reflection probes.

But there is only one global setting for the resolution of all reflection probes.
    Thats an new limitation who s really hard.
    Is there a way to set them independent?

30. Lex4art

Lex4art

Denoiser was disabled on all 4 screenshots (you can see the settings) - it's way too blurry in motion, prone for smoothing artifacts (some lines of not denoised pixels here and there) so I've disabled it for scene setup. Hope it will be fixed sooner or later, but as promised before - DXR in 2019.3 release will be in "Preview" form and all that comes with that.

Currently I feel that only special kind of niche game can use GI, reflections and shadows all at once - so, as you mentioned it's about picking only one heavy tech to use (reflections or GI) or two lightweight (AO and shadows) and denoisers has problems with both GI and reflections (too much ghosting, too much distance artifacts, no *out of camera frustrum* shadows in reflections, etc).

RT shadows are good enough to be actually used with some tweaking:
    - Adjust Ray bias parameter to remove artifacts on distant objects.
    - Don't use contact shadows (tons of artifacts).
    - Distant-based optimizations are very aggressive and hard coded (ray traced shadows becomes way too smooth way too quickly for me and there is no tweaking :( ).

But it's cool at least to touch this stuff and have fun with editing stuff in realtime ). And at least one game (Control) has impressive usage of ray-traced reflections, inspiring. But overall - yep, 2xxx series is not fast enough for real breakthrough in ray tracing. Maybe some smart-ass solutions arrive at some point (like mixing screen-space ray-tracing to do half of the job + perfect denoisers). Sonic Ether did small miracle for Minecraft with ray-tracing in Seus PTGI, even on non-RTX videocards (but in very voxel-friendly low-poly world) with very smart usage of ray tracing budget.

Bordeaux_Fox and keeponshading like this.
  31. keeponshading

keeponshading

For now we make heavy use of the layers.
    The DXR integration into the Volume Framework got really powerful.

Seeting up ever camera (interior, exterior, street level, overview) to switch volumes and layers to needed seetings you can afford , works pretty nice.

Some wishes.

• An debug view who shows color coded the geometrys who beleong to the different active volume layers.
    • An view where you can see ms for the acceleration structures for each of the different techniques.
      Or when they are shared, which ones are this?

Lex4art and Bordeaux_Fox like this.
  32. jeremedia

jeremedia

Is transparency currently possible in DXR path tracing? I can't seem to find a combination of settings that produces anything with a transparent surface.

You can see the glass bottles are black in the example images in the path tracing docs:

33. Lex4art

Lex4art

It works under Ray tracing Tier 2: Transparency tier 2 setup.jpg

34. keeponshading

keeponshading

in the Small Office Scene, attached to the main camera,
    you can find a RenderPipelineSwitcher.cs where you can change fast the HDRenderPipelineAsset with different settings.

Unbenannt.JPG

Lex4art likes this.
  35. jeremedia

jeremedia

Thanks for the reply and screenshot. However, I was asking about transparency while using the "Path Tracing" override.

The docs do not state that transparency is not yet supported, but even with all possible transparency-related settings enabled, including those in your screenshot, I've yet to get transparency working.

36. Lex4art

Lex4art

Whoops, didn't noticed that was about path tracing. It's also not working for me (and glossy reflections are missing too, diffuse-only path tracing).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  37. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, Transparency wasn't supported in PathTracer, support have been added in 7.1.6

38. m0nsky

m0nsky

Just found this issue. Raytraced shadows, reflections and global illumination are enabled. It's difficult to submit through fogbugz because of the camera movements. Happens near the edge of reflecting objects.

Also, some ongoing issues (shadows disappearing/flickering) with raytraced reflections, shown in the following video. Changing the "ray length" does not affect this. Seems like one of the shadows is also getting cut in half? Reflections also seem to not render anything beyond a certain distance (turns black), the "ray length" does not affect this either.

In case anyone's wondering, realtime raytracing currently does work in VR in both multi and single pass. Here's some footage.

I'm pretty sure if HDRP (basic form, no raytracing) in DX12 performed the same as it does in DX11, this setup would be able to run the full DXR stack on 75hz (which is the refreshrate of my HMD)

I noticed there's an open PR for skinned mesh renderers in 2020.1. Will this be backported to 2019.3? Would be a lifesaver because of some issues with a third party library I'm having on 2020.1.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  39. elbows

elbows

I suspect its for 2020.1 only because Sebastien Lagarde specifically edited the title of the PR to include [2020.1] and there is no needs-backport-2019.3 tag.

It probably relies on some changes to the non-c# side of Unity that are only going to be in 2020.1, but I'm just guesstimating so always hope to be wrong about stuff like this.

40. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

After updating my project to the newest HDRP packages (version 7.1.15) and installing the newest Nvidia drivers (as today), still getting crashes on my RTX 2060 device.

d3d12: swapchain present failed (887a0005).
    d3d12: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED reason (887a0005).
    d3d12 : CreateCommittedResource 'BufferD3D12::CreateBufferResource() Buffer' (480 x 1) format 0 failed (887a0005).
    Device Memory Stats:
    Local AvailableForReservation: 2821718016, Budget: 1034944512, CurrentUsage: 2544406528, CurrentReservation: 67108864
    Non-local AvailableForReservation: 3816668108, Budget: 2484512563, CurrentUsage: 246566912, CurrentReservation: 0
    d3d12: CreateCommittedResource for buffer failed.
    (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/GfxDevice/d3d12/BufferD3D12.cpp Line: 215)

========== OUTPUTTING STACK TRACE ==================

0x00007FF7904B5CD4 (Unity) GfxDeviceD3D12Base::DrawBuffersCommon
    0x00007FF7904B544F (Unity) GfxDeviceD3D12Base::DrawBuffers
    0x00007FF79050EA6B (Unity) GfxDeviceWorker::RunCommand
    0x00007FF79051241B (Unity) GfxDeviceWorker::RunExt
    0x00007FF7905127D8 (Unity) GfxDeviceWorker::RunGfxDeviceWorker
    0x00007FF79138F5F3 (Unity) Thread::RunThreadWrapper
    0x00007FFE04537BD4 (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk
    0x00007FFE0580CED1 (ntdll) RtlUserThreadStart

41. Weidz_

Weidz_

Still cannot get more than one GI bounce in latest 2020.1 & HDRP 8.0.0, Editor crash as soon as the value in the textfield is changed

Bordeaux_Fox likes this.
  42. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Correct :)

elbows likes this.
  43. JonathanRayPollard

JonathanRayPollard

Hail, all!

I've been reading this thread for studying, and I've got most of my raytracing setup and working (I think) because of it. Thank you very much.

I wanted to check on kind of the last issue I am having and make sure I am understanding correctly.

DXR_Problem_DirectionalLight.png

In the above photo you can see that the indirect light of the directional light is being properly reflected (red reflections) in the scene.

DXR_Problem_PointLight.png

However, in this screenshot you can see that the point light is not. My question is, what are the possible issues here?

a) Are point lights supported for this?
    b) Are non-static point lights supported?
    c) Is there maybe an issue with my setup?
    d) Possibly caused by double bounce not being selected, since changing to a 2 bounce in GI causes the editor to crash?

I am running 2019.3b12 with HDRP 7.1.5.
    Windows 10 1909, i9-9900k, 32gb ram, RTX 2080

Thanks for the help! Looking forward to communicating with y'all moving forward.

44. andrzej_

andrzej_

Together we would have one completely working project as I get shadows and reflections (sometimes ...), but can't get GI to work.

45. Mark_29

Mark_29

I seem to only able to get 1 bounce as well. Anything more than that crashes Unity. Using an RTX card with newest drivers. Tried a couple of drivers.

46. Weidz_

Weidz_

JonathanRayPollard likes this.
  47. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Yeah, I just wondering how the Unity team did the realtime raytracing demo with the BMW car. Because for us the DXR is crashing and unstable and moving the camera cause ghosting artefacts.

48. JonathanRayPollard

JonathanRayPollard

Wanted to chime back in to mention that if I use the Wizard to fix the "DXR shader config"...
    upload_2019-12-2_19-53-2.png

... the High Definition RP Config is downgraded to 7.1.1 by the Wizard (or something the Wizard does). Updating the package to 7.1.6 again causes the DXR shader config to have an issue for fixing again. Thus is the endless loop.
    upload_2019-12-2_19-56-27.png

On a different matter, can anyone explain the proper usage of the shader setting for Raytracing?
    upload_2019-12-2_20-1-35.png

As others have noted in this thread, when I put it on the Raytracing rendering pass, the object completely disappears. Are we supposed to be using this setting for DXR? If not, what is the use case?

49. Lex4art

Lex4art

It requires Tier 2 for ray tracing + "Recursive rendering" to be added into volume overrides [official docs or here is my example].

Also I can confirm that small bug with HD Config package [previously mentioned here].

JonathanRayPollard likes this.
  50. JonathanRayPollard

JonathanRayPollard

Thank you, that definitely clarifies things for me. Experimenting with it, this definitely works in my current project setup having followed your directions. (That performance tho...). It is at this point that the arbitrary 50m limit kind of starts to become a pain, though I'll be steering away from some things considering the bad realtime performance (not unexpected).