Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Experimental HDRP DXR

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by SebLagarde, Apr 4, 2019.

1. rizu

rizu

Is there any estimate when DOTS Hybrid Renderer will support DXR when coupled with HDRP?

Currently DXR just doesn't get the data if provided through Hybrid.

2. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, this is under investigation, we have currently no ETA.

rizu likes this.
  3. rizu

rizu

Hi, thanks for response. Mainly trying to figure out if this is something that could be sorted out for 2019.3/.4 LTS or if it's something that would go to 2020 cycle anyway since DXR itself is still experimental on 2019.3.

But yeah, I'll just wait and see what happens, no worries :)

4. Pyromuffin

Pyromuffin

Can't search for the term "VFX" because it's too short, so yeah, unity crashes with VFX editor outputing multiple primitive types from these same graph, while RT is enabled. I submitted a bug: Case 1196005

5. newguy123

newguy123

Can we perhaps get some updated info in the 1st post, as to how to get this going with the latest and greatest beta/alpha please?

I'm downloading the 2020.1.0a11 version now. Can I just start a new scene with the HDRP template, then install the latest DXR preview package, and go through couple of settings to get it going, or its a bit more complicated than that?

6. freenomon

freenomon

I can't get raytraced shadows no matter what I do.. even with the 2020 version. I can get the ratyraced GI and AO, but not the shadows. if anyone has faced same problem and found a solution, please help me here. I'm desperate.

Also, I was told in this thread somewhere that starting with 2020, GI for skeleton mesh (charaters) will be activated, but don't see any answer from Unity after asking about it. anyone who can do raytraced shadows can get a skeletal mesh to receive soft shadows on a character in 2020 (fbx imported)?

thanks a lot.

KC

7. elbows

elbows

Keep in mind that although an alpha of 2020.1 has been around a while, most stuff being worked on for HDRP is still for the 2019.3 version. I dont think much in the way of 2020-only HDRP features have been done yet, they currently develop for that version but then backport to 2019.3.

I dont remember what was said about skinned mesh support timescales. Its not something I expect to appear any day now, although I could probably say that at any time, even if that feature actually arrives the very next day. So I can only be vague, but I would not currently wait with the anticipation that it could be very soon, it could be 6 months away for all I know!

As for shadows, I've given various advice in the past that I wont repeat again (my earlier posts are still there to read in all their tedious detail), apart from the bit where I suggest starting with Unitys own demo project and see if shadows are working for you there. The master branch of this project is for 2020.1, but there is a release/2019.3 branch that uses HDRP 7.1.2.

2019.3 branch: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SmallOfficeRayTracing/tree/release/2019.3
    2020.1 master branch: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SmallOfficeRayTracing/tree/master

I'd also say that at the moment, 2020 is not currently where the action really is for those who want to try the latest DXR improvements. HDRP version is more important right now, eg version 7.1.3 which is on github branch release/7.1.x and should work with 2019.3. That version is due out some time real soon, although they still seem to be tweaking it today.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/tree/release/7.1.x

There is always a chance that there is something in 2020.1 alpha editor, or associated 8.x versions of HDRP, which is not in 7.1.3, ie something I have overlooked making my advice wrong, but certainly when it comes to shadows and other things not working, you should not need to jump to 2020 to get this working.

8. freenomon

freenomon

thank you so much for taking the time to explain and write all this. very nice of you. I will wait for the 7.1.3 version and see if that fixes my raytraced soft shadow problem. But unless I can do raytraced softshadows and GI on a skeletal mesh for charcter animation (like I can in UE4 with no prblems), there is no use for raytracing for me in UNITY as is now. I'd rather bake using GPU progressive for backgrounds since it's much faster and accurate once baked.

thanks again!

KC

9. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi,
    fyi,
    i updated all my DXR test projects
    from
    2019.3.0b8
    to
    Unity 2019.3.0b10

there is an error for all projects

Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@7.1.2/Editor/RenderPipeline/Settings/SerializedRenderPipelineSettings.cs(58,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'SerializedScalableSetting' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

could be solved with

1) Go to your old working 2019.3.0b8 version
    2) copy the file "SerializedScalableSetting.cs.meta" (The META) from ----> \Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@7.1.2\Editor\RenderPipeline\Settings
    3) Paste it in your not working copy 2019.3.0b10 in the same location
    4) Access with file explorer, right clic the file, go to security revoke writing permissions to the file.
    5) Use unity it normally

6) Don't forget that when they resolve this issue to set to default the permissions of the meta file.

see
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ce-serializedscalablesetting-can-not-be-found

10. rizu

rizu

7.1.3 release is on github already that has a fix for this

keeponshading likes this.
  11. keeponshading

keeponshading

Aaaah. I see. Thanks.

12. newguy123

newguy123

Hmmm I'm reading the instructions on how to actually get this from github, but not sure I'm understanding what to clone....

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/tree/release/7.1.x

So all I need to do is to press the clone/download button on that exact page (without going into other branches or folders etc), then download whatever I get from that button press, and save it into my assets folder?
    Then edit my packages.json to point to this folder in my assets?

Is that it?

Any idea of when 7.1.3 will appear by itself as a preview in the editor instead of going the github route?

sendspace likes this.
  13. sendspace

sendspace

newguy123 i am wondering the same, every new hdrp take time to appear in UPM. :(

14. rizu

rizu

Not every release ends up in bintray/package manager. Afaik (Unity please correct if I'm wrong here) the main QA pass only goes through once the version release has been made and if there are showstopping issues it won't get green lighted for distribution. There has been lots of versions in past that never arrived to regular distribution.

15. elbows

elbows

Admittedly I mostly work with github versions and not the package manager, but I do often keep an eye on what release versions are available in package manager. And my memory is not the same as yours on this at all - I think release versions always end up in package manager, with maybe an exception here or there but none that I remember. There can be a lag of some days between release on github and appearing in package manager though.

I usually use github commands to get the branch/release I want. But I suspect that since they removed the use of github submodules ages ago, it may be possible for people to simply download the releases as single zip (or tar.gz) archives from the releases page and have them work:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/releases

Lex4art likes this.
  16. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

It's true, not all versions end up there. I also keep an eye on both releases and Github. You can check for yourself as every version is on GitHub but in the package manager, you will see missing versions. As rizu said they only make it if they pass QA or that's what's been said by a dev a while back. So they release on GitHub then QA tests it and if it's good then it goes to the package manager if not it just stays oh GitHub.

17. rizu

rizu

You can view packages that are in bintray here: https://bintray.com/unity/unity/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition but do note that all of them may not be cleared for automatically showing up on package manager.

If you compare this list to github's releases, you can see many versions missing here and there, sometimes most releases make it to prime time at some timespan, sometimes there goes many releases between. If you just look at the latest list you'll notice that 6.8.x never arrived to bintray, but also that many point releases aren't at bintray either.

18. elbows

elbows

Thanks for the info. I see. Some of the ones that never made it seem to be for obvious reasons, eg release date on github of 5.8.2 was the day after 5.8.1, so not surprising that 5.8.1 didnt get published on package manager. Maybe some others would have had understandable explanations for me if I had been following along properly at the time.