Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Unity Editor doesn't seem to recognize installed HDRP 12 package

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by Passeridae, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Passeridae

Passeridae

So, I've downloaded the latest 2021.2.0b4 editor from hub and opened my project from 2020.2.5f1 & HDRP 10 in it.
    It loaded successfully, but everything HDRP-related is gone. All HDRP materials are pink, their interface can't be loaded, all HDRP scripts (like HD Additional Camera Data) turned to missing scripts, HDRP Wizard is absent and there's nothing about HDRP in the project settings. All in all, it looks like there's no HDRP package in the project at all. But (!) it is marked as imported in the package manager. I've deleted it and imported again with no luck.

There are no errors related to this in the console. Just some random warnings like "Could not create a custom UI for the shader 'HDRP/Lit'." when you select an HDRP Lit material or other similar stuff.

What may be the issue?
    Thanks!

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @passeridaepc,

Could you please submit a bug report with a reproducible attached that exhibits this issue when it's being upgraded?

It might be worth a try to update to a recent version of 2020.3 and HDRP 10.4.0 first before upgrading to 2021.2 and see if that prevents the breakage.

3. Passeridae

Passeridae

@LeonhardP

After deleting the version control package, HDRP started working.
    But every object in the scene is invisible and every material preview and thumbnail is empty.
    I've tried deleting HDRP package, installing it again and then doing "edit - rendering - materials - upgrade hdrp materials to latest version", but still get this:
    upload_2021-7-21_20-34-6.png
    Apart from this, HDRP functionality seems to be restored.

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Sounds like something broke during the initial import. Did you try reimporting the project yet?

5. Passeridae

Passeridae

What I've tried so far, after updating the editor and running into the initial problem:

- deleted the "library" folder
    - deleted "version control"
    - deleted hdrp and restarted the editor (which seemed to cause the new library reimport again)
    - installed hdrp
    - upgraded materials to the latest version
    - rebooted the editor again

What do you mean by "reimporting the project" ?

At the current moment I'm getting these errors:
    upload_2021-7-21_20-47-5.png

They can be cleared, though

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

2021-07-21_19-51-43.png

Deleting the library causes the assets to be (re)imported as well. Did you try that after removing the version control package and getting HDRP running again? If not, might be worth another try.

7. Passeridae

Passeridae

No, I did it only before removing the version control package, you're right.
    Trying it again now.

8. Passeridae

Passeridae

Nope, that didn't work:
    upload_2021-7-21_21-28-41.png

9. Passeridae

Passeridae

Rebooted the project, no errors on sturt-up, bur everything is still invisible.
    Have this process btw:
    upload_2021-7-21_21-37-9.png

10. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

This process needs to finish. These are compute shader variants being compiled in the background and it may be that HDRP needs some of those to render things. This could take some time.

There is a known issue about this process that we're currently investigating but it's not clear that this is related to the issue you're experiencing.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1348455/

If the issue persists once this process has finished or if the process doesn't progress/finish, even after letting it run for a long time, please submit a bug report for it with a reproduction project attached.

As long as the ShaderCompiler executable is still using CPU, it is likely still processing.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  11. Passeridae

Passeridae

The issue is resolved.
    I had to create a new GlobalSettings asset and replace the old one here:
    upload_2021-7-22_15-44-6.png
    Then I rebooted the editor a few times and switched between the scenes a couple of times and everything works now.

Thanks for your fast responses and help!:)

LeonhardP likes this.
  12. sqallpl

sqallpl

@passeridaepc @LeonhardP

Was the HDRP Global Settings asset created automatically during the upgrade process or was the field empty? I'm wondering if there was something wrong with the automatically generated asset that caused the whole problem or if it was something else.

13. Passeridae

Passeridae

No, the field wasn't empty. There was the "GlobalSettings 3" asset. I was surprised to find out that there were already 4 of them in the folder. So I created the fifth copy, deleted all the previous ones and set the new one.

14. Ruchir

Ruchir

It does look like the scene view is in wireframe mode though o_O

15. Passeridae

Passeridae

Nope, the wireframe view, outline and selection wire were the only things that show that object do indeed exist.

16. sqallpl

sqallpl

@passeridaepc @LeonhardP

Interesting. Maybe the ones that were created automatically were broken. Maybe the upgrade process has some problems with generating this specific asset when updating from older versions of HDRP.

I will be upgrading my project from HDRP 7 to 12 and I'm wondering how it will go.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  17. Passeridae

Passeridae

The only problem that remained is that all normal maps previews turned red for some reason:
    upload_2021-7-23_16-33-43.png

18. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies