Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Asset Store should add affiliate asset selling feature

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by luniac, Oct 20, 2017.

1. luniac

luniac

Basically, lets say I create an asset for sale but the asset uses Dotween Pro for some animations.

Now I can't sell the asset without coding some adhoc solution for animating stuff in my asset, which dotween solves much more elegantly.

Unity asset store should add some affiliate type feature so I could sell my asset, and Dotween developer gets his plugin features on my plugin page as a necessary prepurchase.

Can I get a hooray!?

hasanbayat likes this.
  2. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

3. JustinCollins

JustinCollins

Hey There,

To elaborate a bit more on what @AndrewAssetStore posted, while it is not quite exactly what you are asking for, we do have an affiliate program that does let you link to other assets and receive commission for every asset that you do help sell!

We provide analytics on your links (who clicked on it, did the buy something, what did they buy, etc), and give you 5% commission for every purchase you help make. It's also free to join so I highly recommend that you join :D

4. luniac

luniac

5. luniac

luniac

its 100% not what I'm asking for lol

6. DominoM

DominoM

The usual way to handle dependencies is to include a link in the asset description. Enforcing ownership is a tricky area as the assets may not be exclusive to the Unity store. If I'd bought something direct from the creator, then had to buy it again on the store before I could buy something that used it, I wouldn't be happy.

I'm quite surprised by the Unity folks posts too, I thought the affiliate T&C didn't allow posting affiliate links on Unity properties (websites)..

7. luniac

luniac

oh yea good point about exclusivity.

I guess asset description is the best we got, although ill bet some people still miss that info before buying.

8. DominoM

DominoM

Yeah, it would be nice if it could at least say "this needs this stuff, do you want to add it to your cart?" and bonus points if it was actually linked to the affiliate program as it would be fairly clear you had influenced the purchase of the stuff.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. luniac

luniac

yea that would actually incentivize cross plugin usage, seems like a no brainer for the asset store.

Could create a whole new page type for the store, basically u click on an asset and then see all assets using that asset!

like some inheritance type thing lol

DominoM likes this.
  10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

@luniac - check out some of the playmaker action packs on the store for reference. They all point out Playmaker requirement for use. Although not what you were asking for - that is the current working process.

luniac likes this.