Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for your feedback on the platforms you use and how you use them. Let us know!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Analytics FAQs

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by sschan, Jan 21, 2015.

1. unityjingyao

unityjingyao

Unity Technologies

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

@Adam-Bailey Funnel processing can take up to 8-16 hours after we receive the event. Also please keep in mind that funnels only process those events that were received AFTER the funnel is created. So if we didn't receive any new events after you created the funnel, it would still be in processing. Can you post the syntax for your Custom Event, and the pattern match you have configured in your funnel?

3. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

It all works now thanks, Jing already emailed me explaining what was going on. The issue was that I didn't realize it would stay processing until it received an event. So I created a funnel and was then waiting for the creation processing to finish before sending anything to it, meaning the processing stage never finished.

4. djarcas

djarcas

If I have a game where there's multiple routes through (ie the user will visit rooms 1,2,3,4 in any order, and then move onto 5,6,7,8), do I have any support for non-linear funnels?

(given that one of the examples given is “Social media button clicked”, I absolutely assume this must be possible!)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Events must occur in the order they are defined in the funnel steps. There is no "or" functionality, so non-linear funnels are not possible. In your example, the funnel would be scripted for rooms 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and in that exact order.

6. djarcas

djarcas

So I can't even do If (1 | 2 | 3 | 4) as a step? Is there any reason why not? I also don't have any idea why I can't do a non-linear order, so if I have non-linear 100 levels, I can easily see the highest level people are achieving. Are there plans to extend and improve the Analytics and Funnels?

7. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@djarcas

As mentioned, "non-linear funnels" aren't something we currently offer. For one thing, it's much more complicated from a data processing side and can easily lead to messy UI. But it's not just a hard problem (solving hard problems is one of our core principles!), it's more like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I don't think a funnel is the best tool for the data you're looking for.

We've explored ideas like Critical Path Analysis, where you could take an event (level_complete = 100) and find the path(s) of events that lead up to that point. That's not something that's currently available, but if you are interested, please let us know:
    https://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/unity/suggestions?category=analytics

You can always use the Data Explorer to check the event counts (or counts of unique user) per level.

If your levels are grouped the way you described, then you could add an event to organize them that way.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Analytics.CustomEvent("level_group_one", new Dictionary<string, object>{
    2.     {"level_choice", 2}
    3. });
    5. Analytics.CustomEvent("level_group_two", new Dictionary<string, object>{
    6.     {"level_choice", 8}
    7. });
    And then in the Data Explorer, you could use the Pie Chart view to see which level is most popular for each group.

Absolutely. We are continuing to work and improve the features on the dashboard. We recently completed a major update to the funnel UI and we're looking into improving the backend piece as well.

8. AmRafay1

AmRafay1

Hi there,

I want to create a segment based on bundle id and store (amazon and googleplay). So question is do i send store info first and then create segment or first create segment and then send data?

Secondly in case of sending data first and creating segment later ->
    Do i have to manually create 10 segments for 10 bundle ids or just 1 segment with store info and bundle id?

Please advise

9. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@JohnGate

I responded to this question here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/analytics-based-on-bundle-id.500926/

The ordering doesn't really matter. You can do either, but I would probably recommend sending some data first and then creating the segment, that way you can be sure it is getting there correctly.

Most likely, you will need 10 different segments. You will need to define how you want users to fall into a segment, and this will likely be by bundle id.

AmRafay1 likes this.
  10. pavanPWL

pavanPWL

8. What happens when there is no Internet access when my user is playing?
    Our SDK caches events that are sent if the request fails for any reason(e.g. no internet connection) after it reaches the retry threshold. Once there's an internet connection, we resend the cached events.

Hello, I have question here.
    I got that unity will cache, but for how much time?
    Will the cache be removed after a particular time (or) scenario like whenever the app is closed?

11. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

12. djarcas

djarcas

Out of curiosity, as nothing appears in the patch notes, where can I keep up with the improvements and changes to the analytics/funnelling/etc ?

13. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

@djarcas Please keep an eye on pinned messages on this forum for updates.