Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Legacy Unity Analytics FAQs

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by sschan, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unityjingyao

unityjingyao

Unity Technologies

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@Adam-Bailey Funnel processing can take up to 8-16 hours after we receive the event. Also please keep in mind that funnels only process those events that were received AFTER the funnel is created. So if we didn't receive any new events after you created the funnel, it would still be in processing. Can you post the syntax for your Custom Event, and the pattern match you have configured in your funnel?

3. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

It all works now thanks, Jing already emailed me explaining what was going on. The issue was that I didn't realize it would stay processing until it received an event. So I created a funnel and was then waiting for the creation processing to finish before sending anything to it, meaning the processing stage never finished.

4. djarcas

djarcas

If I have a game where there's multiple routes through (ie the user will visit rooms 1,2,3,4 in any order, and then move onto 5,6,7,8), do I have any support for non-linear funnels?

(given that one of the examples given is “Social media button clicked”, I absolutely assume this must be possible!)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Events must occur in the order they are defined in the funnel steps. There is no "or" functionality, so non-linear funnels are not possible. In your example, the funnel would be scripted for rooms 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and in that exact order.

6. djarcas

djarcas

So I can't even do If (1 | 2 | 3 | 4) as a step? Is there any reason why not? I also don't have any idea why I can't do a non-linear order, so if I have non-linear 100 levels, I can easily see the highest level people are achieving. Are there plans to extend and improve the Analytics and Funnels?

7. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@djarcas

As mentioned, "non-linear funnels" aren't something we currently offer. For one thing, it's much more complicated from a data processing side and can easily lead to messy UI. But it's not just a hard problem (solving hard problems is one of our core principles!), it's more like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I don't think a funnel is the best tool for the data you're looking for.

We've explored ideas like Critical Path Analysis, where you could take an event (level_complete = 100) and find the path(s) of events that lead up to that point. That's not something that's currently available, but if you are interested, please let us know:
    https://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/unity/suggestions?category=analytics

You can always use the Data Explorer to check the event counts (or counts of unique user) per level.

If your levels are grouped the way you described, then you could add an event to organize them that way.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Analytics.CustomEvent("level_group_one", new Dictionary<string, object>{
    2.     {"level_choice", 2}
    3. });
    5. Analytics.CustomEvent("level_group_two", new Dictionary<string, object>{
    6.     {"level_choice", 8}
    7. });
    And then in the Data Explorer, you could use the Pie Chart view to see which level is most popular for each group.

Absolutely. We are continuing to work and improve the features on the dashboard. We recently completed a major update to the funnel UI and we're looking into improving the backend piece as well.

8. jGate99

jGate99

Hi there,

I want to create a segment based on bundle id and store (amazon and googleplay). So question is do i send store info first and then create segment or first create segment and then send data?

Secondly in case of sending data first and creating segment later ->
    Do i have to manually create 10 segments for 10 bundle ids or just 1 segment with store info and bundle id?

Please advise

9. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@JohnGate

I responded to this question here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/analytics-based-on-bundle-id.500926/

The ordering doesn't really matter. You can do either, but I would probably recommend sending some data first and then creating the segment, that way you can be sure it is getting there correctly.

Most likely, you will need 10 different segments. You will need to define how you want users to fall into a segment, and this will likely be by bundle id.

jGate99 likes this.
  10. pavanPWL

pavanPWL

8. What happens when there is no Internet access when my user is playing?
    Our SDK caches events that are sent if the request fails for any reason(e.g. no internet connection) after it reaches the retry threshold. Once there's an internet connection, we resend the cached events.

Hello, I have question here.
    I got that unity will cache, but for how much time?
    Will the cache be removed after a particular time (or) scenario like whenever the app is closed?

11. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

12. djarcas

djarcas

Out of curiosity, as nothing appears in the patch notes, where can I keep up with the improvements and changes to the analytics/funnelling/etc ?

13. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@djarcas Please keep an eye on pinned messages on this forum for updates.

14. Infernuz

Infernuz

Hello!
    Where can I find this project? Because I do not have it.

15. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@Infernuz The Raging Bots demo has since been removed, this is an old thread.

16. DoomPrinc3

DoomPrinc3

I released my game on 27th, it's the third day now and i haven't got any data since the day of game release. I have data till 26th but no data since last 60 hours?
    Please it's crucial for us to get data at this point.

17. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

18. Bonfi_96

Bonfi_96

Hey guys, couldn't find this info clearly stated so I'd better ask before implementing it into our project: how long is the events data stored for? As far as I can tell there is no time limit. Thanks!

19. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

There is no practical time limit

Bonfi_96 likes this.
  20. shashkes

shashkes

Does unity analytics work for for the Oculus go?

21. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I don't believe we have tested it specifically, but if it's on the Android platform, it should work. Are you seeing differently?

22. nareshbishtasus

nareshbishtasus

I use free version of unity and want to use event tracker into my game but since free version dont support livestream can u tell me how long i have to wait before my event data is updated in my analytic account.

23. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

It takes our system 8-16 hours to process new events. Occasionally twice that long if we are experiencing processing delays.

24. rihdus

rihdus

Is anyone having issues when requesting data using the raw data export? Every request I've sent since last Wednesday has resulted in a failed attempt.

25. ChristophVR

ChristophVR

Same here, and just noticed this thread:

We are currently experiencing issues with Raw Data Export, apologies for the inconvenience. I will post updates here when they become available.​

26. rihdus

rihdus

Looks like it's been fixed. The thread just hasn't been updated.

27. shashkes

shashkes

Regarding point 8: "What happens when there is no Internet access when my user is playing?"
    Does the even get send even if the application has already been close?
    Does the cash get saved between game sessions?

28. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

The events are indeed cached locally and get sent the next time the app is launched with Internet connectivity.

29. Arlekine

Arlekine

Kochava attributes integration. I need to track ways of users installs: ad, direct and others. I use Kochava for this. Is there any ways to get this information in unity analytics? I know that i can do this for GA, but I prefer unity.
    Thanks

30. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Not familiar with the product, but if it exposes this information at run time through an API interface, you could consider using Custom Events https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsCustomEvents.html

31. StJester

StJester

Hello, everyone.
    I've got a question about cross-platform games. Will Analytics handle same player playing on different platform? Let's say Android and WebGL. We would like to have this player as a single element in Events dashboard. In other words, will be the Unity Analytics Player ID same cross-platform.

32. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, the Analytics user id is per platform, so there isn't any way to track the user across multiple platforms with this system.

33. StJester

StJester

Thanks for answering my question. I've got another one. Can I get user id before it is sent to Analytics, so I can use it in my admin panel?

34. StJester

StJester

Can I set remote settings for a segment of users?

35. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

36. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, you can provide specific settings to specific segments:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsRemoteSettingsCreating.html

I would also encourage you to check out Remote Config, which is the evolution of Remote Settings. It's a more editor-based workflow, so there isn't a dashboard component to create settings (though there is a REST API). But it is separate from the Analytics service, so the segmentation is much faster.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/welcome-to-unity-remote-config.710885/

37. luckycarp_vke

luckycarp_vke

I have a CI solution setup with team city that builds for ios and android. however checking my livestream, event manager, and data explorer tabs only shows events from windows editor runs on my local machine, looking at the agents it appears my project keeps unlinking in the editor (though in the CI I run unity from the commandline without any user credentials)

Notes:
    • I'm one user on a project with multiple people
    • I'm neither the owner nor the manager of the project license
    • the project license has pro
    • my account does not have pro
    • I'm using Unity version 2018.3

38. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You mention "appears", how are you checking? You do need to be an Owner/Manager to enable/disable services. One good way to see if a build is properly sending events is by using Charles Proxy https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002917683-Using-Charles-Proxy-with-Unity

39. luckycarp_vke

luckycarp_vke

I helped setup the initial services for the project, we have core and custom events from the windows editor appearing in the mentioned windows.

Do you know if building the game from the commandline without login credentials and/or serial # of a user on the project would cause this?

This charles proxy tool looks useful all around thanks for the link.

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  40. StJester

StJester

Can i somehow export members of a segment?

41. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

That is not possible through the Dashboard. You could use Raw Data Export though, a Pro only license feature, and download the raw events into a local database.

42. DreamPower

DreamPower

Question: does Unity Analytics support Lumin OS (Magic Leap), or will it soon? The FAQ in this thread and the documentations haven't been updated since 2017, so I'm wondering if that platform has been added.

43. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I will check

44. Lad-Ty

Lad-Ty

Hello, I would like to ask, is something wrong with Unity Analytics in general these days? I was reading a number of topics here and as far as I can tell, data tend to be processed at most 16 hours after they are sent. Sadly, on Oct15 we released our game, and the last day we see some data for is Oct14. Everything else is to this day still marked as "Day in progress" :-O It really is not of a great help to us when everything stops working right when the game goes public, such a horrible timing. So I would like to ask, if Unity Analytics are actually operational now, and when we will be able to actually make any use of them, the worked fine for our project before that. Thank you

45. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, data is currently delayed, which unfortunately happens about once a week. Data is not lost (as far as I know), just delayed. We are looking to implement a new architecture this year to improve this.

arumiat likes this.
  46. Deleted User

Deleted User

@JeffDUnity3D Why do all the projects we create have Analytics "on" by default even if you don't plan on using it nowadays?

47. OreoSplitter

OreoSplitter

The 100 events an hour limitation, are cached events included in that?

48. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

May I ask, why are you asking? Are you expecting to be sending many cached events?

49. inakiktp

inakiktp

Hi there,

I was thinking on caching events for about 3 months and afterwards, connect the device to the internet. Would I get all the cached events or only the first 100 events due to the limit per hour?

Also, this may be a bit of a silly question, but is there a problem integrating Analytics on a project on Unity 2019.3.0b11? The project seems to enable Analytics, but when I go to the Dashboard, it says the integration is incomplete, which is odd since the process is very straightforward and I got it working on other test projects.

Thanks.

Edit: I exported a package and created a new project on Unity 2019.3.0f5 and the Analytics got linked straightaway. Don't know what the problem was.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  50. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We send cached events in batches, so you should be OK. I would suggest testing first however for a shorter time to confirm it works as expected for you.

inakiktp likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.