Search Unity

Official Unity 2021.2 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Oct 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foriero

Foriero

DanarKayfi likes this.
  2. RemitPrime

RemitPrime

Volume editor is not working.

Version: 2021.2.0.f1
    Operating System: Windows 11 x64
    Project: HDRP Demo Scene

demo1.png demo2.png

3. arcade_jon

arcade_jon

TEMPORARY FIX FOR Unity 2021.2.0f1 editor delay on Apple silicon Macs:

Go to Player Settings -> Windows/Mac/Linux tab and deselect auto graphics API. Then make sure you add OpenGLCore and remove Metal from the list. Means you won't be using Metal in editor (so no ability to see VFX graph stuff etc) but at least the delay is gone (FYI - the VFX will still be present in your builds for other platforms - eg iOS).

Still haven't worked out a fix for the inability for using mp4s in the project. This version was really not ready for tech release :(

DietPippu likes this.
  4. spacepluk

spacepluk

I reverted back to 2021.2.0b16 until these things are fixed. But now Unity Hub doesn't install the Android NDK (at least on macOS).

@LeonhardP any chance someone can take a look at that?

5. rizorpolder

rizorpolder

Attached Files:

6. nigelmerlin

nigelmerlin

All your wonderful unity updates are absolutely amazing but a few things that I am not happy about, I think we as humans need to set the record straight with unity and it would be great if unity team could isten to our requests once or twice in a lifetime, Here it goes : As a beginner I find that unity is not configured for an easy experience for beginners to work with. It's been more than two years than I am trying unity out and I was never able to get anything out of it. I keep on struggling and struggling. I update my unity versions everything thinking that it would get better but it didnt in many aspects. With every updates I have to manually spend weeks reconfiguring the editor to be able to use it.
    You got to make our lives easier and for everyone of us. We do not have much time to waste to manually fix unity errors.

I have been struggling for years with unity, but unity always remain stuck with project reimporting loops, hold on messages...etc ...Is someone ever going to come up with a solution to resolve that S*** ?
    Unity is not making it easier for anyone of us, I am wasting all my time searching for fixes on the internet when I could already be working on my project.
    Come on you got to fix these project loops, freezes,hold on messages...etc Everytime I click in the interface I get a hold on message .. This is not even funny. Is this how it works at unity

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  7. nigelmerlin

nigelmerlin

Also I wanted to make a complaint about unity 2021 2.0 ugly interface....Oh how I prefered the old interface...Now everything I got to do is searching and searching for all the tools

8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Related discussion thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/build-time-taking-almost-a-day-urp.1133605/

There's a known issue that might be related: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1369680/

If this doesn't seem to fit your use case, please submit a bug report so we can investigate your case.

Thanks for the reports, we'll look into them.

I've reached out to the team to have a look.

This case has been reopened and is being investigated. It would be helpful if you could capture dump files as described in this post the next time you experience this crash and submit them via a bug report so we can have a look at your specific case.

Could you please submit a bug report for this issue with a reproduction project attached?

9. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

I like the new look-n-feel of the scene view, but previous layout for local/global and pivot/center transformation modes as a buttons were much better. Now I have to pump up my left indexer muscle way too often to click through new context menu:

upload_2021-11-1_21-7-19.png

This is not cool, please change it back - you got plenty of space to make it all separate buttons.

* edit: minor corrections

10. Crazy34

Crazy34

Hello All.

I am also encountering this error. I submitted a ticket and tried many mind-blowing methods. This includes Clean Format. This bug has not been fixed since 2021.2.b14. It is meaningless for this problem to occur in some systems while working on different systems. This is no longer my problem and please find a solution to this before it goes into a flow to the detriment of our company. Also 2021.2.0f1 did not surprise me again and still the same error.

For ticket:
    Issue ID: 1372327

LeonhardP likes this.
  11. KingKRoecks

KingKRoecks

It doesn't match. Should be pretty obvious that Rider + Editor isn't the same as Wifi and exported.

I'll enter a bug report when you prove to me it will be worth my time to enter it. You have a partnership with Rider, yes? I know you two have advertised for each other. Clearly this should be on someone's day-job to confirm a major version is compatible. I've told you it happens, now confirm it.

I've downgraded to 2021.1 to continue working on my game, which is a much better use of my time.

12. bitinn

bitinn

Your best bet is the Z and X shortcut.

13. crafTDev

crafTDev

This happened with me recently too and I asked about it on the Discord server and someone got really snappy with me when I couldn't figure out why this was happening instead of just trying to help me understand my misunderstanding.

Thanks,
    crafTDev

14. vadimtihonyuk

vadimtihonyuk

Attached Files:

15. mrthebino

mrthebino

Anyone else has problems with occlusion culling in the new version? It worked in 2021.1 but I don't get it to work in the new version:

16. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report for this? Failed assertions should be investigated and this is not a known issue as far as I can tell.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Previously used 2020.3.20, but now it’s changed to 2021.2, this problem occurs, and it’s not a suggestion, it’s an error.
    error:Exception: OBSOLETE - Providing Android resources in Assets/Plugins/Android/res was removed, please move your resources to an AAR or an Android Library. See "AAR plug-ins and Android Libraries" section of the Manual for more details.

18. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

https://docs.unity3d.com/2021.2/Documentation/Manual/UpgradeGuide20212.html

19. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The team was able to reproduce this issue, thanks for flagging! Installing the editor first and then using the add modules feature (right-click on the module row in the installs tab > Add Modules) and selecting SDK&NDK should work.

20. Nest_g

Nest_g

21. ferretnt

ferretnt

After a test port of our project, there's an issue with terrain rendering and orthographic cameras. The basemap shader is incorrectly getting selected for some terrain patches when they are nowhere near basemapDistance from the camera. Checking in frame debugger confirms this.

Minimal repro project (and video) posted in bug report 1377510. We'd be really grateful for a resolution because we can't move to 2021 until our minimap is working.

Thanks for all your hard work getting this release out so early.

LeonhardP likes this.
  22. DomeCreator

DomeCreator

Hello

I got an issue on including core.hlsl after upgrading to URP on 2021.2.0f1.
    I created my new shader and tried to include core library but it's still can't open it.

I see Unity doesn't searched it at the right place as you can see here :
    upload_2021-11-4_10-41-26.jpeg

Trying to change the path to the right place cause more and more issues like that one.

Bug report N°1378157

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  23. NashBits

NashBits

Some great new stuff, and the complaints will always be louder than the congrats, but...

+1 for this being completely unusable on Mac.

Also much smaller +1 for the center/pivot and global/local buttons being a regression - used to take 1 click and now takes 2.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    crafTDev and Joc36 like this.
  24. altepTest

altepTest

missing menu.png
    Can't upgrade materials to URP, the Edit > Render Pipeline > Universal Render Pipeline. menu is missing

what to do?

25. You're probably looking for this.

LeonhardP and altepTest like this.
  26. altepTest

altepTest

yes awesome. works great!

27. AntonAndev

AntonAndev

Installed 2020.2.1 and again same problems. It is hard to rename objects even in the new clean project. In the console logs not appear immediately. Please test it on macOS Monterrey on Macbook with M1 chip.

laxersaz likes this.
  28. patrickjarnfelt

patrickjarnfelt

I second @Andevity. Laggy inputs and for me, it also completely crashes when navigating the project view on macOS Monterrey on Macbook Air with M1 chip 2020.2.1f1 didn't help!

29. OrlovskyConsultingGbR

OrlovskyConsultingGbR

I must say, the latest release of Unity is quite unstable, i have simple project, without any custom made assets and still manage to crash.
    Its strange that Unity as engine introduce such instability , i expect and hope that newer fixes would be provide and we would have again a stable engine.

Protagonist likes this.
  30. nico_st_29

nico_st_29

Well this is not a LTS release. If you use 2020.3 LTS it's relatively stable apart from some minor issues with MacOS related to the graphics API (Metal) lately.

From the next 2020.3 LTS it will be stable.

31. OrlovskyConsultingGbR

OrlovskyConsultingGbR

This line can cause problem
    GetComponent<UnitMovementController> ().addPlayerUnit (playerUnitObj);

Case: a GameObject through script get component attached , then component have a reference to a non monobehavior object , then component receives a non mono behavior object at a run time and then uncaught exceptions happens and Unity engine crash happens .

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  32. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

It's neither alpha or beta but it behaves like this. Unity has a serious QA problem but let's not talk about this, because it's outside comfort zone.

33. Tomasz_Pasterski

Tomasz_Pasterski

Hello,
    Was using 2020.3.12f1 LTS version on my project and everything is ok, when i hit any script in my project Visual Studio 2019 16.11.5 start and open all scripts in my project.
    Yesterday i see Unity released version 2021.2 so i install it in Unity hub to, copy my project and everything works except Visual Studio, when i hit any script in my project VS open only that script and, can work in the Unity but there is bar in the background:

upload_2021-11-6_13-4-34.jpeg

Things i done already:
    1. Unninstalled Unity entirely along with Hub and Visual Studio 2019
    2. Install clean Hub, both version of unity i mention above and Visual Studio 2019.
    Problem remain.

3. Delete library in project i run using newest Unity version to rebuild that library.
    Problem remain.....

Any suggestion can help, thx in advance.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  34. ashtorak

ashtorak

I have been using this package: https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...sets-first-person-character-controller-196525
    for first person movement with 2021.1, but now after going to 2021.2 suddenly the rotation with the mouse was kind of laggy. After a while I found a fix by changing update mode in input settings to "Process Events In Dynamic Update". But I am not sure what exactly has happened here. Has someone else seen this issue?
    I think it only happens with this package. Even if you just install it in a new project. But I haven't done too much research. I only tried some of the Cinemachine samples and they were fine with fixed update mode. But they are all third person controllers.
    Also, it just seems to impact rotation, not translation.

[Edit] Looks like I am not the only one: https://forum.unity.com/threads/say-hello-to-the-new-starter-asset-packages.1123051/page-4

35. edy_br

edy_br

cloud layer.png
    the cloud layer overrride is redering in front of everything.
    is this a bug or something i did wrong?

36. SpockBauru

SpockBauru

37. PutridEx

PutridEx

Known bug

38. koirat

koirat

If only unity had their pet project all this release problems would not happen.

SMHall and pm007 like this.
  39. FrailQuail

FrailQuail

Is the input lag in the editor a known issue? I'll be typing values into the inspector and it will lag 1-3 characters behind and even throw tantrums such as not wanting to register enter/return until the editor catches up to fill in the variables. M1 Mac 8 gigs. just running the editor and vs code

40. nico_st_29

nico_st_29

Yes it is. Should be solved in 2021.2.2f1

41. ashworth

ashworth

I'm having this issue since upgrading my project. The pink areas are all on the Unity Editor UI, i have no idea what caused it.

upload_2021-11-7_7-49-54.png

42. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello,

I have other thoughts to express right now. How did Unity release such a buggy version for their main platform (Mac), or did I not get the memo that Mac is not the main platform anymore; it's mind-boggling? Sort of unrelated to this version but I reverted back to 2021.1 (the latest versions) after this (and other compatibility issues) and my WebGL project is taking TWICE AS LONG to build with absolutely no significant change to the project, how is this possible?

Thanks,
    crafTDev

43. spokrock

spokrock

I'm also having this annoying issue as well with 2021.2.1f1

44. StefanStrategis

StefanStrategis

Hi Unity, @LeonhardP,
    First off, thanks for your hard work. This new version is great!
    I'm not sure if this is the right place. But I wanted to report that an issue marked as fixed is not or no longer fixed in 2021.2.0f1 and 2021.2.1f1

Using UnityWebRequest with forced gzip compression does not work in Editor (and presumably Windows builds), but does work on other platforms (WebGL). This makes testing requests in editor quite difficult.

Issue: 1343274
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/unitywebrequest-fails-on-windows-if-gzip-compression-is-used

Hope you guys are able to fix this, thanks!

LeonhardP likes this.
  45. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report for this issue with a reproduction project attached?

The issue has been fixed on the HDRP package side: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Graphics/pull/5910

The fix will get backported to the 2021.2 Editor in one of the next vendoring updates. You can update the package manually if you don't want to wait for that: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Graphics#modifying-package-source

Thanks for the kind words! It looks like the fix was backported to 2019.4 and 2020.3 but not to 2021.2 after originally landing in 2022.1. I have asked the team to look into this.

46. FDMpro

FDMpro

ok in new 2022.2.1 all of the move tools got into problem and not showing properly.
    I found out if we disable Gizmo Toggle in editor they will work fine.

Occuros likes this.
  47. LeonhardP likes this.
  48. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

49. crafTDev

crafTDev

Where is the update for these issues, I thought it would be released already?

Thanks,
    crafTDev

50. StefanStrategis

StefanStrategis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.