Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Unity 2021.1 Performance Overview

Discussion in '2021.1 Beta' started by Peter77, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hello everybody, here we go again with another performance overview update :)

Today I ran the performance tests of my game with Unity 2021.1.0a2 and 2018.1.9f2. I present the results below, just like I did before, during older beta cycles.

According to my test, 2021.1.0a2 is slower than 2018.1, which is still the fastest Unity version with my project. I profiled all builds listed in the graphs below during the same session.

You can run the test using the project attached to the following bug-report:
    (Case 1108597) Project to find performance regressions and bugs

The indoor first-person shooter I'm working on features an automated performance test. It works like this:
    • Camera is placed at a defined position in the scene
    • Camera makes a 360 degree rotation around the Y-axis within 20 seconds (slowly rotating around y)
    • Every second the test captures the average CPU frame time of the last second
    The game runs just like it would normally do, but the camera/player does not move and the enemy AI in unable to see the player.

The performance test measures the "base-line" of the game basically (rendering, shadows, realtime lighting, physics, audio, NavMesh, UI, game code). If an actual gamer plays the game, more things are going to happen, which is missing in the test, such as visual and sound effects when firing weapons, additional AI to hunt the player and more navigation pathing.

I run this test in a Standalone Windows 64bit (Mono) Player:
    • 2018 = .NET3.5
    • 2020 = .NET4.x
    I've also enabled "Incremental GC" on 2019.

The following Physics settings are applied:
    • Physics.autoSyncTransforms=false
    • Physics.autoSimulate=true
    • Physics2D.autoSyncTransforms=false
    • Physics2D.autoSimulate=false
    The resolution is set to fullscreen 320x240 (D3D11) to make sure the bottleneck isn't GPU. The game uses the built-in deferred renderer.

The y-axis represents the average CPU time in milliseconds, how long "one frame took". The x-axis represents the sample points while the camera makes its 360° rotation. Each test runs for 20 seconds, one sample every second, thus 20 samples for each test. Fewer milliseconds (vertical axis) indicate better performance.

I profile each build three times and the graphs below display the minimum sample value (best performance) of these three profiling runs. I profile multiple times, because it improves the overall robustness of the test. In the past I only profiled a build once, but it caused that things like OS activity sometimes affected the timings and the overall graph was a bit more spiky.

scene_4_3.png

scene_5_4.png

scene_6_8.png

I run each test three times and use the minimum value at each sample for the graph. So the graph represents the best performance of these three runs. The reason why I perform the tests three times is to reduce the error of OS activity that might affect the performance.

These issues are probably not reproducible if you're running the game on high-end hardware. Please use a rig similar to the hardware I used to submit the bug-report.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I feel that for graphs like this to matter, we should see more near term results on the same graph instead of just comparing against what was once fastest. That 2018.1 is not feasible platform to use for many as there's no support for it now and haven't been in years.

IMHO it would be nicer to see comparison against 2018.4 LTS, 2019.4 LTS and latest 2020.1 + 2020.2 beta on same graph.

3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You manually change to .NET4.x on 2020+? I think it defaults to .NET Standard 2.0 nowadays. I'd like perf tests to use whatever defaults these engines set for us as that's basically what Unity "recommends" for us.

Peter77 likes this.
  4. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

His point is performance rot, not usability.

Garen_, forestrf, akuno and 8 others like this.
  5. adamgolden

adamgolden

I'll take the 1ms overhead :) ..good to know that's all it is - thanks @Peter77 - and looking forward to hearing how the test with .NET Standard 2.0 goes if you do one, as that's what I use.

6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If "what was once fastest" isn't the benchmark for performance, then what is? :)

I guess the option would be to accept a steady performance drop, year after year. Which means, it goes undetected that recent Unity releases might be significantly slower, if the benchmark isn't the fastest release.

Because of that reason I should lower the bar and accept the performance drop? o_O

I don't know if this would do any of us a favor in the long run. It would probably encourage Unity Technologies to care even less about these things, "Because who cares?!".

However, the point you made is excellent. It shows that Unity Technologies are unable to fix performance regressions in a timely manner, where "timely manner" really means a 2-3 years time frame so far.

I wouldn't have to rely on an unsupported version in the first place, if they would just fix such issues faster (or at all).

That's actually what I'm trying to achieve with these performance overview thread, right? I want them to fix the regressions, so that I can use a new and supported Unity version as benchmark instead! :)

I did this from time to time. The general trend is "every version other than 2018.1 is slower":
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-2020-1-performance-overview.845506/page-2#post-6103425

Hmm, not that I know of.

100%

All my "Performance Overview" posts are related to performance only. They serve to show Unity Technologies when I open an existing project in a newer Unity version that it runs slower.

I'm fully aware that LTS releases should be the better option for stability, or that TECH releases could come with improved usability, but that's not what the performance overview posts are about.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  7. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

My point was more of that for me it's pointless to know that a version which practically was never production ready is this much faster + I'd really love to see actual true comparison between major Unity releases. You have all the data in spreadsheets already so it shouldn't need much effort to put at least previous LTS releases in the graph, no?

As long as Unity has done the TECH stream + LTS thing it's pretty much been the same as treating everything but LTS version as previews as TECH streams have super short "support" cycle. I personally couldn't care less how some individual old TECH or beta release performed faster than current version but I'd really love to see the regression against LTS or some other "proper" releases. Only tech / betas perf I really care about are the current ones as they shape the upcoming LTS. But of course this is just my POV.

I do appreciate you doing these tests, just trying to tell how it could give more data to people watching these threads. Just opening one of these threads now doesn't really tell if there's been any regression to say, previous LTS unless you open your previous threads and try to guesstimate the values from graphs.

Peter77 and florianhanke like this.
  8. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

As additional thought, since this benchmark really uses old built-in renderer which hasn't practically been developed in years it could be nice to see if someone did similar URP / HDRP benchmark to see how the perf progressed with these using the latest release/verified packages. I bet you'd see quite a lot more variance there (and probably better perf on newer Unity versions too, not just regressions).

9. Deozaan

Deozaan

I have to agree that the graph would be more interesting/useful to see not only how it compares to the fastest previous version, but how it compares to recent versions as well.

It might be nice to see the fastest version, the most recent two LTS versions (e.g. 2018.4.x and 2019.4.x), and possibly the previous/current TECH release (e.g. 2020.1.x) if appropriate, all in one chart.

That will give us a better idea of the overall trajectory of the Editor's speed over time. Is it getting closer to the ideal/fastest previous speed as each subsequent version is released? Or is it getting even slower than previous releases?

With only the latest benchmarks compared to the fastest, this context is missing and it is hard to know if Unity is improving or getting worse.

But I realize that in suggesting this, I'm not the one who has to do the extra work. So even if you decide to keep things how they are, I appreciate you making these posts! I certainly follow them with interest every time one crops up.

LooperVFX, Peter77 and rz_0lento like this.
  10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Maybe an idea to have the bench mark in a web data base, where everyone can test on their own machine and submit the results.

a bit like geekbench does

11. FakeByte

FakeByte

I don't see the point in such a benchmark too be honest.
    Engines and games evolve and implement more features that make it run slower, while hardware manufacturers release faster hardware. This is how our industry is since the first video games came out.

If you could somehow disable all new features and benchmark it, then that would actually be more meaningful. Maybe when unity is shipping more parts of the engine as packages this might be doable with disableing packages.

12. POY1

POY1

I really aprecciate you taking the time to do this @Peter77

Few days ago, I upgraded my (android) project from 2019.2 to 2019.4 LTS, just to see that the perfomance dropped by 30%-40% in testing devices! Went back to 2019.2 and the problem was solved, so definately something is wrong with newer unity versions.

I agree that it would be nice to see comparison against 2018.4 LTS, 2019.4 LTS, to see if there is any perfomance improvement compared to the LTS versions.

Have a nice day!

13. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I agree to this as well :)

So far I just didn't think of this as a service for the community. By the way, I did this on multiple occasions on request: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-2020-1-performance-overview.845506/page-2#post-6103425

Deozaan likes this.
  14. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It's a great idea, but the "benchmark" is actually a complete first person shooter game that runs on its own for these tests. Unfortunately I can't make the project public.

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What new features?

goncalo-vasconcelos and Peter77 like this.
  16. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

That's unfortunately not that simple.

The project uses deferred rendering, which isn't available in URP at the time of writing. Plus, the last time I checked URP forward, it caused all sorts of light-flicker issues in this project. A few days ago, I tested URP for a different project and found various shadow issues. Took me less than a minute. Not sure how all this can actually pass QA, but that's a story for another book. :)

I haven't tried HDRP though.

In either case, I would need to recreate all the custom shaders, postprocessing, etc which is why I wrote it's not that simple.

The game isn't GPU bound too, I perform all tests in 320x240px.

However, the rendering side of the game is also really simple. The last time I checked with a Profiler, the built-in renderer appeared slightly slowe in newer Unity releases. The regression does not seem to come from rendering (entirely).

Starsmiao likes this.
  17. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I repeated the test with .NET Standard 2.0, it doesn't make a different performance wise. It would have been so awesome, if suddenly 2021 would've outperformed 2018 :)
    scene_4_3.png

scene_5_4.png

scene_6_3.png

DeltaCygniLabs and adamgolden like this.
  18. POY1

POY1

Hello again, I just spent arround 14 hours doing a lot of tests, this is what I can say:

1. Profilers tend to show perfomance improvements with each newer unity version, but when building to devices, we actually get a perfomance drop. (tested with android devices only)

2. Unity 2019 LTS is a FPS nightmare, if you are using that version I recomend to downgrade to 2019.2 or upgrade to 2020.1 and use URP if possible.

3. URP gives a huge GPU perfomance improvement (and when I say huge, I mean HUGE) but as the CPU stays the same, FPS doesn't increase (atleast with my project).

4. Unity 2018.1 haves a really good perfomance, as @Peter77 shows in his graphs, but I somehow got a better perfomance during the tests using the latest 2019.2 version, wich is 2019.2.21, keep in mind that this can be due to me optimitzing the game for the past 3 months, using 2019.2.13. (so it could be that the game is "shaped" for 2019.2) It would be cool if someone could test this with their project and see if they also get better perfomance with 2019.2.21. (and yes, I was using the built-in render pipeline for both the 2018 and 2019 tests)

Have a nice day!

19. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

I always see these performance comparison topics, they are very good for showing the evolution of unity.

Peter's work is incredible, but it would be great to have some standardized test created by the community, something that everyone could test (because of the different hardware), and that it was possible to reuse for various versions.

For example: create a project that could test each section of the unit (Physics, animation, Used RAM, Script, and FPS averages) That would be cool ... it doesn't even have to be a real game, just a simulation of a possible game, with textures, animation and things happening ... it would already be an excellent basis for comparison (especially if it includes the SRPs):)

JesOb likes this.
  20. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

By the community? Why?

These tests are frankly Unity's responsibility. If they want to pay people to design and do the tests for them, (I mean, I'd be all for them hiring Peter77), then that's fine, but otherwise Unity should be doing the testing.

When you go to a restaurant as a customer, is it your responsibility to organise taste testing sessions so the chef can improve his food?

Garen_, LooperVFX, joshcamas and 3 others like this.
  21. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

But unity does tests. the point is that these tests are not public.
    as stated above, some more general way of measuring publisher performance over time would be nice ... that would be nice. And if it was done by the community (if someone wants to do it) it would be better because that way we would have more comparison data.

Of course. all this if anyone wants to do it, I almost never do performance tests myself, just performance comparisons of what I can use in the next projects (which is feasible for use):p

22. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If Unity does the tests and sees the performance rot and they do nothing about it... then what purpose will the public community tests serve?

More opportunities for the community to be told "we hear you" and then have nothing happen?

23. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Unity does not have all the hardware/ software combinations out there.
    it simply too many variables to be able to test all internally.

And there are many chefs who think they are amazing cooks until Gordon Ramsay enters the kitchen :)

24. Deozaan

Deozaan

Sounds like something that the new Open Project could be adapted for.

25. 00christian00

00christian00

The LTS is just a gimmick. I had to upgrade to 2020 because since around the latest 2019.3 through the current LTS the number of crash, slow down and issues has skyrocketed. 2020 seem more stable than LTS so draw your conclusions.

phobos2077 likes this.
  26. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Either way, only LTS get support for more than few months of support which makes it the only real release in my books.

If you had those issues since 2019.3, yes they will probably be in 2019.4 LTS too if nobody else noticed and reported them (did you?).

27. 00christian00

00christian00

Some of them were already reported months ago, some are very hard to reproduce and some is just the editor that become suddenly slow for no reason.
    One for example is explained here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/lots-of-crashing-using-burst-collections.964442/#post-6395871
    After I replied I got more crashes, still fewer then with burst, but more then old 2019.3 versions.

2020 is more stable for me, although I find the performance of asset db v2 still slower than v1( main reason I didn't switch till now).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  28. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Burst is kinda special beast also as it goes under DOTS umbrella and there's no DOTS development on 2019 cycle anymore, they've moved to 2020+ already.

29. Kamyker

Kamyker

@Peter77 have you tried il2cpp in any tests since 2018.1?

30. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Yes I did, IL2Cpp release mode performed slightly better than Mono if I remember correctly. I don't remember what version(s) I tested, it's been too long ago.

The reason why I haven't switched to IL2Cpp is mostly awful build times and because I started all tests with Mono. But it'd probably make sense to switch to IL2Cpp, since that's now the preferred runtime to release a game.

However, I think I'm through with all these performance reports for good, three years is enough and I really don't care anymore.

31. Deozaan

Deozaan

First Brackeys, and now Peter77?

2020 sucks!

jiraphatK, Neonage, dzamani and 2 others like this.
  32. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Thanks for all your time and effort on this peter77. It is a shame you haven't been able to show us a graph where a new unity build is at least as performant as an old one but i suppose that is just par for the course these days.

33. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Hope everything's well Peter, and at the very least, please know that the Unity community appreciates the work you've put in all these years.

34. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Yes, everything is fine. I just lost interest in this whole performance dance. I think I better spend my time on things I actually can change for a better. :D

35. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

But will you keep posting bug reports? After all:
    upload_2020-10-31_16-42-28.png

36. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I wish I wouldn't have to, but since most stuff I touch in Unity falls apart, I can't imagine stop posting bugs.

I'm pretty sure they added something like this to keep me engaged ;)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void UnityEditor.Initialize()
    2. {
    3.     if (username == "Peter77")
    4.         Invoke("CrashInternal", Random.Range(60, 60*60*8));
    5. }

37. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I know that this probably feels like beating an already dead horse for you. I think for you to feel invigorated about this work, you would have had to seen the fruits of that labor. In essence the newer editor releases would have snappier performance, feel like less of a chore to use. We're not seeing that happen. Either the engine has grown to large to manage something like this, or well, it's not a priority because it doesn't affect the bottom line of acquiring new users and charging "premium" users for assistance and services.

I will add this. You are the ONLY Unity developer doing this for the entire user community. At least the only that I've seen to document the issues this thoroughly. I always consult your efforts and forum threads when I'm even close to considering a new beta or even an upgraded LTS. You have been the "lighthouse" so to speak, that has always warned me off of upgrading to a slower, lower performing editor. The depressing downside to this is, I always find myself really wanting to roll back to 2017.4, but I can't. I'm sure there is zero support for updated exports, etc.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  38. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I believe 2021.1, perhaps even 2020.2, are their "make things fast" releases. They do work on it, but I'm pretty sure it's not because of my efforts.

I just saw they even published a blog-post about it:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/11/09/the-road-to-2021-the-performance-optimization-team/

Oh wow, thanks for the kind words :)

phobos2077, JamesArndt and adamgolden like this.
  39. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

From my various conversations with Unity people, I can assure you that your efforts are much appreciated on their end as well as ours!

PS: You are explicitly mentioned in that blog post. ;-)

phobos2077, BYD, NotaNaN and 3 others like this.
  40. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Yes I'm aware of it, Unity staff wrote/said this multiple times, here in the forums and in private conversations.

LOL indeed, I should really start to pay more attention to what I post.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    phobos2077, BYD, Squize and 3 others like this.
  41. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

For the record, I am happy to see such community effort being appreciated:

Good job Peter77 :cool:

Peter77 likes this.
  42. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Hey a long time ago, in a galaxy far away that's what these forums were all about. It was THE place to go to find answers, to have a helpful developer lend an ear and a hand, to find code snippets. It felt like a small, tight-knit, exclusive club...but nothing can ever stay that way. We didn't really have anyone digging into performance of the editor itself, but as @Peter77 will or can attest to, we didn't have the problem of a slow editor prior to Unity 5.xxx. Heck, I spent quite some time bemoaning the loss of Beast lightmapping back in those days. That's a story for another day though.

Krajca, Cromfeli and AcidArrow like this.
  43. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I couldn't let it rest like this, so... here is an update with all your feedback added to it.

All builds tested in the same session. I profiled each build three times and the graphs below display the minimum sample value (best performance) of these three profiling runs. I profiled multiple times, because it improves the overall robustness of the test.

Settings changed as per your feedback to:

All:
    • Scripting Backend = IL2CPP
    • API Compatibility Level = .NET Standard 2.0
    • C++ Compiler Configuration = Master
    All except 2018.4:
    • Use Incremental GC = On (does not exist in 2018.4)

scene_4_3.png

scene_5_4.png

scene_6_8.png

44. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

... and to have closure, I repeated the test with "Incremental GC" turned off, since this was the single difference between Player Settings of these builds.

Turns out Incremental GC is that additional cost. With Incremental GC turned off, newer Unity versions are only marginal slower (0.2ms?) than the 2018 series.

From a performance point of view, it seems it's still worth to optimize for GC then. Basically aim for 0 per frame gcalloc's, then you don't need to enable Incremental GC and don't have a steady 0.5ms cost (in my case), which you can invest in something else.

scene_4_3.png

scene_5_4.png

scene_6_8.png

qmqz, forestrf, stonstad and 29 others like this.
  45. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

46. Deozaan

Deozaan

Thanks for your amazing work! It was very much appreciated while it lasted!

47. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Great detective work! I suppose it raises the question of whether this constant overhead is expected?

Peter77 likes this.
  48. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

For the Incremental GC? I believe it is, and it's the reason why I NOPED when I read about it having overhead.

IMO I think you should still aim for 0 garbage generated and not use incremental GC.

I think incremental GC is more for situations where you messed up, and you are generating way more garbage than you should, and maybe ticking this will bring you reasonable performance. And that's fine.

But I'm afraid that the real reason Unity implemented this, is so that every time we complain about one of their own APIs generating garbage (a very common occurrence sadly), they can now tell us "just enable incremental GC" and not have to actually fix anything.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  49. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Nah. Please report those as bugs.

50. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Challenge accepted. Let's see how this issue is being handled.
    (Case 1299752) Various UI Components cause GCAlloc when enabled

upload_2020-12-16_9-58-28.png

MicCode, Nothke, Virtumonde and 21 others like this.