Search Unity

Bug Unity 2019.3.13f1 - The editor has some kind of input latency and other crazy stuff

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tommohawkaction, May 18, 2020.

1. tommohawkaction

tommohawkaction

Hi,

My team and I decided to upgrade to the latest final version of the Unity 2019 engine and we've noticed quite a few horrible things which make working in the editor a real nightmare and has never happened before.

1) When the editor is lagging, it some what piles all the inputs and then release them all in a matter of a few frames causes issues where we get catapulted across our scene and doesn't stop moving even when we just tap the keys (Editor Scene Camera). This also happens in the game view (Playmode) as well but doesn't affect our Standalone builds.

2) The whole Unity UI sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, for example I want to change a material in a MeshRenderer, I click the little circle next to material and it brings up all the materials in my project, the issue is when I click on a material the materials window just closes like I'm not focused on the editor or something, this also happens to buttons for example Applying a prefab, the button just does the same as the materials window and closes.

Not sure what's going on here, any advice would be grateful.

Tom

2. Xeethrax

Xeethrax

I think I have the same issue as #2. Not sure when it started happening, a few months ago I think. It seems to affect every sort of dialog box in the editor. You open the dialog (color picker, material picker, etc), and you click and the dialog doesn't register it. The editor instead thinks you clicked outside the dialog box and closes it. I sometimes have to reopen it 10-15 times before the click finally registers. It's infuriating.
    I tried using a different mouse but same result. Both Razer, though..

3. lassade

lassade

I'm also having experiencing both #1 and #2 issues. But also been experiencing an #3 issue that I think is linked with the #1 where the inspector massive slows down the editor and game (in playmode) this happens in the particle inspector, on the animation window (when I have too mutch key frames), in the amplify shader editor window, or any other inspectors with lots of fields. Both profiler and frame debuger seams to work fine.

I had the issue #3 since they upgrade to the their UI system, the #2 was introduced in the 2019.3.13f1, (on 2019.3.5f1 the "asset picker" worked fine). Can't quite remember If #1 was present in the later 2019 editions.

After upgraded my project to use the AssetPipeline v2 and deleted my project library folder I no longer can reproduce #2 o_O.

4. tommohawkaction

tommohawkaction

It has made the editor a complete nightmare to work in, we upgraded because the previous version had issues where duplicating objects made all scenes in the hierarchy dirty which for us we use a lot of scene

5. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

+1 - I am experiencing #1 issue all the time. I decided not to upgrade from 2019.3.7f1 because of that. It is unusable for me & my colleagues.

6. Xeethrax

Xeethrax

I didn't really consider the sluggish performance in editor to be unity's fault, but I do recognize the symptoms in #1 as well. It's been that way for a while though (for me). Especially with heavy editor tools, like Archimatix Pro
    #2 is my biggest gripe at the moment, and again - has been for months. I did fire up 2018.4 to confirm that it's *not* an issue there.
    If this was a common problem, I'm sure it would have gotten more attention by now.. so I wonder if there's anything we have in common that could be the source of the issue?

Personally I'm running:
    CPU: i7-4930K @ ~3.9ghz
    RAM: 32 GB @ 2133mhz
    GPU: 1080TI
    Mouse: Razer Mamba (dunno if relevant)
    Monitors: Acer predator x34 with gsync 3440x1440 + some philips 27" 1440p
    HDD: Both unity and projects on samsung 850 evos

CPU is due for an upgrade but otherwise I think performance should be fine. As for software that might be interfering, too much crap installed to even start listing..

7. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

If you have gsync enabled, try disabling that. I've seen people having issues with that before.

Aside from that, please file a bug report.

8. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

I am also experiencing issue #1. It's pretty weird.

9. Janoooba

Janoooba

Yep same here. Upgrading my editor to 2019.3 from 2019.2 absolutely killed it. It has something to do with how many editor windows you have open. I typically work with a dual monitor setup, with my scene, hierarchy, project, and inspector open on my left monitor, and my game and a few other tools on my right. This absolutely KILLED 2019.3's performance, causing input to slow down like #1 described. As soon as I dropped down to the default setup, things improved, but I feel totally gimped not being able to open more than 5 editor windows...

I feel the need to reiterate: This setup worked fine in 2019.2. The input lag makes it completely unworkable.

Edit:
    I sent a bug report with a repro project and steps. It shouldn't be hard to notice. For anyone else here who wants to try and repro:

Open and maximize your Game view on your second monitor, and open a few probuilder windows and snap them wherever.

Now try flying around (Hold right click in the scene view and use WASD). Hold your movement keys for more than a few seconds and you should see them "stick" for almost double the time you held them for.

If not, try opening more windows and/or inspecting something with a complex behaviour, like a large set of arrays.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    MartinTilo and lassade like this.
  10. Xeethrax

Xeethrax

I've had issues with gsync in the past, they are mostly gone afaik. Turning off gsync does nothing to these issues (for me anyway).

11. HiddenMonk

HiddenMonk

I have issue #1 as well. Didnt have it in 2019.3.0f3, but do have it in 2019.3.13f1
    Seems like holding down keyboard keys causes input to be accumulated, mouse movement is also affected.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  12. davidrochin

davidrochin

Is there something like an issue tracker where we can vote for this issue to get solved?

13. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Since no one posted an issue ID here yet, I'm not even sure this is reported. You can make a bug report and then everyone else can upvote that

14. NavidK0

NavidK0

I was having the same issue with #2, but it seems "long-clicking" whatever UI button that opens the dialog "solves" the issue, as suggested here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/color-picker-dialog-is-broken.350596/#post-5866702

Pretty odd, but it might give some insight. It seems to work for me.

davidrochin likes this.
  15. mgear

mgear

things are clearly lagging, for me it maybe happens more if vr device is connected?

i've reported menu lags in #1229024 with 2020.x (but they couldn't reproduce),
    now tried in 2019.3.x, looks like same thing. *2018.3.x no issues.

for example, menu item slow to follow mouse (in 2018.x its much faster)
    uilag.gif

AlanMattano likes this.
  16. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey @mgear thanks for this, mind reporting it while in 2019.3 and attaching the GIF you've used in this post?

17. davidrochin

davidrochin

If someone reported the dialogs issue (no. 2), please post the Issue ID so we can vote.

18. Xeethrax

Xeethrax

NavidK0 likes this.
  19. Janoooba

Janoooba

Any updates on issue #1? I submitted a bug report with a repro, but I haven't heard back at all. I'm beginning to suspect this is a fundamental issue with the new UI system...

lassade and sand_lantern like this.
  20. HiddenMonk

HiddenMonk

I made a video, repro project, and bug report for issue #1 (The Input accumulating in the editor).

Bug report Case #1254428

-Only happens in the editor
    -Happens in 2019.4.0f1 and 2019.3.13f1, did not happen in 2019.3.0f3, unsure about other versions.

This is the script in the project
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class EditorInputAccumilationBug : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public Camera myCamera;
    8.     public float mouseSensitivity = 4f;
    9.     public int framerate = 10;
    11.     void Start()
    12.     {
    13.         Application.targetFrameRate = framerate; //Easier to see the bug at low framerates.
    14.         QualitySettings.vSyncCount = 0;
    15.     }
    17.     void Update()
    18.     {
    19.         myCamera.transform.Rotate(0, Input.GetAxis("Mouse X") * mouseSensitivity, 0);
    20.     }
    21. }

Maybe this guys post is talking about this issue and they already have a fix for it?
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/input-lag-accumulates-at-low-frame-rates.881455/#post-5930972

Playtesting in the editor is painful because of this. If there is anything else I can do to get this fixed faster, please let me know.

21. HiddenMonk

HiddenMonk

I got a reply for the bug report for issue #1

"...
    Thanks for getting in touch, we actually know about this issue and are tracking progress here: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1251652

It has already been fixed in the 2020.2.0a15 Editor version, therefore updating would resolve this issue for you. Also, backports have been opened for the 2019.4 and 2020.1 streams.
    ..."

lassade and sand_lantern like this.
  22. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

Thanks for keeping us in the loop on this. So many of these little things get lost in the shuffle.

HiddenMonk likes this.
  23. Texashawk

Texashawk

Also, I posted this to a similar thread - I was having lag problems of my own but when I managed to capture one with the Profiler on the editor I found that Collaberate was almost freezing my computer at times. I'm attaching my profile report with the affected area to show. Maybe this can help someone here!

Attached Files:

24. oxysofts

oxysofts

Hope we can get this fixed quickly for 2019.4, this is currently a showstopper for certain team members.

25. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

#2 has been plaguing me for months in various versions of the engine from around 2019.3.9 or 2019.3.10 to now 2019.4 LTS.

This affects both the radial button's asset browser and all search functionality in any visual node based tool - Bolt, Flow Canvas, Shader graph. All of them.

I've noticed this is related to my mouse movement. If after pressing the radial button or calling up search functionality in any node based tool I don't move my mouse, and wait for about half a second, the menus will work with mouse input. If I move my mouse too fast, and try to select anything in the list, it dismisses the menu and selecting nothing. The menus always work with keyboard input.

I don't have Gsync, but I use Freesync on a Nvidia card. Time to test if disabling it improves the problem.

EDIT

OH MY GOD, IT WAS FREESYNC ALL ALONG. Jesus christ, this has caused me so much unnecessary pain for months. I was contemplating reinstalling windows since I couldn't find any tickets describing something similar no matter what I searched for.

People, disable Gsync and Freesync (Adaptive Vsync).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    davidrochin likes this.
  26. John_Leorid

John_Leorid

27. HiddenMonk

HiddenMonk

Problem #1 seems to be fixed in 2019.4.3, woo!