Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Color picker dialog is broken

Discussion in 'Linux' started by cra0zy, Aug 27, 2015.

1. cra0zy

cra0zy

Several things are broken in it:
    1) You can't see the RGBA textboxes:
    color.png
    2) Trying to move the window will autoclose it
    3) Tying to resize the window will also autoclose it

The thing that I am doing on being able to pick specific colors(for now) is keeping Gimp window on the side, having one texture in project that just contains one color that I set using gimp and taking colors from it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    AlejMC and thiagofdp like this.
  2. jmcateer

jmcateer

Simply clicking (left or right doesn't matter) on the menu bar will also instantly close the dialog.

Pressing the alt key while the dialog is focused will also close the window (alt+f7 allows you to move a window with arrow keys)

edit: this affects all dialogs similar to the color picker

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    AlejMC likes this.
  3. z3ntu

z3ntu

@jmcateer Left clicking & maximising works on Ubuntu 15.04!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  4. spacepluk

spacepluk

I'm having some trouble with this as well:

1. open a color picker.
    2. try to do anything with it, and it disappears.
    3. try to open it again, and then it crashes.

5. spacepluk

spacepluk

The same happens with other popups like the script selector.

6. quietchaos

quietchaos

I tried to Alt+Space,x to maximize (instead of right-clicking on the titlebar), but it also disappears when I try to bring up the general window menu.

7. Fucken

Fucken

Similar behaviour here. Clicking on the menu bar, moving or resizing autocloses the color picker.
    But I can click the maximize button and the window maximizes to full screen and is usable

I am using ArchLinux with Cinnamon as DE.

8. cician

cician

Same here, on Kubuntu 14.04.

9. alijib

alijib

I was about to mention the same problem and luckily saw this thread.
    And it is happening with every other popup window. Ubuntu 15.04 x 64

10. Takamara

Takamara

Same here using Manjaro and KDE Plasma Desktop 5.4 - cant resize it in any way - with mouse instant closes window, maximise doesnt alter window size and neither does resize from the window actions menu :( Mainly annoying for the lack of access to the alpha slider for transparency.

11. Justice_Developer

Justice_Developer

Same here running vanilla Ubuntu 14.04 with Unity DE.
    Also on AMD GPU with proprietary (fglrx) drivers if that matters.

12. Chaoseiro

Chaoseiro

Well, I tried to reproduce the mentioned behaviour but the color picker is working fine here... Are you using the latest available build?
    (don't mind the colors, gif compression only)

Other windows also work fine, I only have a problem when trying to drag from one screen to another (dual-screen setup) as I've mentioned in another thread.
    Ubuntu 15.04 x64
    UnityDE (UnityDE and Unity3D, all Unity around here xD)
    Running Unity through optirun (nVidia Optimus notebook...) [GT-540M]

13. alijib

alijib

Because it's corrected in new built.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-on-linux-release-notes-and-known-issues.350256/#post-2298239

14. AZeroEight

AZeroEight

I had the same issue on Gentoo Linux - using the latest release fixes it for me, too.

15. AlejMC

AlejMC

Was this ever fixed?
    I'm still having this issue... not only color picker but everything picker (object picker, component picker, etc)
    Sometimes I click, hit esc, click, hit esc many many times over (kinda warming it up or flushing the queue of missing or weird click events pending or something), opening the color picker again will tend to make it work.

Would be nice to finally a have a fully working color picker.

(Currently on Unity 2019.3.10f1)

Hint: you can tab your way to the numbers at least. Officially naming it "ColorTyper" not picker.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Ermiq and Saniell like this.
  16. dimaswift

dimaswift

Same still happening randomly in Unity 2019.3.11f1
    gotta be the most annoying bug so far

Xain likes this.
  17. Xain

Xain

It's driving me crazy. Sometimes I have to reopen the color window 4-5 time.
    Unity 2019.3.10f1

18. onogodzirra

onogodzirra

Getting this, along with other dialogs (like the Anchor Presets on Transforms), closing on 2019.3.13f1. Pretty unsuable

Xain likes this.
  19. online_frog

online_frog

Having this issue on 2019.3.13f1. To work around it you have to do an extra long click on whatever is opening the popup. Works every time.

My guess is it has to do with when the editor is running a bit slow, if LMB is released before the popup window is created and repainted, then the popup window doesn't catch your next mouse down, your click goes through the window, making it think you clicked outside of the window, closing it.

NavidK0 and Xain like this.
  20. Goa

Goa

That doesnt work for me. And its getting worse and worse. (2019.3.14f1, windows 10, double monitor)

The problem seems to be happening when opening the new window and not when clicking on it.
    If the window has ui item that changes the pointer, like a resizeable part of the ui like this: upload_2020-5-22_12-2-1.png
    then it will only change the pointer in the instances when the UI will work and will register the click.

Also, it seems to be not related to fps, or playmode. But it seems the more times you open a window the worse it gets, and restarting the editor resets that.

21. RockingRolli

RockingRolli

Experiencing the same issue with 2019.3.15f on Ubuntu 19.04. It is not only the color picker dialog, but pretty much all dialogs. Works with 2020.1.0.b103837

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  22. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey everyone,

I'll send this post over to see if I can get a response!

MertCanYeg, saskenergy and Xain like this.
  23. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey @mk0a1a, I spoke to some people and I've been asked if you as well as anyone else here can send in a bug report with a recorded video on this issue so we can chase it through the process.

You can read here on how to send a report.

I hope this helps!

24. Weightless

Weightless

I'm really not sure why you would need a video for this. They always ask for videos in these bug reports for some reason and if you make them and send them in the end you just don't get an answer.

25. mohammadgarous

mohammadgarous

same problem on elemntary os on 2019.4.0 lte unity version

26. HappyPlaying

HappyPlaying

Same thing here, Ubuntu 20.04 and Unity 2020.17a. Different windows keep disappearing, e.g. gradient > color chooser, sprite editor > choose slice type, game view > add new resolution

27. nikdex

nikdex

Same bug PopOS 2020 (Ubuntu) and Unity 2019.3.15f1.

28. veritas1

veritas1

Same issues on PopOS 20.04 and Unity 2019.4.1f1
    • Click on title bar or try to resize any pop up window and the window closes.
    • Some property that opens the color picker directly works BUT trying to open the color picker from an intermediate pop up window (such as gradient tool) closes both pop up windows immediately.

29. unity_lmOsAJHE5YpEIA

unity_lmOsAJHE5YpEIA

[October 7, 2020]
    I also experienced this issue but found 2 ways to prevent pop-up windows from disappearing (like the Gradient Editor and Color Picker).

1st: Do not use Unity in fullscreen. As simple as that. Just exit full screen, then extend the borders of Unity by manually dragging each border to the edge of your screen.

2nd [Temporary]: While in fullscreen, click once on the pop-up window before it disappears. Assume that you want to choose a color for a material, but when you click the color in the material's options, the Color Picker window appears for a split second then disappears again. If you are fast enough, as soon as you click the trigger that shows the Color Picker window, click once on the Color Picker window and it should not disappear. Unfortunately, you have to this every time when you click another pop-up window trigger.

Personally, I prefer the first option. I hope it works for you. By the way, I am using Mac OS.

cy118 likes this.
  30. NurlanDNM

NurlanDNM

Same issues on elementary OS 5.1.7 Hera Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS and Unity 2019.4.28f1 , 2020.3.14f1