Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2019.3.0f5 Enter playmode is a lot slower than f3

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by mahdi_jeddi, Jan 21, 2020.

1. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

After we updated to Unity 2019.3.0f5 the enter playmode got a lot slower. We're using the new playmode settings to not reload domain and scene. On f3 the game would've played almost instantaneously but now we're gonna have to wait 5-6 seconds to play the game. I actually opened the game on the f3 again to make sure I didn't change anything in the project that could do this.

My guess is that it's because of the new change in sprite atlases that removed the storedHash that would've changed if it's built on different machines and would've cause problems when using a source control. This is what I'm getting in the profiler when using it to profile the Editor itself:

3ed916a4748e06425a7b85b0d90aee7a.png
    We have a lot of sprites so this makes sense to have a little bit of loading at the start, but that big EnterPlayMode pause isn't there when we're loading the game on f3.
    Does anyone else have this problem? I'm trying to see if I can reproduce this in a small project and file a bug report.

2. Venkify

Venkify

Unity Technologies

@mahdi_jeddi Since 2019.3.0f5 storedHash is stored in SpriteAtlasDatabase for each Atlas and is still being used for tracking. So functionally remains the same.

However will take a look at this issue asap and update this thread soon. Thanks for reporting.

Lars-Steenhoff and Peter77 like this.
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

4. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

@Venkify Thanks. I tried a lot in the past few days to reproduce it in a small project. But it seems that it depends on the size of the sprite atlases more than the number of them. So I would have to make a big project to make it reproducible. I got it once with lots of atlases which had lots of sprites in them, so it's definitely a problem in sprite atlases.

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Looks like we were able to reproduce this internally. A current workaround would be to switch to ADBv1.

phobos2077 and Peter77 like this.
  6. 00christian00

00christian00

Can you always switch between ADB 1 and 2 without losing anything?

7. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

Switching to ADBv1 didn't change anything for me. Still getting 6+ seconds of stall when entering the playmode.

8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

In that case it might be a separate issue after all. Does it just depend on the size of the included atlases or are there other conditions to trigger the behaviour as well?

9. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

I tried to reduce it to a specific thing but wasn't successful. I'll try again today to reproduce it and send a bug report.

LeonhardP likes this.
  10. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

I couldn't reproduce it again so I sent an empty bug report to get a cloud access to upload the whole project. I'll update this post when I send the whole project.
    Case: 1214782